Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Rate my run and tips please. (Please be kind)
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

For some insane reason I’ve decided to have a go at running. Not mincing around on the pavement in shorts too small for me and 100 quid trainers but with the dog over the fields and in to the woods. Today was my third attempt on the same route which is basically proper cross country, you’d need a fat bike minimum in parts and possibly a tractor. I figured this squidgyness may help my glass back over pavement pounding? I managed today to run 2 whole miles in just under 22 mins 😳 this included 300ish ft of climbing, I appreciate I’m **** slow but have improved since the start.
    Now for the tips,
    Warm up? I don’t do any
    Footwear? I’m wearing footy boots as it’s that boggy, my other shoes, squash trainers or mtb flats will result in death I’m sure.
    Warm down?
    And the ago old question? How to go further and faster.
    I await the heat of stw flames…

nickc

If you’re shoes are comfy and you’re running pain free, then: unorthodox! But who am I to argue… 😆

Yep, time seems slow, don’t worry about it, just aim to run. I wouldn’t even time it to be honest. I would try to extend your route to another mile though, if you think you can manage it? Could you find a flatter route? It would make starting off running a bit easier for your legs.

Plan: run your route, at first try to just run it, 3 times a week. Stay alert for twinges and aches, and stop running and rest if you do feel anything. Do this for 6-8 weeks, don’t time it, just run, get used to going for a run.

Then either time it so that you can go faster, or extend the distance a bit, and repeat the process.

Good luck !

joshvegas
    Free Member

Get some proper footwear mudclaws or similar.

Warm up for me depends if its straight up hill i’ll do 2 or 3k on the flat first. (My fastest 5k times have come after a 5k warm up)

I find the most significant speed improver is speint session once a week.

djglover
    Free Member

To go further slow down, perhaps buy a hr monitor and aim to keep your hr under 70-75% max. To me this equates to breathing in with 4 steps and out with 4 steps. If you are starting out this could end up really slow, and off road with gradients you will be walking often. Run every other day and add 0.5 mile to the run every other time you run. Once a week do a session where your eyes are poping out though to progress your fitness a bit.

Footwear, currently I’m using a salomon fell raiser I picked up for 40 quid from txmaxx great shoe for the slop and has support for firmer trails.

Go to a fell race, you won’t be last and it will bring a bit of fun and something to aim for training wise.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter how long it’s taking you, and that isn’t too bad a time if it’s that muddy and 300ft of climbing.

However you may find it easier at first to start running on flatter less boggy stuff.

Stretch after, and stretch again after but not before

Sandwich

Depending on you age you may find that running in biblical slop can cause leg muscles to get pulled. Take most care on the downhill sections.

wrightyson
    Free Member

41 next month.
    There’s no chance of a pre warm up walk really as it’s over the garden fence and in to the fields. The first part of the run is a hill (cliff face) which is probably a good 150m straight up in distance so heart rate is definitely up straight away. The only thing I find is my calves feel strained and that someone is stood on my ribs when I get back, which then ache for a day or so after. Never get that when giving it some on the bike so presume it’s just my moobs smashing into themselves 😆

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I find the calve pain thing normal running up steep hills if I’ve done a lot of biking and not much running. Doing stretches really helps. You should try and build some ‘flat’ in to your run though as up and down will not give your legs chance to get used to running.

I have found too that if you only run once, twice a week you get more pains/niggles than if I run more! Oh and running simply does just hurt more than biking

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Start slow, and build up.

Thank me later.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Lungs, ribcage and surrounding muscle won’t be a problem after a few runs.

the-muffin-man

One of the best tips I got off here was get some decent socks! It stops your feet sliding around in your shoes. They made more of a difference to me than different trainers. I was advised these More Mile socks…

http://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Mile-London-Running-8-5-10-5/dp/B012OAA80K/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1460707194&sr=1-1&keywords=more+miles+socks

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

The hardest bit about running is getting out of the door.
    Once you’ve done that, it’s easy.

Good choice for staying off roads. It’s all about countryside, hills, mud, rain, wind, sleet, snow and occasionally a nice sunrise/sunset.

https://www.sportsshoes.com/products/z/z/running/shoes/?$terrain=light-trail&l=20

Just enjoy it. Don’t fret about speed and distance. They come after you’ve mastered “getting out of the door”

wrightyson
    Free Member

Thanks for all the positives. Getting out the door at 6 ish doesn’t seem to be a problem as el doggyo still needs his walk. He’s getting a real good workout too as he really loves bombing backwards and forwards beside me.
    One thing I have noticed is it feels great and invogarating to get up get out exercise and then shower before work which is something I’ve never done before due to my job. I’ll keep on plugging away and slowly up the ante….

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

Running in the morning sets you up for the day*. I always feel much better for it.
    Sadly, the straight up the ilkley moor side from the house at 6am has not been good to my calf muscles as I get older.

I’ll always be a runner before a cyclist. Just so much simpler. Shoes on, off we go. No mechanicals, no cleaning the bike, no expensive kit, better exercise in a shorter period of time.

