Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • RE: Devils Punchbowl and the Quiet Lane
  • variflex
    Free Member

Evening Everyone,
    Just a gentle reminder to those who ride around the devils punchbowl at hindhead and the gibbett downhills not to drive up the quiet lane and randomly park on the side. Please park at the designated car parks or actual surrounding roads rather than quiet lanes and BOATs….and dare I say it, actually ride the bikes.

Since the old A3 was ripped up and the old quiet lane resurfaced to link the BOATs the amount of cars and 4×4’s has increased by I reckon 10 to 20 fold.

I stopped two riders today in their van and car to point out that common sense would say not to drive up the “quiet lane” which is more of a walkers lane on a bank holiday weekend.

The best bit was when one of the riders in his blinged up red van told me he needed to drive up there to get where he was going..he shut up when I mentioned I too rode those downhills and never felt the need to drive up there.

With large numbers of families with young kids and dogs etc enjoying the Nat Trust walks etc at weekends its frustrating to have to stop, grab kids, dog every few minutes for people who have no reasonable excuse for using the route.

Fair enough for those who need to use it in order to get to the youth hostel (although there is a different preferred route anyway) or have a valid reason, but for those people who simply use it to get somewhere quicker need to think again.

Anyway, rant over and I encourage anyone who feels the same to flag down and query those using it as to why they feel the need, in a nice and polite manner, and of course thank them afterwards for keeping their speed down 🙂

Anyway, glad the trails are finally drying out!

fourbanger
    Free Member

Don’t get it, it’s a road right?

variflex
    Free Member

Technically yes for historical reasons rather than necessity. (just about width of car designated as a quiet lane for some reason that goes back a long way and no longer relevant from what I gather, but could be wrong)

Cars dont need to use it and only put other people at risk and ruin what is a fantastic place. There are moves to get it closed but that will have to go to high court as per usual for such matters. All a bit NIMBY I know, but hey I think its a logical and pretty good argument as I normally hate NIMBY stuff and shy away from it.

My point is: why use it when you’re only going to be riding a bike anyway, for the sake of a few hundred metres its pure laziness.

jekkyl

Yes you are right it is laziness but if people are allowed to park there legally then you’ll have to Suck it up I’m afraid.

variflex
    Free Member

ah, they can drive it, but actually parking is another grey area and the yellow paint will be out soon enough at this rate and if the national trust were smart they would start clamping to help bolster their coffers 🙂

Agree about not being able to do much about it, hey ho.
    Getting ready for the normal flaming on here..lol

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Do you think it’s folk just trying to avoid the parking fee at the NT car park?

variflex
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – yes, wouldnt suprise me if that was a factor also.

jambalaya
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    Do you think it’s folk just trying to avoid the parking fee at the NT car park?

Assuming I am thinking of the eight place … thats exactly why I park there, the NT car park is very expensive

OP where do you suggest I park for free to enjoy the walks and biking in the area ?

ask1974
    Free Member

Considering you can access the whole area from any number of local villages where parking is both free and abundant there’s zero excuse for parking in a sensitive location. OK as Variflex notes you’re technically allowed to but just because you can doesn’t mean you should; it’s one of those issues that could become a problem if misused and riders have zero excuse for parking at the top…

It’s the same with some motorbike riders which is even worse considering they have a bloody engine!

If you can’t be arsed to pay a small amount to the company who look after and protect the area then at least have the common curtesy to park somewhere else rather than force walkers, kids and pets off the lane. I’m With the OP and it’s true of any number of ride spots. It’s just plain disrespectful and lazy…

Jambalaya, if the fees bother you I would park up either in Haslemere or Thursley and ride up. The bonus is a cracking decent back to the car after tea and cake 😉 either that or Grayshott, BeaconHill, Hindhead, Grayswood etc…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘RE: Devils Punchbowl and the Quiet Lane’ is closed to new replies.