Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Re-assembling chainrings (road bike)
  • pmcclure
    Free Member

I took my triple chainrings to pieces the other day to get rid of all the crap that had built up between them.

I stupidly didn’t make a note of how they were assembled, but think I lined everything up correctly when re-building

Out on bike last night everything felt and sounded very rough.

Any got any suggestions on how I can check its been rebiult the correct way?

Thanks in advance

mrmo
    Free Member

look closely at the chainring there is usually a marker. If there is a pin( in theory stops the chain jamming between the crank arm and the chainring) then that goes behind the crank arm.

Does also depend on what chainset you have, 4 arm, 5arm, psuedo 4 arm.

pmcclure
    Free Member

5 arm. The outer chain ring pin is aligned with the crank. The small ring has an indentation which is also aligned with the crank. The middle one has 10 x 3 which is aligned with the crank, but I’m not to sure if the writing should be facing in or out (would insert a picture if I knew how to)

pmcclure
    Free Member
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

but I’m not to sure if the writing should be facing in or out (would insert a picture if I knew how to)

Right. There will be pick-up pins, ramps and shaping of the teeth to enable smooth pick up of the chain. All this lot should face the inside of the bike

This isn’t the best pic but you can see the middle ring is sort of ‘profiled inwards’ and you can see the back od the pick up pins on the inner and outer rings

IMG_1399 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Just seen you epic, which looks OK to me., but do you see that little tab on the inner ring thats aligned with the cranks? There should be one of those on the middle ring, which should also be aligned with the crank. There is on MTB chain sets, put it that way!

Im’m not sure it would make a massive difference though

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Re-assembling chainrings (road bike)’ is closed to new replies.