Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rattling cassette on hope pro 2 evo hub.
  • jekkyl

previously I’ve had less than XT cassette fitted and they have caused the usual indents on the hub. Now I have fitted an XT cassette it rattles about on the hub. I’m absolutely certain it’s tightened as much as it should be and there’s no other problems when cycling apart from the rattling, which is annoying.
    Is it these indents that cause the rattling does anyone reckon and Any way to remedy apart from purchase a new hub and get the wheel rebuilt?

chickenman

You’ve not got the issue where pairs (or groups) of sprockets have loose rivets? They move relative to each other rather the freehub. Common problem and a warranty issue.

poltheball
    Free Member

Haharr! I’ve had the same issue on my bike, and just went and checked. Mine is the rivets. I was feart about the state of my freehub too, but couldn’t find the tool to whip the cassette off the other night so didn’t get as far as finding out what it was!

Cheers chickenman

mick_r

I also got rattling at a race last week (XT on Pro 2 evo)- same here with loose rivets holding smallest spider / sprockets together. Swapped out for a spare and will be returned on warranty.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Also worth checking whether the notches caused by your ‘less than’ XT cassette have snagged the smallest loose sprockets on your new cassette upon tightening the lockring. If this is the case – these guys will be holding the lockring load – leaving the solid spider half of the cassette free to float about.

Also check you don’t need a small spacer at the back of the cassette to take up any slight slack

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Also, have a look at the drive side hub bearing, it’s generally the first one to collapse and would cause the appearance that the cassette is rattling.

jekkyl

cheers guys, I’ll take it off and check it. It does seem like something is loose as I can place fingers either side of the cassette and waggle it to and fro. The bearings were all replaced less than 6 months ago but I will check the freehub for movement when the cassette is off.

mark_rich
    Free Member

Recently fitted a xt 11 speed cassette onto a halo hub and it rattled due to the cassette not been wide enough to tighten up sufficiently, had to put a 1mm spacer behind the cassette (from whinstanleys I think). Not sure if it was a 11speed issue but never had a problem before.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rattling cassette on hope pro 2 evo hub.’ is closed to new replies.