Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Re grouting…….dremel or the like?
  • granny_ring

The time has come to tackle the bathroom tiling, not a job I'm looking forward to with any enthusiasm it must be said.

Just tried one of those raking tools and having got nowhere fast on one tile, was thinking there must be an easier way surely?

Are the dremel things worth splashing out on to get the job done with less swearing? If so any particular model or any equivalent makes worth it?

Thanks in advance

Mugboo

I used a cheap B&Q one to do a shower.

Its an akward job but works just fine. Be aware its seemed ineveitable that you occasionally slip and mark a tile or two, or i'm clumsy!

Good luck, you can always sell it on ebay afterwards.

tree-magnet
    Free Member

A dremel is one of the handiest power tools to have around though, I'd keep hold of it, you'll be surprised how many jobs it makes easier.

Oh, and for tiles it's great. I did mine using one and so long as you take your time and don't rush, there shouldn't be any dramas.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Fein Multimaster.

Spongebob
    Free Member

I tried a Dremmel and found it wasn't really man enough for the job. so i used a soft wire brush, grout cleaner and a wallpaper steamer to restore the original. Then went over the whole thing with some fresh grout. looked alright to me.

Solo
    Free Member

I thought there was a sonic tool for this purpose ?, or have I just imagined that ??

mogrim

I thought there was a sonic tool for this purpose ?, or have I just imagined that ??

Yeah, that funny man on the TV with the blue box spaceship thing has one.

gusamc
    Free Member

don't know what you're doing but you can use grout whitener to 'freshen things up' if existing grout is ok

Stoner
    Free Member

this attachment ought to help avoid scoring tiles.
    Never used a machine to remove grout, always used a rake before.

ahwiles
    Free Member

that's odd – i was doing mine last night.

i found that a corkscrew did as good a job as the grout-raking-tool.

i've gone for the 'if it's tricky to get out – it can bloody well stay in' approach. – i've dug down at least a mill, just to give the new stuff a fighting chance of sticking in.

granny_ring

Just had a look, is the Dremel 300 model powerful enough or should I spend £90+ for the 4000?
    Anyone used the kit stoner has shown?

Thanks again

granny_ring

Anyone?

MrAgreeable

I have a Dremel 300 which we just used to redo some of the bathroom grout. The kit Stoner shows is a bit pricey for what it is, and apparently quite fragile, but the tile cutting bit on its own is pretty cheap, and works fine. If you're worried about damaging the tiles you could probably bodge some sort of guide quite easily. Just be aware that it makes a LOT of dust.

granny_ring

Cheers Mr Agreeable.

So you used the grouting tool shown above without the guide thingy or something else? Sorry for being thick…..

lipseal
    Free Member

Get one of these

Exakt Saw
    “Easy to use” The Metro

Introducing the new, improved Exakt Saw from JML. This firm DIY favourite has just got even better – with newly designed features that make it even quicker and easier to use.
    With its beautifully engineered, patented design – Exakt Saw is a revolution in home renovation and hobbies. Forget hand saws, jigsaws and circular saws, they’re too bulky, heavy and can be tricky to use. Whether you’re a pro or an amateur, this precision mini saw lets you tackle a whole host of DIY jobs with ease and accuracy. The powerful motor spins the blade at 4000 rpm, to make sawing through wood, tiles, plastic, slate, laminates, even metal a breeze – up to a depth of 12mm. Thanks to the unique dust extraction system, Exakt Saw even clears away the messy sawdust for you.
    With improved styling and ergonomic comfort, we’re confident you’ll reach for this incredible cutting tool again and again. Now you can whip through home renovation projects by speeding up tiling, flooring and woodwork!
    This complete kit comes with everything you need to get started – including 3 quality sawing blades. Exakt Saw also comes in its own stylish and durable aluminum carry case.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Achieve professional results 🙂

Tinners

The first – and last – time I tried this, it was a complete disaster. It was one of those flashes of inspiration (like using wire wool to clean the bugs welded to the windscreen) that seemed like a good idea at the time, but ended in failure.
    First, you've got to wedge yourself into the shower cubicle (where you'll find that you can't bend over 90 degrees to do the low bits. Next, if you've got a dodgy shower, like we used to have, you'll be dodging the constant drip, drip threat of imminent electrocution from above. By far the most difficult aspect is the control of the machine itself. You fire it up and it whirs away smoothly at about a million rpm and all seems well. As soon as the tip of the drill touches the grout it jumps and thrashes away like a bucking broncho while you struggle to deploy the "off" switch. When the dust settles, you'll see that you've carved a zig zag pattern on the tiles all the way down. Not to be defeated, most blokes will then have another go, and another, just to prove to the observing wife that it CAN be done and it WAS a good idea. Before you know where you are, you have to stop due to inhalation of so much particulate grout that your lungs are clogged, the adjoining rooms look like a winter snowscape and the tiled area is totally ruined.
    I'll spare you the details, but as a direct result of a "fifteen minute re-grout" one bank holiday Monday about 10 years ago, I had to then retile the en-suite room, replace the ensuite floor (floor boards, not joists as well, thankfully) and repaint the ceiling of the hallway below. An industrial vax managed to salvage the carpets and Mrs T didn't speak to me for a week.
    Don't go there.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

As I said before…

Fein Multimaster with grout removal tool.

Beg, borrow, steal…

It'll be one of the best tools you'll ever buy.

granny_ring

lol Tinners, made me think now!
    deadlydarcy, your probably right but too pricey for me and dont know anyone with one unfortunately.
    Lipseal, does that use a disc or drill type bit for grout removal?

ahwiles
    Free Member

things are ticking along nicely here; old grout is out, new grout is in*, and has been left alone for 24 hours.

i've just finished the new sealant – i used the heel of a scalpel handle to run it over – and it looks jolly good.

isn't DiY fun? – i definitely wouldn't rather be out on the night ride.

(*as above – i just scraped out what i could, mostly with a corkscrew)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Re grouting…….dremel or the like?’ is closed to new replies.