Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Rattling sound from front wheel
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Think this has been going on for a while now but its got worse today after probably a couple of slightly sideways landings (big gusts of wind when you're mid air aren't very fun)! I've checked the hub bearings and there's no play at all, so I'm thinking it's either the spokes (too loose maybe?) or something inside the rim.. The rear wheel also does it but not as severe.

Here's a vid, you can hear it clicking when it spins/stops then when the front end goes down the rattle – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-gnvqe4quI

Over bumpy stuff it's really rattly, not exactly confidence inspiring. It's a Mavic 721 on a Hope Pro 2 20mm, not sure about the spokes.

Quite sure its not the forks as it still clicks when the wheel is lifted off the ground and spun.

zaskar
    Free Member

Take the wheel off and bang/spin that?

Then do the same on the forks.

Or go to LBS…

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i got that with my 721 (or 521) rim! i think there's some loose burrs in there. it's not the hub as i regreased that and put in new bearings. i've just left it…

_tom_
    Free Member

hmm ok.. would rather not take to LBS as I dont even know where it is and dont want to spend more money than I have to!

MrKmkII
    Free Member

if it is a burr then take off the tyre and rim strip and see if you can't shake it out. doing this should also allow you to see where the sound comes from, should it not be something loose in the rim…

hora
    Free Member

I once built a bike up and took it for a ride in Hebden. Wondered what that noise was….I'd refitted the brakes but left a few turns of slack in the bolts to enable me to set up properly at the end..

imp999
    Free Member

I have had sealant dry up into a ball and roll about in my tubeless tyres but it wasn't a rattle really.
    And I have had a swarf off the rim tinkling in my road bike's rim for years.

Pierre

I can't tell much from the video, but you can often get little bits of swarf rattling round inside the rim. They tend to be left around the edges of the nipple drillings and may be attached when the rim leaves the factory but rattle loose. The usual way to get them out is to take the tyre, inner tube and rim tape off and shake the rim around. You'll probably find small curled bits of loose metal fall out. Then the rim shouldn't rattle.

HTH.

: P

_tom_
    Free Member

Alright I took the wheel off and its definitely in the rim somewhere but I can't see anything in there 😕 Pinpointed where its coming from (side of the wheel directly opposite valve hole) but theres nothing loose inside there from what I can see. Gave it a good shake and nothing fell out. For some reason you can't hear it when the tyres/tubes are off but as soon as they go back on you can. Maybe they're just amplifying something somehow.

So I can see where it is, but can't see whats causing it. Bloody annoying sound it is as well!

hora
    Free Member

Checked the tension of each spoke?

kaesae
    Free Member

Can you think of anything that might have been the cause and does the rim have any damage like cracks?

hora
    Free Member

Borrow a friends wheel as well. run it in place of your own. It may be something else

_tom_
    Free Member

Not properly checked tension but those in the area the noise is coming from are no tighter/looser than any in the rest of the wheel.

Rim looks in good condition. Only thing thats worrying me is that the general area of the noise is near the weld of the rim. Doesn't look damaged at all though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Rattling sound from front wheel’ is closed to new replies.