Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • RC Helicopters (non religious content!)
  • rogerthecat
    Free Member

Anyone have/had a small RC helicopter that flies reasonably but will not require taking Mrs Cat to cash converters again?

Eldest son wants to fly them for Her Maj as a job and thought this would be a fun present.

😀

Milkie
    Free Member

I have a Micro Heli (Walkera 4#3). I would not recommend it for a beginner!

How old is eldest son?
    Coaxial – Easy to fly, you don’t have to worry about keeping it balanced.
    4ch+ (not coaxial) – think of it like trying to balance a broomstick in the palm of your hand, while rubbing your tummy. It’s like that, but harder. 😉

rogerthecat
    Free Member

15 with added cockiness and the standard addition of an infinite knowledge of everything.

The Coaxial sounds like some of the ‘toy’ ones we have both had a go at flying – contra rotating blades?

Like the sound of non-coaxial is there a commensurate cost implication? And, is there a beginner’s machine in this category.

mogrim

I have a Micro Heli (Walkera 4#3). I would not recommend it for a beginner!

I’ve got one of these, currently dead due to lack of intact rotor blades. Really must get round to getting some more soon!

If it’s just a toy, go for the micro dogfight ones, they’re much more fun and a lot less fragile.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

If you’re talking about learning to fly a real heli, you would be best going for one with full collective pitch (rather than fixed pitch) rotors. That way it’ll be capable of fast forward flight and flying inverted etc. Anything smaller than 450 size will be quite tricky to learn on i think, in fact, best start of with a simulator for these ones. They are difficult.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Something like this might be a good starting point, but i’d check on some RC-world type forum or something because its ages since i had one of these (had a 2nd hand Thunder Tiger Raptor V2), but yes they do get quite a bit more expensive
    http://www.f1hobbies.com/shop.php?id=2129&level=

gt900uk
    Free Member

Have a look at Blade MSR for fixed pitch cheap heli that is easy to fly.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

It sounds like you might want to fly it from the safety of a concrete bunker or at least wear some kind of armour.

airbus387
    Free Member

Hi i had a Trex 600 glow powered helicopter now i will tell you it took me many hours and a fair bit of cash to learn to fly it.You can put away about £60 to £100 for a normal crash while learning or if its avery bad crash your somtimes cheaper to buy a new kit.Learning to fly a helicopter like the trex is like patting your head rubbing your stomach and tieing your shoes all at the same time.So i would recomend a coaxial helicopter like the blade to start with.have look at midland model helicopters web site or get a rc helicopter mag.but if your going the full hogg and going to fly collective pitch.PLEASE become a member of a rc flying club with members who fly helicopters and becareful these are not toys and can bite you very quick.I know full size helicopter pilots who cant fly rc helicopters

Milkie
    Free Member

After learning on my 4ch micro heli I bought an CopterX heli (450 size). It is soon much easier to fly, I would recommend a 450 Trex copy like the CopterX.

Your besdt option is to buy an RTF (ready to fly) heli and practice on a flight sim with the transmitter and sin cable. Remember a crash on the sim is going to cost you money in real flight! I can fly inverted and do some tricks… on the sim! Real life I binned it and bought a whole kit as it was cheaper than buying the parts I needed. You will need blades, they will be ruined after trying to lift off the first time. Also you will need to setup the heli for it to fly, loads of forums and videos, you don’t need to join as club, but it will help.. maybe join one without your sun knowing, so he can be in wee of your skillz?

As above.. be careful, these things can kill or seriously wound someone. There is no way I would let anyone use my heli, unless I have seen them fly.

Best piece of advice is to hook up the tranny to a PC sim and when you can fly without any crashes, and do manouvers, then you can try the real thing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘RC Helicopters (non religious content!)’ is closed to new replies.