Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Re-discovered the joys of riding a Hardtail
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Morning folks,

Having been riding various suspension bikes over the last 5 years I recently built up a 456 summer season with some spare parts I had knocking about.

It’s got 140mm Revs on it, some fairly nice kit ranging from Formula brakes, mostly x9 kit with a SRAM XX rear mech (I bought a 10 speed chain and cassette to finish the build). Running it 1 x 10.

Having taken it out for a blast recently I’m enjoying riding it a lot more than my 5″ trail bike. It is so much more flickable and accelerates brilliantly,

I’m not sure whether its the skinny 27.2 seatpost or it is the internet heralded “feel of steel” but it’s so much more compliant than the rigid frames I’ve ran in the past.

Rather than slogging it out and panting I’m finding myself pulling small whips and table tops off of some pretty small jumps and natural features in trail. I’m finding myself flicking the back wheel out before corners and generally playing on the bike much more than i have done in years.

I am enjoying my riding so much more than I have been doing recently. I didn’t even realise how much my suspension bikes have been taking away from my enjoyment of the trails.

I’m going to give myself a summer of choice and if I keep finding myself picking up the hardtail I reckon I might sell the “big bike” on in the Autumn.

There’s no question to this post, I just wanted to share my recent experience of my renewed enjoyment of riding. 🙂

Conan257
    Free Member

I’m thinking of moving back to a hardtail after 12 years of FS bikes…

Problem is I don’t think it’ll be that easy to sell my FTM Carbon 🙁

adsh
    Free Member

I’m rediscovering my sore back and butt……

They’re great – the ability to feel every stamp on the pedals and the outright speed is great but it does come at a price on rougher ground. I sometimes wonder about the long term effect on my back

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thejesmonddingo

What’s the problem selling the ftm?

globalti
    Free Member

I never went down the FS route; I fitted suspension forks reluctantly in the late 90s and have now gone back to a rigid carbon fork. Most XC mountain biking doesn’t need suspension; admittedly it makes a difference to levels of tiredness after a long ride but a rigid XC bike can still go anywhere and can be shouldered up a mountain, which for me was always the point of mountain biking.

xiphon
    Free Member

I’ve switched from 2 full-sus (Patriot… AM build… and 222… full-on DH build) to one single hardtail… Dialled Bikes PA, with Fox 36s up front.

Been DH racing on it (Hardtail category), and 30mile XC loops. One light wheel set, one burly wheelset.

nickhead
    Free Member

Nice PA, xiphon! I respect your commitment to a brave colour scheme

Funnily enough, I was out on my PA yesterday for the first time in 3 months. Rode it with similar set up (36s up front) over winter before building up my full sus in Feb. It’s been languishing waiting to have some parts replaced since. It’s now got a set of 130mm revelations but still a build erring on the side of burly.

Personally – i struggled yesterday, and as much as I love the old frame (had it since 2005) – my back wasn’t thanking me. I’m not light, small or young anymore and while I can see myself continuing to use it for local loops that would be pointless on a full sus – I’m not sure I would choose to take it on rough/long trail centre type loops again.

That said – on the muddy/loamy off-piste descents I took it down, I had a blast, and it reminded me why I still have a soft spot for it.

My current n+1 bike is the PA 29er – I’m thinking a more appropriately sized frame and the bigger wheels might make things a bit easier on the spine/knees

Conan257
    Free Member

thejesmonddingo – Member
    What’s the problem selling the ftm?

Selling it at a price which allows me to get a decent enough HT frame… Even replacing it with a 456C would mean pulling about £400 to ensure I can cover headset/new cables etc…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Well I took my hardtail out for the first time in a while last week and hated it. It was slower, beat me up and far less manouverable than my much heavier FS. With the FS I was pedalling less, using the pop of the suspension, getting off the ground so much more. I was going to keep the hardtail but now I think i’ll be ditching it. The FS is so much faster and so much more of a capable bike, and means I can ride harder for much longer than on a hardtail. Much more fun. funny how different people can come to completely opposite conclusions.

mangatank
    Free Member

Recently moved back to a hardtail after 3 years on FS. It’s a much more physical, demanding experience, but for me, much more rewarding.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Well I took my hardtail out for the first time in a while last week and hated it. It was slower, beat me up and far less manouverable than my much heavier FS. With the FS I was pedalling less, using the pop of the suspension, getting off the ground so much more. I was going to keep the hardtail but now I think i’ll be ditching it. The FS is so much faster and so much more of a capable bike, and means I can ride harder for much longer than on a hardtail. Much more fun. funny how different people can come to completely opposite conclusions.

