• This topic has 71 replies, 59 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ctk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Rate my resignation letter ….
  • rickmeister

Well, pulled the pin on that one today…. I just need to vent a bit after crappy managers, unreasonable actions adjusting invoices amongst other things…

Its part of the cleansing, moving on process, flame away… its a done deal…. sent as an email.. bit long, it looks worse in the forum format….

Good morning XXXXXXX,

Thanks for the password resend, I made a mess of this over the weekend and thanks for working with XXXXX to clear part of the invoice.

I will be concise, as I suggest to my clients.

As Director for XXXXX I look to you for leadership. As such, I am following your approach to emails. If you are happy to include others in the conversation I feel it reasonable to follow suit.

I would like to respond to the points you make in your mail so offer the following:

I think that it is clear that you clearly have no respect for myself or for the this business which has always kept a steady flow of clients for you.
    From the outset, I have been supportive of both you and the business, from you explaining about your age and what you have achieved when I started back in 2015. In fact, I still am, having appreciated the chats about travel, your faith, Russia, banter in the office over weekends when you have been working and more. I even offered support when your resignation mail came around in March.

This is despite being threatened with no further work on two occasions from incorrect assessment of situations by using email trails alone, both without and attempt at an apology. Once I was a “trusted and valued writer”, I feel more like a production unit than ever before.

I have no issue with you wanting to discuss my email, but your email and using terms such as “fekked off” is completely unacceptable.
    I apologise for this if you are offended. I’m surprised though as when helping to sort out challenging clients of mine, we both know your language has turned the air blue and the amount of swearing in regard to your clients was eye opening. They may be awkward, but they are paying the bills.

I have emailed numerous times this year, consistently reminding all the writers how the invoicing system works.
    I have no evidence to support this statement in 2173 mails received from you since 16th February 2015. I checked them all.

I chased you for your invoice last month and you decided not to send it across…. You have done this a lot in the past and done it again this month by sending me 2 months’ worth of invoicing
    You are correct and I apologise.

I don’t think you understand that we are legitimate company
    I completely do understand and Companies House supports this. Legitimate companies with ISO 9001 accreditation, however:
    – Don’t ask their employees to lie to clients about recording conversations (even though you don’t, you told me you don’t, remember XXXXXXX? )
    – Have some sort of contract, anything at all, whatever it may be, explaining expectations, systems and processes, even for people in the Gig economy like myself. We only have an agreement based on trust, nothing else.
    – Provide templates for new starters which show what is to be produced at the outset, rather than allocating clients then contractors requesting templates two weeks later

We can only pay for clients, fully completed in that month… If changes are still being done the month after, then they aren’t completed, are they?
    I also want to make it clear that the sales team also don’t get commission on them if they get refunded or until they are fully completed.

Understood. So, clients are allocated, I call them, speak to them for an hour, they agree to send through additional material then never get in touch again despite additional calls and mails?
    What do you do as you have been paid up front? Refund them or keep their money … ?

Last Thursday even though you were on holiday for the week, you managed to check my invoice as you have every right to do. Going through the mails with clients, you have unilaterally decided, based on information that is not complete and incorrect, to delete the figures on my invoice and fabricate your own numbers. My fault perhaps, it should have been sent as a pdf.
    We used to get proactive calls checking completed clients. They stopped a long time ago.

Would you accept this from someone XXXXX had billed, who thought up a different number based on inaccurate facts?

Currently, I have £743 remaining in my client pipeline, some complete, some ongoing. From what you adjusted and paid I have no idea who it is for and I’m not confident of being paid for any clients going forwards. Who knows, I could try and bill for someone who has already been billed, it’s that vague right now.

I have enjoyed my time with XXXXXX, met and talked to very interesting people in amazing jobs. I have helped career progressions into new roles and countries and been appreciated for the work I have done. I have also valued my fellow writers support and humour getting through the challenges of difficult clients.

From this morning, I am no longer offering my service to XXXXX’s with immediate effect.

I wish you and the team the best going forward. I have done my bit but will have no further input to your clients or business as of now.

and………. breath……

thegreatape
    Free Member

What is was your job?

Klunk
    Free Member

Too long 0-10

DezB
    Free Member

Do you think they’ll read it to the end?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

you clearly have no respect for myself

Credibility shot.

martinhutch

Resignation as self-therapy is an interesting approach. As a writer, I assume the ‘**** you’ tone is deliberate?

Credibility shot.

I think the italics may be extracted from his former employer’s email to him.

devash
    Free Member

Could be more concise and definite. I wouldn’t read that as a resignation email, more a bit or a ranty email ending with the threat of walking out of the company.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Should have opened with…”Darling Fascist Bully-boy” and cloised with “Boomshanka”

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My mistake, thanks Martin.

Still breath/breathe. 🙂

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Flounce

“trusted and valued writer”

I guess reading that you were some kind of freelance writer and not a permanent employee of xxxxxx?

I would have preferred a short version.

Dear xxxx

I quit.

Regards,

Rantyrickmeister

oldnpastit

I’ve always avoided saying what I actually think in resignation letters. I can’t see the point of leaving something behind that may come back to bite, even if indirectly.

Plus, way too long. Most managers never read past the first paragraph.

mechanicaldope

Not sure if it is the words re-arranging themselves in my head but I don’t follow any of that!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve read some of it but I have no idea what you’re talking about.

I would just stick to the standard ‘I resign…., leaving date is’. You’ll have more respect that way.

the-muffin-man

I’ve read some of it but I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Me neither.

