Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • R/C Electric Cars; want to build a kit – not buy RTR!!!
  • househusband
    Free Member

Stopped off at Marionville Models in Edinburgh on the way back from work this afternoon and had a good chat with the chap there…

Family coming over from Oz in a week or so and I’d like to build a car with my nephew (as an aside he is wheelchair bound) as something to do and spend some time with him. It seems that cars these days are pretty much RTR apart from the odd Tamiya that seems overpriced and old-tech.

Can anyone point me in the direction of, or recommend, somewhere that sells cars and all the caboodle in kit form? Looking at electric, unless I can be persuaded otherwise!

Ta.

amplebrew

I’d have a look at Schumacher,Team Losi and Associated for manufacturers.

Not too sure on who the best suppliers are though.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Get MCs old nitro truck and revive that!

Or alternatively try some of these

http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/c/29/?cs={13:[39],15:[47]}

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Stupid broken link, you can search for unassembled kits.

totalshell

search modelsport at otley they have the best website and know all about it. rtr is good cos its done and LOTS cheaper than doing your own plus the electrics etc.
    i’d suggest a rock crawler for your nephew, like trials but in RC the thing wont stop miles away and the cells last for yonks (30 mins)you can do it in or outdoors.. good idea i built one when released from hossy

GW
    Free Member

Andy, did you know Raceland has an outdoor RC car racing track? (don’t know what the score is regards using it/racing)

john_drummer
    Free Member

I think Modelsport have closed down, but I could be wrong; drove past today & the high street shop seemed to be kind of empty, but I could be mistaken, as I was concentrating on driving…

phlemo

Marionville themselves do kit stuff. How much do you want to spend as most kit stuff is race / competition oriented and therefore more expensive than RTR.

Otherwise in Edinburgh you only really have Wonderland but I think they do even fewer kits.

db

I would go Mardave!
    http://mardaveonline.co.uk/index.htm

Good price (but remember transmitter, batteries and charger etc

worth a look

roverman
    Free Member

Love building tamiya cars, they always go together well and have good spares.
    Some of the off road cars have three speed gearboxes, leaf spring just like the real thing.
    Which one you get is up to you and what type of driving you fancy.
    Myself I fancy the new rereleased sandsorcher or roughrider, these were great the first time out, and
    They have metal parts, very collectable, buy two, build one and enjoy, keep the other as a collectable

Cougar

Can’t help with your query but I’m posting to applaud your choice. I bought a Tamiya car years ago, and had exponentially more fun building the thing than I ever subsequently did driving it.

househusband
    Free Member

Thanks all. Forgot to mention that I’m after an off-road car.

db; will give Mardave a call in the morning as there’s scant info on the website about the one off-road car they do.

Some of the Ansmann kits sound affordable and good quality…

dawson

Mardave takes me back – my Mardave Meteor was my first car when I started racing (before moving on to Schumacher Cat’s)

It used to be a shocker for swapping ends on indoor multi surface tracks because of the weight distribution – so me and my dad got a piece of ally, made a new chassis and rotated the gearbox and motor assembly through 180 degrees and voila! Mid mounted motor!

jimc101
    Free Member

With Cougar here, built 2 Tamiya Cars 5 years ago, really enjoyed the build part, never really got the driving part. have a feeling if there was a track or club near you, this would really help with the driving

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘R/C Electric Cars; want to build a kit – not buy RTR!!!’ is closed to new replies.