Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • RC cars – decent quality but cheapish?
  • aracer
    Free Member

I know about planes and helis, so not totally ignorant, but not a lot about cars. 6yo son would like a monster truck style car which can go places off-road. Is there anything decent I can get on a budget of £40? Proper hobby ones appear to start at ~£60, but I was wondering if there were any bargains of reasonable quality, or is anything cheaper just going to be a toy.

I should clarify that I’m looking at complete RTR price for that – I have an aircraft transmitter and an rx to match I could put in, but it’s not the ideal thing to use with a car, and I’d rather my son wasn’t throwing around a £100 tx!

Thanks for any help.

cyclistm
    Free Member

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/carrera/rc-car-manufacturers/1220

I got the carrera red bull nx1, surprising speed for the price. Gets a bit stuck off road, but has so far proved very strong against some pretty hefty crashes. I enjoy it as much as my 5 year old.

ruminant
    Free Member

May not be quite what your looking for, but for the money there great fun

Losi micro t

Bought for my lad, quick as a quick thing, small enough to wiz round the house and outside. Doesn’t do long grass which is why it may not be the thing your after but all the same Vid

aracer
    Free Member

May not be quite what your looking for

No – I think I’m after big. Though thanks for the help anyway.

demonracer

I’d go for a maiso rock crawler extreme at that price point (£45.99 on amazon and play)

http://rcmania.com/maisto-rock-crawler-extreme/

The guy doing the review owns a lot of high end hobby grade Rc cars and seems to like it!

davetrave
    Free Member

If you look in the right place the Revellutions cars will fit the bill for that price, got one for my 6 yo for Christmas as I’m not overly happy with him trashing my decent car (that’s my job – Vaterra Kemora…). Amazon were knocking one of the models out for about £40 a month or so ago, reduced from £80. Decent spec as well – brushless motor, 2.4GHz, pistol grip controller (that can be changed for left or right hand), LiPo hard case battery, splash- and dust-proof. Pretty quick too.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Bought a couple of these nitrotek lizard trucks for my nephews for Christmas – for the price they seem very well made and testing reveals them to be super quick 🙂

happyrider
    Free Member

Nitrotek customer service has been horrific for me, be warned…

clubber
    Free Member

I just got my old Cougar 2000 going for my son (5.5yrs). Geared it as low as possible and put a 27t motor in but it’s still rather fast. We broke a wheel (though it was already cracked) – luckily I have a spare.

I am wondering if something like a lunchbox would be better – big and bouncy. Or my old Bosscat which has spring back front suspension…

aracer
    Free Member

If you look in the right place the Revellutions cars will fit the bill for that price

Is one of these likely to be any good then? It does at least have proportional steering, which is a step up on most of the toys.

What’s a lunchbox?

clubber
    Free Member

You don’t know the Luncbox?! 🙂

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/58347lunchbox/

clubber
    Free Member

Second hand, maybe to hit the price.

veedubba

Sorry for the hijack, but how much do you want for the Losi Mos?

mos

Dubba, mail sent

rossi46
    Free Member

This looks good for the money?

Anyone tried one? Wouldnt mind one myself 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

That looks amazing for the money…

aracer
    Free Member

You don’t know the Luncbox?!

I said I wasn’t into cars!

clubber
    Free Member

Acrowot?

Chris Foss?

🙂

(Are they still going?)

davetrave
    Free Member

Is one of these likely to be any good then? It does at least have proportional steering, which is a step up on most of the toys.

Yeah, I think you should be OK for what you want it for. The Dust Rider we got for Junior is a bit bigger at 1:14 scale, selling for £70 now on Amazon though. Simplest thing to do is a Google search of reviews for the one you’re looking at – reviews from users who aren’t necessarily RC geeks should give you a good idea of real world, small-child-friendly performance/reliability.

tuffty
    Free Member

Buy something from Modelsport as they can help you out with spares when you bust it, and you will bust it. Amazon won’t have a clue.

davetrave
    Free Member

That is of course the other alternative. I did consider something from MSUK but a basic car to meet the same specs as the Revellutions one was going to be a damn sight more than £40 and then the hop ups to make it more fun for me to drive, sorry repair the damage he did, would bump up the price even more. Only time and the destructive capabilities of my son will tell whether I made the right choice or not in terms of value for money…

aracer
    Free Member

Well I’m afraid I ignored all your advice in the end and went with one of these – they seem to get good reviews:
    http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/171047/

(well apart from the advice about Nitrotek customer service – was deciding between that and the Lizard recommended above, but that might have swung it).

mogrim

Well I’m afraid I ignored all your advice in the end and went with one of these

The red one I hope – red ones go faster!

Debating how much trouble I’d be in with the wife if I bought a Tamiya Lancia:

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘RC cars – decent quality but cheapish?’ is closed to new replies.