If you are freelance just refuse any more work and ask them to pay you what you are owed.

tthew

Not sure if it is the words re-arranging themselves in my head but I don’t follow any of that!

It’s a resignation letter – from a casual job as a writer. 😆

From this morning, I am no longer offering my service to XXXXX’s with immediate effect.

Was all that was really required. The rest of it just makes sure you never get any work from them in future, even if the problematical manager leaves.

IHN

Meh, makes you sound like a bit of a dick.

Drac

I think you had to be there as I’ve got no idea what he’s on about just a long winded flounce.

“I quit because you’re a rubbish person to work for and I’ve covered your arse to protect your interests for too long”

That would do.

sc-xc

I will be concise, as I suggest to my clients.

Thank **** we didn’t get the long version!

martinhutch

I could sub-edit it a bit for you and you could hurry it over as a corrected draft?

sbob
    Free Member

oldnpastit – Member

I’ve always avoided saying what I actually think in resignation letters. I can’t see the point of leaving something behind that may come back to bite, even if indirectly.

Absolutely this.

cbike
    Free Member

Most people just say.

“Thanks for having me.

My last day will be x”

I found it inefficient and boring. With any luck they’ll frame it and put it on the wall.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Credibility shot.
    I think the italics may be extracted from his former employer’s email to him.

I’m assuming CFH is referring to the use of “myself” not “me” (twice). I’m with CFH.

darrell
    Free Member

Its very bad form to actually say why you resign in the letter

Merely state I resign, date and thanks

If you want to vent do it in private to the person(s) involved or talk about the reasons in a group meeting

Gary_M
    Free Member

So is this a different manager to the last one you had an issue with on this post?

wwaswas

I’d say it wasn’t a resignation as you weren’t an employee.

You’re terminating a business relationship and burning your bridges in some detail. I’m not sure that’s ever a good idea.

People there will move on to other roles and companies and remember you.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What are you trying to prove in that letter OP?

To be honest I gave up after the first few lines.

IMO resignation should be to the point.

Just read the last sentance, is that the first time you actually mention resigning?

And can you resign immediately, I would be very surprised if thats not breach of contract.

0.5 out of 10 at best.

Oh and never ever burn bridges not matter what (unless you are taking them to tribunal)

Tiger6791

thegreatape – Member
    What is was your job?

Gonna guess at Copywritter working on a semi freelance basis.. ???

stumpy01

rickmeister – Member

……both without and attempt at an apology.

I don’t think ‘an’ has a ‘d’ on the end…. 😉

It was a bit waffly & ranty – like a school playground argument….not sure it paints you in a very good light, but from the sounds of it you don’t really care.
    Did you send that to your boss & cc some others in, or something?

Last time I resigned from a position I really didn’t like I just wrote a standard letter & discussed the reasons with my ‘boss’ when I gave him the letter.

bikebouy
    Free Member

incredulous, incomprehensible gibberish.

1-10.

Why not just write:

Dear Tosser,

Clearly you hate me, so I quit.
    I’m owed £XXXX, please ensure that is included in in my last receipt.
    My employment with you ceases XXXXXX
    Any holiday due will be taken before my employment ceases.
    Any company assets will be handed over on my last day to my line manager.

Love and Kisses
    XXXXXXXXX

Junkyard
    Free Member

abstract writer is my guess

Also I agree with just resign in a formulaic manner

I resign from this date you have all been lovely we grew together blah blah bland positive platitudes sad to go you were lovely

Bye

I might just put punctuation in it if i really cared 😉

IHN

abstract writer

I think we can all agree on that

slimjim78
    Free Member

Well, I like it.

I mean, I see what the others are saying about the length of it, and the ranty-ness, but I do like a bit of comeuppance. If your facts are straight, your manager sounded like the end of a bell and its good to know they’ve effectively been told so – and i’d imagine his peers/management will get to see the email as well. So he/she will have some backtracking and serious email scouring to do (at least).

If it was the company owner that you’ve sent this to, then I guess it is a bit pointless – other than to help you feel better about the situation.

I came out of one job years ago where I felt like I had been really hard done by – ended up in an argument with the ‘impartial’ HR rep during my exit interview and to this day I regret not seeking further advice about the treatment.

Either way, good luck with future roles.

chewkw
    Free Member

Is that the way your apologise to the company?

Life is too short to write long apologetic resignation letter.

Summarise into three sentences.

Sort the reasons coz nobody cares if you are leaving …

🙄

gobuchul
    Free Member

that’s terrible.

You sound terrible.

As others have said, just a simple letter and I don’t you can resign from a freelance position.

Have a face to face with your ex-boss and tell him where things went wrong, don’t write it down.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Isn’t the rule of thumb to write it, leave it a day, then edit it?
    Otherwise you can come across as a bit of a wally…… oh wait.

drlex
    Free Member

I even offered support when your resignation mail came around in March

Are you writing to someone who resigned? 😕

I’m kinda with bikebouy‘s more succinct suggestion but if you’re in a freelancer role, leave that one unsent and just the “I’m off; you owe me £X for work completed and time spent”.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I’d not employ either of you.

iamtheresurrection

I imagine most managers would breathe a sigh of relief reading that, and then move on to something more important… Sorry.

plyphon
    Free Member

And some people wonder why their life is full of drama

footflaps

Was that a draft of your first novel?

If so, you should hire a good editor.

A resignation letter is three lines max.

Rule #1, nobody really cares why you’re leaving.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Rate my resignation letter ….’ is closed to new replies.