+1

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

mrjmt – Member

+1

You should just learn how to ride a hardtail properly.

monkeychild
    Free Member

And why are you getting rid of the Titus mr conan???

svalgis
    Free Member

I like blue. You don’t like blue? Maybe you should learn to see it properly!

mangatank
    Free Member

You should just learn how to ride a hardtail properly.

That’s a bit harsh 😆

I totally agree with wobbliscot regarding FS. All of that is exactly correct. The enjoyment factor in hardtails comes from their limitations. Remember James may explaining why he thought a Fiat Panda was just as exciting as a supercar? It’s the same with hardtails and FS bikes: When you flog a hardtail, you’re much closer to the edge of it’s performance more of the time. That, for some of us at least, is interesting.

xiphon
    Free Member

When you flog a hardtail, you’re much closer to the edge of it’s performance more of the time.

99% of riders probably come nowhere near the performance edge (despite what they might think 😉 !

Quite simply – some prefer the soft squishy FS, others prefer the hard “direct trail feedback” of a HT.

mangatank
    Free Member

99% of riders probably come nowhere near the performance edge

Perhaps I should rephrase that to ‘…closer to the edge of the rider’s ability’ then?

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m not really going back to hardtail but after a few months of FS only I’ve had the urge to build one up again. Got myself an identical frame to this and I’m using it as inspiration as it looks so awesome. Only real difference is I’ll have it singlespeed and more superstar/budget parts!

I do overall prefer full sus though as I find hardtails don’t feel as balanced, unless I have the fork set pretty hard. Dunno if that’s just down to having the compression on the fork set up wrong though? I don’t really understand suspension properly beyond sag and rebound.

chiefgrooveguru

That’s a bit harsh

It would be less harsh on an 853 steel frame… 😉

julioflo
    Free Member

Xiphon – Is that my old Mk1 PA frame??!!!! Awesome. Loved that frame. Have you got the forks reduced to 140 or shorter? It was great fun at 140mm up front, but handled singletrack much better at 130.

Great to see new life in Pinky!

xiphon
    Free Member

@julioflo Yes, it’s your old one.

I have a spare wheelset (Hope Hoops with skinny tyres) and longer seatpost (with identical saddle) for trail centres/long days out.

That build is “downhill mode” (hence Saints, Mono6s, chunky tyres…) ready for this: http://www.nofussevents.co.uk/event/Fort-William-Fat-Tyre-Weekend/2949/

RE: Forks

I have 36 TALAS, so can wind it in/out as I like (100mm to 150mm in 3mm increments).

@_tom_ Have a look:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/technical-tuesday-suspension-basics-2010.html

They have several Tech Tuesday vids on suspension technology

deanfbm
    Free Member

Hardtails are awesome. (screw>120mm forks on one though)

FS is awesome.

I always need both. Having both opens up/closes down features on every trail, meaning you have more good times on the trail you have to ride.

PS, if a hardtail is getting sore on your arse/back, surely you’re sitting down too much over bumps? No?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’ve ridden HT almost exclusively for the past 3 years (Chameleon and Soul). I love the lack of maintenance and the fact that there is so much less to break on the trail.

It’s made me a far better rider too, I have no problem out-descending most of the riders in my weekly ride group, and have to say, I think it’s a far more “involving” ride and I really enjoy the challenge.

And when I get back on my Blur, I frighten the living daylights out of myself, as my skill level allows me to go far faster than my fear level can tolerate!!

moonboy
    Free Member

have both and try to have both in working order most of the time.

HT is another dialled PA and its built up fairly hardy spec, coil pikes, old school 3×9 x9, formula 1s, syncros on proIIs, smattering of ck and thomson…

like the poster above I like the relatively low maintenance aspect and while for most bigger days I take the FS (which cost more than 2x) there are some days when both are good and the PA is the one I take out.

Usually ride one bike for 4-5 rides then swap. Love both, wouldn’t want to sell either.

the_lecht_rocks

i’ve a nicolai helius ac 29er and titus/on one fireline evo 29er.

both exceptional bikes, both have their advantages / etc.

netither is better, just different.

would not however be without a hardtail. ideal tool for Glentress / Inners / Tomintoul [TBC]…. 😈

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Re-discovered the joys of riding a Hardtail’ is closed to new replies.