Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Rate my woodpile slate my mancave
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

hi all, We’ve bought some land with a shed/Cave (and toilet) and I want to get to work stopping it from falling apart, making it warm in winter and making it a touch more secure (this however isn’t a massive issue, but an improvement on the current situation would be good!)

It will be used for bike storage and workshop, ski and snowboard waxing and garden tool storage etc for a couple of years, before we build a garage, but I want to make fix it up well as we will keep it for many years hopefully.

First, the building itself. How best to treat wood, paint and make weatherproof? Small boy gives sense of scale

second, the woodpile, please rate (also shows structure of wall, how best to insulate?)

End section, will be used for lawnmower, garden tools etc. Doesn’t need to be insulated so much as to ‘work’ in there.

only decent photo of main part in the middle, you see see a covered old window, some floor structure and so on…

Caveat is it gets to -25c here sometimes in Winter! Do your worst!

willard

That looks a little scandinavian… Sweden?

Insulation in the wall cavities covered with 6mm ply? Floor maybe the same but with 12mm ply over the top?

Woodpile really needs stacking…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Woodpile needs stacking, and a shelf in there. One woodpile is no good, as you need to be stockpiling for the following winter, hence the shelf.

sandwicheater

Tell that kid to pull their trousers up.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yes, sweden, woodpile will be stacked outdoors, probably behind the building

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The roof appears to slope towards the rear of the building, don’t stack your wood there. As a temporary measure, cut a pallet into two foot strips and stack your wood against the front facing wall. The pallet will get it off the ground

nedrapier

need to get junior some lino for proper breakin’!

giantalkali
    Free Member

Don’t ask the inhabitants of a wet and windy country how to store wood in a cold, dry country. Ask your neighbours. Germans store wood very differently to us, the Fins do it differently again. Each way suits the climate

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Don’t ask the inhabitants of a wet and windy country how to store wood in a cold, dry country. Ask your neighbours. Germans store wood very differently to us, the Fins do it differently again. Each way suits the climate

The method I suggested was illustrated in Norwegian Wood.

An essential read if you don’t already have a copy.

willard

McMooter, you both worry and amaze me. How many books on wood do you own? How many have you written?

Howsyourdad1, cool! I thought it looked familiar. I know someone with a similar style of house near Linkoping.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Your small child is just about to jump to light speed grab him quick!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ha just to confirm the woodpile in my current house does not look like that, it’s on pallets and nicely covered under the eves.I copied my neighbours and they are of course Scandinavian.

Would old carpet be good for the floor?

dashed
    Free Member

As it’s scandanavia, there must only be one sort of red external paint you can buy, so I’d not worry too much about choice there 😉

As for insulation – kingspan sheets inside are quick and easy…

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

yeah i think its in the planning documents that all buildings must be red

willard

Apparently it _is_ a national thing: Falu rodfarg.

I never knew that.

kennyp
    Free Member

Bit lacking in man cave stuff surely? For example bikes, tools and really elaborate Scalextric set ups.

Stoner
    Free Member
    willard

Wow, that’s a lot of wood. I think that might even trump McMooter’s serious log fetish.

howsyourdad1, I was round that way at the weekend, enjoying a scenic lunch in Gränna before a stopover near Linköping on the Sunday night. I love Sweden even more now.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Wow, that’s a lot of wood. I think that might even trump McMooter’s serious log fetish.

Defers to the Scandinavian masters. I think my tally is at 15 now 😯

My tree surgeon friend phoned on Friday, by Sunday night I’d uplifted three trailer loads of logs to process. Opportunities like that are hard to say no to.

boblo
    Free Member

Now that was a surprise. I formerly thought that particular Amazon product was for very specific tastes… 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Now that was a surprise. I formerly thought that particular Amazon product was for very specific tastes…

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Ha fantastic proud displays of wood

@willard nice I’ve been to Gränna, did you have any of their hard candy? That is around 9 hours south of me mind.

ourmaninthenorth

Looks like an excellent project..!

For inspiration, watch Darbin Orvar on YouTube.

Tell your son that MC Hammer is not a style icon 😉

willard

Heh! As it happens, I brought back two bags for work to enjoy. So far the original seems to be popular, the jägarisar flavour (aniseed and liquorice) not so much.

I saw a lot of places I’d like to live in the journey from Malmo to Stockholm, but I am sure there are other places elsewhere in the country that I would love too.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I will get my son some well fitting slacks post haste!

Well Willard if you ever feel like stacking some wood up on Rödön let me know !

qwerty
    Free Member

Is that a metal corrugated roof? If so will it not drip condensation all over your stored stuff? May need insulating.

Could you not stack the wood up along the outside walls to add to the overall insulation?

mmannerr

Wood needs only some cover from the rain and some base or logs to keep them off the ground, artistic stacking is optional. 🙂
    For the shed you can’t just add insulation, the dew point has to be figured out with the heating so that moisture won’t be collected in wrong layer during winter. The local builders will help, only few hundred thousand SEK needed.

jimjam
    Free Member

mmannerr – Member

Wood needs only some cover from the rain and some base or logs to keep them off the ground, artistic stacking is optional.

Artistic stacking strikes me as a pain in the arse in terms of cutting the grass around it.

willard

howsyourdad1, You’re on!

I plan on being around Stockholm quite a lot in the coming months, then likely Linköping for a month in August. I want to see more of the country, so going north might be a plan!

Also, there is nothing wrong with artistic stacking. You just need sheep around to keep the grass down.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Sheep are perhaps a lifestyle choice too far! Have a good time down South, it is all pretty nice really!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Rate my woodpile slate my mancave’ is closed to new replies.