Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • RatRace Crossing 2016 – anyone from Hull area or Newcastle area
  • skamoto
    Free Member

Hi,

Is someone from the Hull or Newcastle area doing the 2016 RatRace Crossing 1-3 July?

I’m looking for someone able to give me a ride to the start in Whitehaven.
    Coming from The Netherlands I can take my bike on the ferry but that will either put me ashore in Hull or Newcastle.

All advice is welcome!

jonba
    Free Member

I can’t help you with a lift but if you come on the ferry to Newcastle I assume you’ll arrive in Tynemouth. It is a shortish ride to Newcastle central station using one of the National cycle networks along the river.

From Newcastle you can get the train to Whitehaven via Carlisle. In theory both trains take bikes but space is limited and it is done on a first com first served basis. It is free to take bikes on. I have never had an issue as even when there were too many bikes if the train is not full then the ticket inspectors let you on.

The train isn’t that expensive and you can buy in advance using http://www.thetrainline.co.uk.

Other options for Newcastle are to try Newcastle Mountain Bike Club or one of the various face book groups in the area such as cycling around Tyne and Wear

skamoto
    Free Member

Thanks.

Trekster

Do RatRace not run a bus over to Whitehaven? We got the bus back when we did it a couple of yrs ago. Check the web site.
    From FAQ; http://ratrace.com/crossing2016/faq/
    “Yes. Either. We will have transfer buses for you (and your gear and bike) to get your car positioned at the finish, pre-event, so you can drive away when you reach the finish (there’s an incentive!). OR you can leave your car at the Start and we will bus you back there afterwards.”

Mail the organisers for more info….

Enjoy the trip…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘RatRace Crossing 2016 – anyone from Hull area or Newcastle area’ is closed to new replies.