Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • RCT3 damper—- how firm is your 'lock'?
  • walla24
    Free Member

Initially on my sids the lockout was/felt absolute in the 3rd ‘lock’ position, however now when you lean on them they will slowly sink to about 40% way through the travel.

They have just come back from SRAM tech centre with a clean bill of health on the compression side of things….but it’s a bit odd really.

So how firm is your lock folks?

chakaping
    Free Member

Quite firm (Revs), pretty much locked out IIRC.

jairaj

Have you tried increasing the floodgate threshold?

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

jairaj – Member
    Have you tried increasing the floodgate threshold?

This.

julians
    Free Member

The rct3 damper (the charger damper) in my brand new , never been ridden, so I hope they’re not broken, pikes is still relatively soft when in the locked position, there is still a fair amount of movement. They’re a load stiffer than in the open position, but they’re far from ‘locked’ out.

deadkenny
    Free Member

They’re not a true lock out. Just firm. Movement is as designed. Not that I ever use it or need it.

walla24
    Free Member

there is no floodgate adjustment? just low speed compression?

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

just low speed compression?

That’s the fella – have you tried adding a couple of clicks?

walla24
    Free Member

just tried, very slightly firmer with it dialled all the way round but can still push through to 40% of travel?

bigjim

I think that probably means you don’t have quite enough oil in the damper leg. Certainly can’t compress mine that far on lockout mode, get a couple mm at the start but then solid.

julians
    Free Member

you need to be sure you’re talking about the same damper, I think some people on here (the ones with the solidly locked fork when in locked mode) are talking about the old rct3 damper, whereas others (like me with the non solidly locked out fork) are talking about the new RCT3 damper sometimes referred to as the charger damper.

they are different – So OP, what model and year of fork have you got?

gardron
    Free Member

So this was a mates experience over the last month on a set of 2014 SIDs. Said mate runs a bike shop, is a decent mechanic; basically knows what he’s on about.

Just as you describe, he had exactly the same thing where initially the forks would drop a fraction when locked but they were going to 30-40% now, albeit a bit stiffer.
    Sent back off to sram tech who said it’d been checked and it was fine. Got it back, no different.
    Sent back again, where they said it’d had the damper swapped out and it was the same and all fine. Got it back, no different.
    Sent it back a third time, spoke to the guys on the phone about it before it was sent back and said that if it came back like that again, he’d send them off to tftuned and send them the bill. Magically, the forks came back fixed.

May be a coincidence, and I may be a cynical bugger for thinking anything else, but it was a very noticeable difference.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Little hijack, sorry!

Will TF be able to sort any warranty issues out, or do they still have to go to SRAM? Having some problems with my Pikes. Nothing major, they’ve developed a slight “drop” when they’re unweighted. Doesn’t affect performance, but it’s a bit disconcerting when you’re riding.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Let all the air Out and pump it back up, remember to have the shock open. Worked on my Fox ctd when it started doing That.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

A firm lock?

Gotta be careful how you say that, eh?

Anonymous
    Free Member

My floodgate gets less lockout as a ride progresses even in fully locked out mode. This with 2014 black stanchion SID RCT3 fork.

According to TF tuned there is an issue where a little flap thingy doesn’t seal on some forks.

walla24
    Free Member

Yep so to clarify mine are 2014 Sids RCT3, fast black 120mm solo airs.

I can’t help being cynical simply because the first few months the lock was absolute and now there is a massive difference.

Having said that I have quickly spoken to Sram tech and TFtuned who both say it is normal to be able to ‘force’ it through the lockout.

Surely it wouldn’t be called a ‘lock’ if it didn’t actually lock!?

Very tempted to pass them back to sram warranty….

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I’ve had the same problem on my DPA Pikes (120-160mm). I upped the pressure from 65 to 80psi and cycled it through the travel, which seemed to fix it. However, the fork is sitting in its travel without being under load. hoping to get this sorted out under warranty, or by the LBS I bought from.

nickdavies

My SID’s are the same – started off fine now they have become very odd.
    Need to pull them apart but basically they started off as you describe, working for a month or so but the lockout got softer over a couple of rides and now basically every mode is the same, open. Sometimes they kick back into working if I haven’t ridden them for a while but it’s a bit random.

Gonna change the damper oil and inspect the cartridge for damage over christmas but it’ll be back to SRAM if I can’t sort it. 2014 RCT3’s.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘RCT3 damper—- how firm is your 'lock'?’ is closed to new replies.