Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • RCT3 Damper
  • donal
    Free Member

I have a fairly good grasp of how the MOCO RLT damper worked and could set it up pretty well. I am a little lost on how the new RCT3 damper works, in particular how the low speed compression adjuster (silver) works in relation to the three stage compression adjuster (blue).

Can anyone give me a quick guide as to how the two work together? I am sure I can work out a nice setting by just playing around. However, it would be helpful to understand what exactly each dial is doing, and how the adjustments interact with one another.

donal
    Free Member

Just a quick bump for the lunchtime crowd. Any help greatly appreciated.

Konastoner
    Free Member

Have a look here, there’s some good info on how it works : – RCT3 Info

donal
    Free Member

Thanks for linking. So, am I correct in thinking that it essentially acts like some sort of pre-set floodgate?

LoCo
    Free Member

Basically 3 settings open, threshold (which is stiff but becomes active when you hit medium to large bumps) and lockout which is self explanitory.

The silver low speed dial has an affect on the open setting and reduces brake dive, and other low speed movement such as when going round berms etc.

As an expample on a lap of Cwmcarn I’ll use threshold on the smoohter climb and jumpy pumpy bits and open for the rest of it as it’ll absorb the rougher parts of the trail better.

donal
    Free Member

That is great. I think I get the gist of it now. Thanks for the help Konastoner and LoCo.

roverpig

I just bought the 29er Dual Air RCT3 forks and was under the impression that the compression dial affected all three “modes”. Mind you, I’m not sure how.

As I understand it the blue lever gives three positions: open and two preset floodgate levels. In the trail and locked positions you’ve got a firm platform to resist pedal, brake and cornering forces, but it will open if it gets a fast hit. The difference is that it takes a bigger hit to open it in locked than it does in trail (the two floodgate settings).

Once it does open though I think (although I’m not sure about this) the compression is still affected by the (silver) compression setting.

donal
    Free Member

Thanks roverpig. That seems to make sense.

LoCo
    Free Member

The low speed silver dial does have an affect in Threshold setting, but the threshold is really a low/mid speed circuit anyway so there is some crossover there, the lockout is a lockout but has a blow off to stop the unit getting damaged if you forget to turn it off so again a crossover but not really a ‘function’
    New stuff for 2014 maybe adjusted in function, just having a look a the specs. (and retro compatability 😉 ) atm.

donal
    Free Member

Thanks Loco. While you are here Loco, I remember you saying somewhere that you can put 8ml of oil in the lowers of the Revs instead of the 5ml which it states in the manual. Can you do the same for the Sid RCT3?

LoCo
    Free Member

Not very much room in the Sid lowers so stick to 5ml of 15wt in each leg as stated by Rockshox, I’d keep up with the lower services too as it doesn’t take much dirt for that amountof oil to become ‘dirty’

donal
    Free Member

Great. Thats for the advice Loco. New forks received yesterday so will be giving the seals, lowers and foam rings a little love before they go on the bike.

kenkyujo
    Free Member

Any users of the RCT3’s care to comment.

I’ve just got a set of RCT3’s and the rebound adjustment appears to have no effect between max (hare) and min (tortoise) settings in either the ‘open’ or ‘threshold’ settings, i.e. the rebound is very quick and no damping is present.

It’s a dual air and running both chambers at approx the same pressure, filling +ve first then -ve.

Also the low speed compression setting appears to have little effect.

I’ve tried purging all the air out to test the compression and damping circuits, but it behaves the same way.

Is the fork goosed? Is it a known problem or have I set the fork incorrectly somehow?

LoCo
    Free Member

Best to get them back to the supplier to send to Fishers for a warranty inspection.

kenkyujo
    Free Member

Thanks, I’m in the process of doing that.

Just wanted to know if this is a common problem really?

bigjim

Sounds like an oil level problem, my 2013 RCT3’s are now playing up, damping is very noisy and only having an effect at extreme high settings, I think the oil must be leaking though not seen any coming out the lowers. Will have to do a service on them methinks.

richmtb

I remember you saying somewhere that you can put 8ml of oil in the lowers of the Revs instead of the 5ml which it states in the manual.

What’s the benefit of the different oil volumes?

kenkyujo
    Free Member

Is there a critical oil level inside the damper?

At the max rebound damping, you can just about hear it trying to suck some fluid though but it makes little if any real difference.

If the internal oil level has dropped I guess this suggests an oil leak in the cartridge.

roverpig

kenkujo: Any users of the RCT3’s care to comment.

I’ve just got a set of RCT3’s and the rebound adjustment appears to have no effect between max (hare) and min (tortoise) settings in either the ‘open’ or ‘threshold’ settings, i.e. the rebound is very quick and no damping is present.

It’s a dual air and running both chambers at approx the same pressure, filling +ve first then -ve.

Also the low speed compression setting appears to have little effect.

I’ve tried purging all the air out to test the compression and damping circuits, but it behaves the same way.

Is the fork goosed? Is it a known problem or have I set the fork incorrectly somehow?

Not sure if it’s a problem, but playing with my new Dual Air RCT3 Revs (29er) yesterday I did think that the effect of the damper and LSC was subtle. Not exactly non-existent. If I turn the rebound damper fully on it does seem to return a bit slower and I can hear a sort of whooshing noise, suggesting oil being forced through a small hole. Turning the rebound damping down makes the noise decrease then disappear and I guess I can feel a difference in the rebound speed. But it’s not huge.

Of course, if the difference were huge it would probably mean that the options at either end were basically unusable. With it being more subtle it could just mean that I have 13 clicks of useable options. Or they could be broken 🙂 I’m going to reserve judgement until I’ve had them out on the trails for a few rides.

LoCo
    Free Member

slow rebound is really slow, end of stroke rebound is controlled by the knob and beginnning of stroke rebound (from full compression) is factory set. (dual air run at 110psi in pos chamber)

Think there are some issues with the damping system, something jammed or adjuster screw in rebound unit damaged, do fiddle too much before they go back on warranty as could cause further damage
    😉
    Noise of full slow and near is just the oil passing through ports/shim stacks.

The LSC is fairly subtle just squashing the fork but quite noticeable on the trail a click or 2 either way makes them feel harsh or too wallowy, saying that I’m a bit sensitive to settings (luckily)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘RCT3 Damper’ is closed to new replies.