Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Raven @ Brechfa
  • greasystain
    Free Member

Why is it black?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

ha ha ha. you didn't think much to it then?
    I thought it was a hard red when I did it. its was just that descent through the woods that could be called black for me.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It's blacker than llandegla's black by miles. Mainly because it quite long but really those berms must be the largest in Wales the biggest freaked me out. The mud descent is tricky IMO I fell three times. The tight section after the big climb I couldn't do much of and I pushed some of that climb too. This never happens to me on red trails so I'm happy with the black grade. Thought it was quite fun actually even in the rain and on my own (stupid i know but most of my riding is solo due to a lack of friends)

singlespeedstu

greasystain – Member

Why is it black?

You're not alone with those thoughts.

chakaping
    Free Member

It's a bit more challenging than the black at Thetford as well.

Length and jumpy bits would be my guess, to answer the rather cryptic OP question.

PJ266
    Free Member

No easier technically than the black at Glentress I reckon, as far as XC trails go I'd say it deserves a black rating. Its not a DH course so it doesnt have DH course ratings.

I really enjoyed it though! But I tend to enjoy any time on my bike.

njee20
    Free Member

Black because of it's length? It takes about 90 minutes!

I enjoyed it, thought the bermy bit was pretty mental, but personally probably preferred the much faster flowing stuff on the blue route!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Cwmcarn DH track excluded its the most technical track in Wales IMO.
    It is harder than the Gorlech Red route, so maybe that was justifacation enough to make it a black course.

Technical features + long/hard climbs make it a tough loop for most people.

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah it's always going to be a comparative assessment at trail centres, as above Thetford black is easier than green at many trail centres!

There is one bit of the Raven on the climb which was 30%, that can't be fun on many of the DH bikes people seemed to be lugging round!

DrP

When I did the big berms for the first time, I felt like my head was being messed with! Not sure which way was up, time ran backwards, and water flowed up-stream…!
    Not that they were difficult – just filled so much of my view that I had little in the form of reference/perspective points!

DrP

chakaping
    Free Member

Black because of it's length? It takes about 90 minutes!

Stop showing off.

Took me double that, but I did stop for lunch and to repeat the tabletops bit a lot.

I know it wasn't a long route in terms of distance, but it felt like it was going on and on.

singlespeedstu

I wouldn't say that he's trying to "show off".
    It took me a shade less than that to get round and i ain't allthat on the fitness front.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Took me around 2.5 hours but I had done the excellent blue twice in the morning and I am deffo a leisure rider! I agree about the berms I did the first 2 great then rolled into the 3rd and thought gravity had changed direction for one moment as the ground fell away. Surprised I stayed upright. Amazing.

chakaping
    Free Member

I was only teasing him.

I know he wasn't bragging.

solamanda
    Free Member

Cwmcarn DH track excluded its the most technical track in Wales IMO.

I just ruined my laptop with the drink that was in my mouth. L O L

PJ266
    Free Member

Thinking back those berms are quite mental 😀 when I was riding I didnt really take notice. Will have to go back now.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I just ruined my laptop with the drink that was in my mouth. L O L

I meant trail as in the maymarked man-made variety. There are more technical natural trails outside of the trail centres.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Is it not "comparative" grading? Black at Brechfa is Black in comparison to everything else there?

Equally, is it like ski piste grading? Black in Italy is a nice easy Red in France…

Oh, and those berms! Awoooga, awooga, awoooooooga!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Did the red and the black on Saturday. Black is definitely steeper up and down than the red, although not a massive amount more technical. There's a couple of proper drops (not massive, but you can't roll them) and the jumps are much more comitting than the red. The mud DH requires a bit more commitment than the rest of the route too. Rather enjoyed it actually in a slippy slidy way.

In conclusion, it might not be "black", but it's darker than the red…

greasystain
    Free Member

Thanks for the imput guys. The original question was not a comment on the trail – just an innocent question. I'm of to Brechfa this Sunday and I really want to try the Raven.

CAN'T WAIT FOR THEM BERMS NOW THOUGH!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Raven @ Brechfa’ is closed to new replies.