Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rate My Hill (please) – Monks Road
  • monksie
    Free Member

Well, I say “my” hill as it has the same name as me so that’s what it’s referred to in our house. Oh, it’s a road ride hill rather than a mountain bike hill.
    1609 metres in length with 178 meters of climb (1 mile in length, 587 feet up).
    I think and my legs and lungs certainly feel it’s a bugger but comparing it with examples in the 100 Best Hill Climbs of Britain, it would seem to rate 6 or maybe 7 out of 10.
    What do you lot reckon? Is that kind if gradient as easy as and I need to take up cycle speedway or am I right to (not fear it but certainly) have a stern word with myself before I go up it? Compact chainset and 25 on the back by the way.
    Feel free to ridicule my puny’ness if it’s warranted.
    Actually, I’ve just done the math. By my reckoning, that should be average 10% gradient shouldn’t it? If that’s right, Bikely is furbar’d. It’s hideously steeper than that, I’m sure.
    It’s The Monks road out of Charlesworth (Derbyshire) if anybody knows it.
    Edit: Nah, something wrong with those figures. I’m going to check again.

monksie
    Free Member

Stand down – I’ve just found this http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forums/viewtopic.php?p=15111182&sid=4751b79a8370720fce484ab21576bf10
    20% and a bit of a bugger.

sambob
    Free Member

Never ridden up it, but i’ve ridden up the field next to it towards combs edge. That’s horrible, just drags on for ages, especially with a headwind. So i’d guess it’s not very pleasant.

monksie
    Free Member

That’s interesting sambob. Thanks for the reply. I do a regular ride over there past Robin Hood’s Picking Rods, Lantern Pike, Middle Moor etc. but I didn’t realise there was off road to be had further over to Charlesworth. Is it any good?

crazy-legs

Yes, the off road round there is pretty good although might not all be legal…

Monks Road is an absolute bastard. I avoid it whenever possible!

monksie
    Free Member

The sportive/hill climb site is excellent, thanks very much whos_daddy.
    I’ll have a cheeky mid week daytime look at the off road out that way. Monks Road or Winnats Pass, James. If you had to do one, which would it be?

sambob
    Free Member

Yeah it’s not quite legal, but we saw the farmer the other week and asked him and he said we were fine to ride there 😀 But be warned there’s a decent sized penalty for failure if you fall to the right heading towards mellor.

Edit: fancy a midweek cheeky ride sometime after the 13th of june Monksie? My last exam then so free almost all summer after that.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

No worries fella..?

monksie
    Free Member

Yes please Sambob. I’m off long term and I’m very bored. I’m hoping to get out for a ride this comimg week with a regular of this website “cough”.
    Good luck with your exams. Degree finals?

Bunnyhop

OOh I don’t recognise that picture Sam.

I hate the Monks road climb and go the other way, (blackshaw farm on the fp.)

sambob
    Free Member

GCSE’s 🙁 3 down, 10 to go. 12 week summer holiday though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rate My Hill (please) – Monks Road’ is closed to new replies.