Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • RC car knowable types please
  • wool

Ok so got a 2950 kv motor bushless running on 2s it cogs at the start if I put a 2000 KV in will it help with crawling speed ? I am not bothered about the top speed tbh.
    Its in a ultra 4 type buggy if that makes any odds ??

wiggles
    Free Member

It will spin slower so possibly.
    But really cogging is just part of the deal with sensorless brushless set ups brushes or sensored is the way to go for slow speed stuff.

Nico
    Free Member

Is that even a word (knowable). Just no. Knowledgeable. IANK.

andyl
    Free Member

change the gearing?

I used to race 1/10th off road at national level when I was a kid before all this brushless and lipo stuff came in. I suspect we had to do a lot more fine tuning of gearing and the driving style was certainly very different from what I have seen of the racing these days.

wiggles
    Free Member

Gearing can help also ESC settings. But if you want it to “crawl” sensored set up aren’t ideal

wool

Apologies to the grammar police as always……So I need to go back to brushed motors or use a sensored esc and motor? As its got the small pinon at moment and will not go down any further.

wiggles
    Free Member

If you want it to be good a low speed crawling, sacrificing top end yes that’s the easiest route.

But if you want high and low speed capabilities a sensored brushless set up would be better as it has sensors in the motor that know what point in the cycle it is and smooth it out to avoid cogging but they aren’t cheap.

martymac

If you cant go lower on the pinion, it may be possible to add a reduction gearbox.
    Id go for a brushed motor, the more turns it has the lower it revs, the lower it revs, the longer The brushes will last.

doomanic

Really? there’s a good chance we’ve met then.

andyl
    Free Member

Really? there’s a good chance we’ve met then.

What region where you in? And what cars?

I was in the north west, racing from about 1990 to 1997/8. Still have my cars and a mums loft is full of tyres and spares. Not sure what to do wit them really, should have sold them all hen they were worth something.

Have a cat 2000ec, Losi XXCR and RC10 B2 in the cupboard in my office. All powered by brushed motors and SC-RC nicads which will all be well and truely dead now!

doomanic

A bit earlier than me then. I had a shop called DCRacing and supported the National Series and West Mids Regionals for about 6 years in the early 2000’s.

I had a XXcr when I first started racing, then moved to AE when the XXX turned out to be an ill-handling bag of dirty pants.

andyl
    Free Member

yeah that was when I was at Uni.

Did you ever go up to Southport? I was the club champion around ’97.

Used to race with Neil Cragg who you will probably know? Well I say used to race with him, more like fought it out for the positions behind him. He was quick from day 1!

Started on a ProCat back in 1990 when it came out, finished with a Cat2000 EC and Losi XX-CR. Was sponsored by the corally/orion/novak importer.

I did have an RC10 Team, then switched to the B2 which was a mistake as the XX turned out to be a much better car. although I have to say I found the XX-CR a bit boring to drive compared to the RC10 but ultimately it was a lot better as a race car.

I did notice that the later versions of the RC10 were a lot better and has Losi now gone bust? Their 4wd was very popular but very expensive when it came out.

doomanic

Yeah, I went to Southport every year. Got bogged down every year too…

I know Craggy, but not well. He’s still fast. Some things never change.

The B3 was a massive improvement over the B2. It B4 now which is mid-motor I think.

The XX4 was a beast, the XXX4 that followed was a dog; fragile and nowhere near as agile. Losi actually re-released the XX4 it was so bad. As far as I know, Losi are still going.

demonracer

What car and gearing are you running?

wool

FTX Outlaw brushless all stock with a 17t pinon

wiggles
    Free Member

Just go full throttle all the time and it will be fine 😉

andyl
    Free Member

can you not just buy other pinions for a couple of £? We just used to buy any size we wanted provided it was the right pitch (48 or 64dp)

or fit a larger spur gear?

spennyy
    Free Member

I also used to race in the NW (just recently sold up again) my folks ran the Bolton club. If it’s a un sensored setup in the car then there’s no getting away from the cogging unless you can fit a sensor wire which may require a new motor and esc

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘RC car knowable types please’ is closed to new replies.