Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rca extension cables
  • shorn
    Free Member

The collective wisdom of Singletrack can hopefully help me out.
    I have bought 5m rca extension cables for my very old Kenwood p26 turntable amd plugged them into my equally old kenwood a45 amp. I now get a continuous buzz when the turntable is playing and if I turn the volume up I get a sound which is a bit like feedback.
    I have tested the extension cables with another input and they work fine.
    There is no earth on the turntable.
    I have kept the ac leads and rca seperate.
    When the extension cables are plugged in the phono input on the amp without being connected to the turntable they buzz/hum.

Can anyone help?

winston_dog
    Free Member

There is no earth on the turntable.

I’m no expert but I think earthing might help.

Is there no where you can rig a earth to part of the turntable?

bokonon
    Free Member

The sound like feedback is feedback – it’s the disc and the needle vibrating in sympathy with the speaker output and feeding back – this is why record players are often placed on heavy non-vibrating surfaces (I used to carry round 2 paving slabs to solve the issue at free parties)

Are they plugged into a proper phono input? there is a filtering and pre-amp process needed for vinyl.

I think you probably do need an earth, is there a little screw in doodad on the back of the turntable which will take a spade connector?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    shorn
    Free Member

is there a little screw in doodad on the back of the turntable which will take a spade connector?

No there isn’t an earth connection on the turntable and there isn’t one even in the plug.

Are they plugged into a proper phono input?

Yes.

There is a screw above the phono input on the amp which I think is something to do with earthing??

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

What type of input did you test the leads with?

Phono level is significantly lower than say a CD player or MP3 player so will always be subsceptible to a higher degree of noise.

shorn
    Free Member

What type of input did you test the leads with?

MP3 player – stereo jack rca – rca extension

dvatcmark
    Free Member

dvatcmark
    Free Member

An earth between the amp case and turntable case will fix this. With no earth terminal on the turntable the usual fix is to loosen one of the case screws and then tighten it back up with the wire trapped.

Any old piece of wire will do the job

Cougar

Earth the player to the amp.

Does it do it with shorter leads?

You’re connected to a phono stage rather than some form of Aux / line in, yes?

shorn
    Free Member

You’re connected to a phono stage rather than some form of Aux / line in, yes?

Yes

Does it do it with shorter leads?

No

Earth the player to the amp.

I’ll have a hunt round for some wire.

Cougar

Oh,

How are you routing the cables? Are they running parallel to mains power cables? If so, don’t do that.

shorn
    Free Member

Are they running parallel to mains power cables?

No, I’ve kept them separate.

I ran a ground cable between the TT and the amp and it didn’t make any difference. However I noticed there is no earth wire from the amp to the plug. as an experiment I ran a wire from the amp to the earth in the plug and it reduced the hum but still leaves a buzz.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rca extension cables’ is closed to new replies.