Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Rate my website?
  • flyingmonkeycorps

It’s a work in progress as I learn WordPress a bit more, and I’m well aware that most of the text needs a rewrite, but… Thoughts?

http://cleanslateimages.co.uk/

chvck
    Free Member

I like it, simple and clean IMO. One thing that is a bit odd is that on pages other than the portfolio everything feels like it’s too far over to the left and there’s loads of space left on the right!

flyingmonkeycorps

Cheers! I’m currently trying to work out how to put a sidebar on the right, especially on the blog, but I’m not quite there yet.

Oh and trying to fix the gallery spacing problem on the blog too.

marvincooper

Looks good, not entirely sure about having the old chap as the first image that loads though, thought it was you at first – maybe it is?

piemonster

I prefer your username tbh

flyingmonkeycorps

Not me… Yet. Nah I agree about it as the front page image, one of the things on my list of “to tweak” things.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I suspect this thread is doomed

JEngledow
    Free Member

I like the simplicity, but think that the menu/links on the left could be a little easier to navigate -would it work better if you split the portfolio and prices into two sections (one for wedding and one for non-wedding photography)? I suspect that the two sets of people interested in these services are only interested in one or the other and so want all the information in one place where it’s easy to find (just my opinion).

ask1974
    Free Member

Nice. Not far short of excellant and well up there. Two things that really bother me about websites are 1) navigation and 2) finding information. I think you have both well covered. On my iPad I can swipe left / right and up / down to view your images which makes it easy and enjoyable to flick through your work.

I think the ‘about’ and ‘pricing’ pages are a little long winded, no one will read it all. Keep it minimal with just the important information, maybe link to a downloadable PDF where details about your packages can be accessed by those keen to find out more of what the packages contain.

On the left sidebar lose the dashes separating the tabs, they detract from the clean feel of the site and look untidy. Not sure you need another side bar,I like the big photo space it has impact. The only other thing I would suggest is adding some colour, not much and I know you pro guys love black and white, but just a touch somewhere to brighten it up.

Very good effort and well on the way I say.

martinhutch

Just scanning it in punter fashion, the only things that strike me is the sheer size of the images on the page (viewing on a PC – must work much better on tablet/mobile) – and that I’m more likely to associate the term ‘clean slate’ with a relationship breakup than a marriage.

Otherwise very good/navigable.

geoffj

Lose the old bloke off the front page and ditch the **** v for victory salute on the picture of you – looks like you’ve lost you’re 80s girl band.

Otherwise it is very very good.

hilldodger
    Free Member

clean and works well, agree with the comments on the front page image tho.
    Some nice pictures, although in wedding 3/24 the minister and groom seem to have strange headpieces 😉

labsey
    Free Member

Nice. I’d change the opening picture though.

mogrim

Nice, although another vote for changing the opening picture.

And no offence intended, but I’d get rid of the photo of you – you look a bit on the young side, which could easily be construed to be inexperienced. Likewise I’d separate your twitter account between personal stuff and photography – the content of your Facebook page (as is) is a much better advert for your business.

Love the photography, though!

leffeboy

Very nice indeed (and I like the opening picture). Google seems happy as well as they have a good bunch of your stuff indexed already. As everyone else has said it is clean, clear and it works. There are real prices up so visitors have got an idea of your price range. A functioning blog, address in home page (so Google can find you for local search), real filenames on photos for image search (although they could be slightly more detailed). Good stuff

Edit: your facebook is good as well but all the photos there appear to be hosted on fb as well. You might want to put links back to the gallery on your main site as well to draw people from facebook into your domain. We tend to find that folks who come from our fb page rather than general google search tend to stay longer on our main site.

theboatman
    Free Member

The old dude who looks like he is filling his pants doesn’t do a lot for me, but the rest looks grand.

organic355
    Free Member

images take ages to load for me so you are just met with a black space on the right.

We have all got super fast broadband, so not sure if you can make them load quicker? perhaps it a Mac thing though dont know?

RobHilton
    Free Member

What is it with the newlyweds with the fields in background? They don’t look like they’re really there.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I like the photo off the old fella. The simplicity of the website appeals to me.

If I wasn’t already married, or if my children were a bit nicer looking, I’d hire you.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Yeah great….
    Why do photographers always have to have ‘quirky’ web sites?
    SB

elliott-20
    Free Member

Nice theme 😉

As you’ve jumped in the deep-end and trying to manipulate a fairly substantial, responsive theme you may find find it quite a learning curve, that is unless you know code.

However, that maybe a little harsh but it’s well thought out, clean and crisp and seems to be optimised and indexed properly. Personally I like using photoshelter/graph paper press with wordpress, There’s lots advantages to help photographers using their plugins.

nickjb
    Free Member

Doesn’t work at all on my phone. The menu covers most of the content. Opera browser on a Nokia.

Gotama
    Free Member

Looks good. With regard to the wedding photo examples one of the elements we enjoy most about looking back at our pictures are the photos of other people having a good time. You know where there’s a group of friends talking and the photographer has captured the mood of the event, everyone with sensible facial expressions and people laughing and smiling etc. Or even the party bit post meal with everyone dancing.

Also do you have any that are different, people in unusual locations, funny poses….something that makes you stand out from every other photographer doing weddings. The guy that did ours was a friend who usually works as advertising photographer and we’ve got a couple of shots that my wife loves showing people because they are a little different from the norm. Not posting them on here but drop me an email and i’ll show you want i mean if its helpful.

Edit : agree with the above comment on your personal picture on there.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

ditch the photo of the two wedding rings with H. SAMUEL written in the box ! H.SAMUEL are a cheap brand thus cheapening your brand !

To wishy washy with your pricing…youre doing a great job and it has a massive outlay be more serious about pricing

these are the guys I used for my wedding (also a friend)

http://www.bigday-weddings.com/

Get some bar/bat-mitzvah shots/christening (if thats in your area!)

flyingmonkeycorps

Cheers guys, much appreciated – I shall be implementing some changes tomorrow, and I’ll definitely be taking comments on board.

I’ve definitely got more than a few “people enjoying themselves at weddings” photos, I shall get some of those in there.

Not sure why it doesn’t work on the Nokia, is it a Windows 8 one? It’s one of the few things I’ve not tested on, it seems to work really well on most phones / tablets – I wonder if it’s trying to display the full size version on the phone. I shall investigate (as best I can…)

the-muffin-man

I would say that you need a mobile number and an email address on your contact page – I’m not a big fan of forms.

chvck
    Free Member

Generally people use forms and don’t publish an email to prevent getting loads of spam, it’s pretty standard these days.

blurty

For me, images 13, 20 and 24 are the strongest.

I’d put one of them on the front

The first page needs a lot of polishing, I’m sure you’re aware. As other have said, try not to loose the simplicity though – it’s very appealing.

Good luck – you obviously have talent. I hope it’s a sucess

blurty

For me, images 13, 20 and 24 are the strongest.

Sorry, 13, 22, 24

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Watch out for big images:
    eg http://cleanslateimages.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/M-and-S-Church1.jpg

Uplaod large images and allow the system to use the image compression built into WP and then select the “crunched” versions ie small, medium, large, you’ll get smaller file sizes and faster load times.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Rate my website?’ is closed to new replies.