Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Razor pits and similar devices – do they actually work?
  • CaptainSlow

It’s marginal I think is how I’d describe the difference a razor pit makes. There will be folk along soon who swear by them but for a typical Mach 3 or whatever I think they’re a bit snake oil as the lube strips etc wear.

Ymmv

IHN

The Razor Pit is the absolute, outstanding, amazing shizzle. Is that recomendation enough?

I’ve had one for a couple of years, and use it before every shave (with Gilette Mach 3 blades). Using it takes 10 seconds, max – a little smear of shaving gel on the ‘pad’, rub the blade against it a few times, rinse, done. A blade now lasts, well, I can’t really remember the last time I changed it, so ages. In fact, they seem to get better the older they are. It’ll knacker any lube strip on the blade, but that doesn’t matter.

Someone will doubtless come along and tell you to get a blade of the style used by Sweeney Todd that’s been hand-forged by a Japanases sword-maker, and use it with some shaving cream that’s made from the pituatory gland of the narwhal, applied with a brush made of dodo feathers…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

No no no. Traditional stuff is what you need. Vintage disposable razor from the 1930s, and good old fashioned proper traditional old recipe proper good traditional proper proper PROOOOOPPPPEEEERRRR shaving soap. It’s the proper stuff. Proper proper.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I wondered if it wasn’t so much dead skin cells blunting the blade but that the blade was so highly sharpened that being scraped along stubbly flesh would be enough to dull it. I wonder if the shaving saver was in fact a mild form of resharpening block.

spchantler
    Free Member

real men have beard. beard manly.

IHN

I wondered if it wasn’t so much dead skin cells blunting the blade but that the blade was so highly sharpened that being scraped along stubbly flesh would be enough to dull it. I wonder if the shaving saver was in fact a mild form of resharpening block.

It’s probably a bit of both, and it probably is. Whatever it is, it works.

GrahamS

I wonder if the shaving saver was in fact a mild form of resharpening block.

I thought that but reading the amazon reviews it basically just seems to clean the blade.

Something I’ve always done is rub the razor backwards down my leg a few times to clean it*, so I suspect it is a similar thing to that.

(* Yes I realise this is probably a weird habit)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

(* Yes I realise this is probably a weird habit)

I use my forearm unless I’m in the shower.

I’m in the iron fillings for stubble category rather than facial bum-fluff though, multiblade razors lasted maybe 3 shaves before being dull enough no to be effective and saftey blades are single use (but still work out half the price).

Just been given an antique safety razor for my birthday, not as close as my merkur progress on it’s close setting, but possibly even gentler than the ‘5’ setting.

IA

rub the razor backwards down my leg

A bit of old denim’s supposed to be rough enough to sharpen/clean a razor…not actually tried it though.

Earl_Grey

Isn’t this just the same as stropping a cutthroat style razor?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

real men have beard. beard manly.

not always
    try this, but take your hat off first

monkey_boy
    Free Member

it’s all bolox… dont waste your money and do this (As above)…

IT WORKS

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Razor pits and similar devices – do they actually work?’ is closed to new replies.