*unless I’ve done the foolish 15 miles to work, in which case I am asleep by 11

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d warm up before hitting a big hill – stretch, jiggle etc for 5 minutes first. Speaking as someone who lives at the bottom of a much smaller hill, this does help. What I do is walk briskly and jog slowly up the first hill alternating, stretch a bit, then jog along the flat and hit the next hill properly.

High intensity helps build speed and endurance much better than endless plodding, but sounds like you already have that covered by your choice of terrain.

As above, if you’re off-road you can ignore any stats other than your own, cos you can’t compare with anyone else. This can be liberating. On road I am concerned about keeping going at the right pace, but off-road it’s just about covering ground much like MTBing. I stop much more, but this allows me to happily do 2-3 hours which I could never do on-road. However I choose training sessions on-road (well, pavement) because it’s easier and harder – if you see what I mean.

jb72
    Free Member

The hardest bit about running is getting out of the door.

Ain’t that the truth.

djglover
    Free Member

at the bottom of the hill, and running straight up it not warmed up never feels right. I almost always warn up for 5-10 mins on the flat

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

at the bottom of the hill, and running straight up it not warmed up never feels right. I almost always warn up for 5-10 mins on the flat

hehe. Not really much of an option where I am – that way lies town, and roads…

And I’d never have time to get to the nicer bits of the moor if I did that. It’s not just about the exercise, it’s the pleasure of being on the hills and surveying my domain…

Rockape63
    Free Member

I never warmed up for a run….maybe a few quick leg stretches and off!

Never caused me any problems, but I suppose I always started the first few hundred yards at a very steady pace.

alibongo001

Is this turning into a what shoes for……………..?

molgrips
    Free Member

I never warmed up for a run….maybe a few quick leg stretches… I always started the first few hundred yards at a very steady pace

Ummmm… 🙂

finbar
    Free Member

For some insane reason I’ve decided to have a go at running. Not mincing around on the pavement in shorts too small for me and 100 quid trainers but with the dog over the fields and in to the woods.

Here’s a tip. No need to start drawing boundaries between different types of running – it’s not like cycling in that regard 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just been out this morning, and this thread reminded me of tips off here previously and what djglover says above.

Running slow really helps ! In the past I used to go as fast as I could every run. Legs always felt tired and could never get above 4-5 miles.

This thread has reminded me about it again. Just been out now, only done 3.5 miles what felt like at snails pace, but when checking Strava was my 2nd fastest time. My legs feel completely fresh. Tommorow will do 10 miles…. slowly

Never, ever stretch before a run with cold legs, there is no benefit and risks tearing ligaments/muscles

Kuco

Get some Adidas Kanadia 7 only £36 at the moment on http://www.sportshoes.com I use them for off road and obstacle racing.

nickc

Get some Adidas Kanadia 7 only £36

[shudders at the memory]

I’m a real fan of Addidas, but these give me terrible calf issues. Just goes to show that you need to try on as many as possible!

wrightyson
    Free Member

I reckon i wouldn’t know a good running shoe from a bad by trying them on. Hence running in boots at the moment. I admit it probably isn’t ideal as I don’t suppose your average Sunday leaguer covers more than 2 miles in such footwear.
    Any other suggestions, Mrs ws just caught me looking at the sports shoe website and raised the all seeing FD eyebrow. Cheaper the better as at this stage it’s deemed a “fad”

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You can get more miles Cheviot 3’s for £30.

I’ve got a pair. Super grippy in mud but not great fit. I like Inov 8’s and you can get trail roc’s for £50. They are a good moorland/grass shoe, they struggle in really thick glupe and steep stuff where proper full off road mud claws would be better, however they are too much in anything but really thick mud

onlysteel
    Free Member

Some sensible tips up above, plus:
    Try a few off-road shoes. Personally I wear asics, but go for what feels right for YOU.
    Stretch after. Start with easy pace to warm up. Wouldn’t recommend going hell for leather straight up hill – do a short loop prior to minimise risk of strains or tears.
    Every other day to start.
    Add another 2 or 3 routes if you can to give a bit of variety.
    Don’t get hung up on times, HRMs etc. With respect, I doubt you’ll be troubling elite athletes so why fret about such things. Enjoy it for what it is.
    Getting out the door on a filthy dark night can be an issue, but once out I’ve never regretted it.

bensales
    Free Member

mrmoosehead

I’ll always be a runner before a cyclist. Just so much simpler.

Now there’s familiar name from ‘another place’. How you doing Moose?

xico
    Free Member

OP, you are doing just fine. Run slow, run easy and gradually increase the distance. No need to even consider upping your speed, this will occur naturally as you get fitter.

brocks
    Free Member

Op been doing the same for a while now far better than the road just like road cycling have you ever seen either smiling. As for socks I find you can’t beat sealskins, feet warm and dry and easier to clean no ingrained muck under nails or in cracks much better. Enjoy it forget about time it doesn’t matter when running in countryside. 😆

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Rate my run and tips please. (Please be kind)’ is closed to new replies.