Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Re-homing a dog, don't shoot me.
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

This is just an ‘If’ at the moment so bear with me please.

We have a dog.
    This one, Wilma…

Who’s a 7 month old Fox Red Lab.
    I didn’t want a dog, as I said plainly on here but Mrs EGF did, so we got Wilma.
    Things may have been ok but Mrs EGF is really unwell at the moment & could be for some time (she’s actually lying in the ITU in Harrogate District Hospital as I type) I don’t need to go into much detail but complications have set in since she had a bowel cancer op last Wednesday.
    Wilma is lovely, I fuss over her loads & am a dog/animal lover but as I said, I didn’t want a dog. I’m getting 2 good walks a day in while Sue’s in hospital & have done exactly 17.9 miles on the bike in 7 weeks.
    I very much doubt Sue will be able to cope with Wilma for a while when she gets home & I’m struggling to cope anyway!
    Sue did have the fleeting thought when we picked Wilma up from the breeder, ‘am I doing the right thing’. Maybe it was a premonition?
    Wer’e both 60 & family are too far away to help.
    What the hell do we do if Sue decides Wilma’s too much for us/her to look after properly when she comes home?

It’s a bit dusty in our front room for some reason.

Jamie
    Free Member

Maybe try something like Borrow My Doggy? My sister has people take her dog out during the week as she is at work all day. Although, she did say it took a little while to find someone reliable.

https://www.borrowmydoggy.com/

Honestly, rehoming may be for the best. Offer to friends/family maybe so Mrs can still see her?

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have contacts with animal rescue centres/networks and if it comes to that I will take her from you to her rehomed properly. If you like i will do it temporary to see if it is what you really want to do- few weeks
    Dont worry about the dog you have enough on your plate.

e-mail me if required and best wishes /hope wife is ok

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bruneep

Its all about the grass isn’t it. 😉

SaxonRider

Do you want the Saxon family to take care of her for a while?

spooky_b329

If the breeder is a good one, they may take her back?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Thanks Junky but no way is going anywhere near a rescue centre! I know dogs mainly end up in a good home but.. well you know.

Saxon, thanks also but your’e miles away in Welsh Wales isn’t it (she’s actually laid on her back watching Nashville at Anaheim, game 2, so you’d probably get on well)

We’ll probably have to see how it goes I suppose. I may not be biking, or fishing or doing much else for a while apart from looking after a dog I didn’t want.

If the breeder is a good one, they may take her back?

That could be a thought but he’s already got 30 various of his own that he uses for picking up on shoots.

simmy
    Free Member

I know a lot of people in the dog community so give me a shout if you need to rehome her. I might be able to tie her up with someone via Lab Rescue or similar.

Klunk
    Free Member

don’t shoot me

you want us to shoot the dog ? 😕 😯

Drac

Maybe because the way things are you’re not thinking clear. I do hope your wife recovers soon.

Wookster

Hi mate, I’m near Keswick so not miles and miles away, if you need some rest-bite doggy care! We have a two year old doodle, who loves company and has the paws walked off him, plays fetch, swims and plays tug most of the day inbetween naps and being adored, so a tough life!! You can visit if you want and see if you like us before committing no pressure. But she’d be most welcome.

Been in the same situation ourself years ago, we were luck and my parents could take the dog, who just lives the most fantastic life, but at the time a very ill wife and two kids under three was all I could handle. As hard as it was I cried the who,e way in the car to drop her to her new home I knew it was the right thing to do and it really was.

Either way hope your wife is doing well and you’re looking after yourself too.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Thanks Wookster, that’s fantastic of you to say that & pleased you know what I mean. I love dogs but didn’t want one & now this crap’s happened. (does that make any actual sense)
    You could be 1st in line if it comes to the crunch, which I kind of hope it doesn’t.
    I love Keswick. Spent LOTS of camping time at High Bridge End farm next to Thirlmere when I was a kid.

Wookster

No I know what you mean about hoping it doesn’t come to it but the offer is there mate, it’s a hard old time your having from the sound of things. I’ll drop you an email so you’ve got a contact, fingers crossed for you all it will result in is a pint next year once your wife is better and the dust has settled and the pooch is still with you!! She’d be very welcome to stay for a while or forever.

nealglover
    Free Member

OP where do you live? I know a couple of people who would be happy to foster short or long term if needed.

Depending on location may be an option.

firestarter
    Free Member

I can’t help with the dog I’m afraid with four kids and three cats I’m all tied up.

But had to say the generosity of people on here never fails to astounded me. There really are some lovely people, and some others too of course 😉

Best wishes to Mrs egf for a speedy recovery mate

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Thanks for everyone’s replies. I know I can be a silly sod on here sometimes but most folk on here are awesome. Sorry *awesumz*!
    I try to keep smiling even in times of adversity.

moose
    Free Member

Mate, I’ll put the word out amongst my dog friendly pals up your neck of the woods. I’ll let you know what drops back.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Cheers Moose.

wolly
    Free Member

I’m only down the road if you need a week/few days off I’d happily look after your hound.

Sandwich

Don’t forget that Wilma is also doing a good job of distracting you from the worry of a very ill wife in ITU. She’s a useful structure to your day (it may not feel like it just now) where without her you would be home waiting for next visiting time and fretting.

I hope you get a foster placement sorted and it works for you. Have a look at the breed rescue pages online, they should be happy to sort a shorter/long-term foster place for you. (It may cost some money though).

maccruiskeen

Balance the benefits of owning the dog with the obstacles you’re facing. Lots of things are going to change – you’re wife’s health and needs will change and improve – recovery means every day is a different kind of challenge. During that time your dog will get older and more mature, more of a companion and less of a responsibility. If the dog gives valuable companionship to either of you perhaps look at short term solutions rather than permanent arrangements for rehoming. Initiatives like Borrow my Dog exist but theres all sorts of dog walking / doggy daycare services available (which obviously cost money) but are also much more reactive to your needs from day to day – if that means you’re doing one walk a day instead of two that might relieve just enough pressure for now – and you can use more of, or less of, that help from day to day as your needs change. Apart from the practical help of wearing your dog out for an hour, the fringe benefit of using a dog walker / borrow-my-dog – is someone nice coming and saying hello to you every day.

graemecsl
    Free Member

Another offer of help here, although it looks like your covered and we’re probably a bit too far down south for your liking, but we’d love to look after her for you for as long as you need us to. She’d be out with me on the bike twice a day, live in a little valley with fields to run about in and a nice pub to take me to.

Genuine offer, email in the profile. Hope things work out ok for the Mrs and they can be together again.

Esme
    Free Member

Some of these “holiday homes” sound so attractive that Wilma won’t want to go home again!

I hope that Mrs EGF is now making good progress, and looking forward to being pampered when she’s released discharged.

oldracer
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with rescues OP – first off you need to think of the dog & ditch your prejudice.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Re-homing a dog, don't shoot me.’ is closed to new replies.