Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Raw Plug Question!!
  • alexxx
    Free Member

sorry guys very off topic,

Im putting my projector up at home tonight and the only place for it is the ceiling, I cant get access to the floor above it and it feels pretty plastery! are there any magic raw plugs about that would stop a projector falling down and killing me in the night?

with the mount i was going to put it onto some mdf to spread the load with about 8 skrews / plugs into the roof
    its only a home hd projector so doesnt weigh a ton but at the sametime its certainly enough not to want it clouting me! 😀

pedalhead
    Free Member

I'd definitely try & put it into a joist if I were you! Rawlplug btw 😉

soobalias
    Free Member

so this isnt about a paint free charge fixie

find a joist, or could buy plasterboard fixings…….

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yup, screw into a joist, projectors ain't light, no?

GrahamS

Buy a stud finder type thing. Find the joists. Stuck it in them or at least fix a baten between two joists and attach to that.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Lol @ "Raw Plug"

back OT, can you borrow something that will tell you where the ceiling joists are? Do you know the centres? Is it hollow behind the plasterboard? If so, you may well be able to find where the board's been screwed to the joists.

Failing all that, there are fixings that will spread behind the pb as you screw something in…as luck will have it though, you'll probably screw one or two of them into a joist.

+1 for using mdf btw. Good thinking on that.

Grimy
    Free Member

Is your ceiling made from plaster board or is it more old school laths and plater. If youve got laths then as long as you get a good few screws into the wood then you should be just fine. If its plaster bloard, then you realy need some kind of big expanding plug to spread the weight.

uplink
    Free Member

I'd also want to get as many fixings into a joist as possible & use something like these for the rest

alexxx
    Free Member

thanks guys as you can tell "raw plug" is as far as my over heard knowledge 😀 haha and I cant spell at the best of times so Im patting myself on the back that you half know what I mean 😀

I dont know how to describe the ceiling really its an old terrace house cottage and the ceiling sounds hollow everywhere but not sure if thats just because it doesnt butt up against the joists

ill take a venture to b and q and see if they come up trumps – do you think those self drill jobbies are the best option if I have to make an educated **** up?

pedalhead
    Free Member

The self-fixing plugs are good, but personally I wouldn't hang a projector from the ceiling with them.

alexxx
    Free Member

how about a fat load of no more nails :D:D I kid I kid 😀

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

and the ceiling sounds hollow everywhere but not sure if thats just because it doesnt butt up against the joists

if it doesn't then I'd forget any kind of plaster fixing as it would just pull the plaster down!

theotherjonv

Get a joist and cable/pipe detector. You could then mount the projector onto a piece of MDF and mount that properly to the joist. If you have to go into the plasterboard / plaster above and you can't gain access, are you sure there are no pipes / cables in the ceiling void!

pedalhead
    Free Member

It should be really easy to find the joists…just drill small pilot holes if you don't want to get one of those sensor things. If the pj doesn't have horizontal lens adjustment then you could just run a piece of timber in between joists if necessary & mount it to that.

alexxx
    Free Member

if I do find a joist how many screws would you recommend going into it? would 4 suffice? about an inch long?
    thanks for all the info guys

pedalhead
    Free Member

As many as the pj mount will allow I'd say. Three or four would do the job though…but use longer screws, 2" or 3". Can you provide an image of the mount?

alexxx
    Free Member

the plastic gymbal that comes off the projector will only allow 2 skrews but that should be enough to hold its weight, so really as many as i can on the mdf board ill be getting most likely will be 1ft x 1ft in size 🙂

tragically1969
    Free Member

I dont know how to describe the ceiling really its an old terrace house cottage and the ceiling sounds hollow everywhere but not sure if thats just because it doesnt butt up against the joists

Sounds like lath and plaster to me, in which case, good luck !!

iDave
    Free Member

IKEA pencils = rawl plugs

alexxx
    Free Member

how would that work?

stumpyjon

and

If they're strong enough to hold radiators on plasterboard walls they should be fine for a projector.

Travis

you'd want something with a bigger spread than that. Radiators hang vertically and maybe also stood on the floor, whereas this projector is going to hang horizontally with gravity sucking at it.
    If it's hollow above the plasterboard, I would consider finding the joists, adding some MDF to it, and then possibly attaching it to that.
    What is the weight of the Projector? Rawlplug should be able to provide you with technical data, and also advise which is the best product to use for the job.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If they're strong enough to hold radiators on plasterboard walls they should be fine for a projector.

I wouldn't rely on plasterboard to hold a radiator either, I'd look for the studding – but radiators rarely manage to fall on people's heads from the ceiling…

cynic-al
    Free Member

No way would I trust a radiator on plasterboard alone.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Surely the sideways pull of a rad (which is also fixed to a pipe below) will be way less than something hanging overhead.

stumpyjon

Well every radiator in my house is attached to the plasterboard with those and I've had no trouble. When you insert them they fan out and probably cover a circle with a diameter of 4cm, the bigger ones fan out to more like 7 or 8 cm. Believe me if you put them in correctly they will hold a lot of weight as will the plasterboard.

markd
    Free Member

You need to make sure you will get the correct image size where you want to site it.

Test then get it fixed up. I have done a fair few jobs like this and could help if you like. (bout 50)

Drop me an email if you like. manager@thebikechain.co.uk

project
    Free Member

DONT FORGET THERE MAY BE WATER, CENTRAL HEATING, GAS AND ELECTRIC CABLES IN THE CEILING VOID.

Seen a lot of accidents after people just drilled and screwed,the worst was when one screwed through the gas pipe,in the bedroom and then went to sleep, and almost didnt wake up agin in one piece.

petrieboy

two screws holding a projector onto a joist. Been there 2 years and it's rock solid.

( please excuse 70's artex)

pegasus
    Free Member

glue it up…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Raw Plug Question!!’ is closed to new replies.