• This topic has 24 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hugo.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Rate my first build – with pics
  • tomvet

I have always hankered after a full sus having ridden a hard tail for over ten years and ended up bidding on a 2015 whyte g150 frame on fleabay whilst having a quiet on call weekend at work.

Here she is…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/B2EBkH]unnamed[/url] by Thomas Righton, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/z41Qd4]WP_20151016_16_22_42_Pro[/url] by Thomas Righton, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/AK44HL]WP_20151022_16_55_57_Pro[/url] by Thomas Righton, on Flickr

The spec:
    Tyres – specialized butcher front, slaughter rear
    Wheels – superstar tech 4 with ds25 rims
    Fork – X fusion sweep 160mm
    Crank – old truvativ 2 x crank with a blackspire NW 32 tooth ring on
    Cassette – slx
    Rear Mech – slx
    Bars – blackspire 800mm (will probably cut down a bit)
    Seatpost – superstar
    Stem – superstar
    Grips – superstar
    Seat – charge
    Brakes – deore with 180mm rotors either end

Total cost came in at £1286, what do you think, have I done ok for the monies? Thanks to all who replied to my various posts asking advise ect.

Just need to work out how to ride it properly now, I think I need to lower the stem to get more weight over the front wheel, I just wanted to leave the fork steerer long in case I got it wrong.

Mole
    Free Member

I stopped reading at Here she is..

timmys

Rate my build…

“Superstar”

“She”

= Hard Fail

Sorry 🙁

yossarian
    Free Member

I think you’ve done very well for the money. Very well indeed. No doubt you’ll be scanning the sales and eBay for shiny bits to upgrade what you’ve got but nevertheless it’s a great base.

cokie

Looks great. Prefect for winter. Enjoy!
    If you don’t get on with it for whatever reason let me know 😉

hugo
    Free Member

Ignore the negative ninnies.

I like this kind of bike. Put together with a budget in mind, but still performs incredibly well.

matt_outandabout

That looks rather nice…..

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I hate Whytes.

But that looks rather nice, and looks like you got a decent build for the money – nice one!

tomvet

Thanks been very pleased with it on the few rides I have done, I am keeping my hard tail for all day jaunts and local rides, this is built with trips to Wales/Scotland and the odd uplift day in mind. A race face single ring crank is next on the menu and possibly a dropper further own the line.

Main impression so far is how much extra grip you get when climbing I have cleaned a climb in the wet that I normally only manage in the dry on the hardtail.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

If it was mine….

I’d lower the bars, as you suggest
    are you tubeless?
    I’d fit a dropper
    and maybe consider an expander sprocket, depending on the trails you ride of course.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Rate my build…
    “Superstar”
    “She”
    = Hard Fail
    Sorry

What’s wrong with you man ? 🙄

The bike looks ace. You’ve got a great build for the money there. Enjoy

bearnecessities

That looks a lot of fun and a reasonable looker, plus anyone that has the balls to paint their house mauve is fine by me.

chakaping
    Free Member

Nice no-nonsense build.

tomvet

The house is rented, the colour has strangely grown on me though! Yes its set up tubeless, I have managed OK without expander so far on the trails around Cleeve Common and Winchcombe but might well end up fitting one for the bigger climbs elsewhere.

Looking forward to the flyup 417 project opening next spring!

woodnut
    Free Member

Good work, sensible spec. Bars about 4 inch too wide for MY taste but other than that, can i have a go? 😀

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

She’s a beauty! 😉
    Look out for a dropper post when you upgrade.

superstu
    Free Member

Looks brilliant mate, lovely bike.

Poopscoop

As said, ignore the negative dross from people who need to get out more perhaps.

Fantastic bike mate, I’m a big Whyte fan too. Your build doesn’t let the frame down either, no nonsense parts, and compliments the frame well.

I’m a little jealous actually!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Nice to see a muddy bike on a new bike thread. Ignore the Scrooges.

tomvet

Thanks, I couldn’t wait to jump on and try it after a couple of weeks amassing parts and building.

I know superstar kit has a bad rep with some but I have had a fair bit of it and been pleased enough with it. A new set of their wheels (with a warranty) was still less than a second hand pair of stans on hope hubs (or similar) that may or may not have been ragged about for x number of miles.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Looks fantastic! Enjoy.

righog
    Free Member

Some bikes just look right for riding yours is one of them 🙂

Nowt wrong with Superstar either, I recently swapped My Hopes for Superstar on My Five ( because of Rim width and availability ) and as yet have failed to notice any real difference.

Only thing I would add is a dropper, If you have never used one your in for another treat when you do.

kayak23

Very nice that. Looks good muddy.

I like the colour of the wall but I’d maybe look into a drain cover around the downpipe there. You have a few leaves building up which could potentially cause drainage issues should they find their way into the grille.

Superstar stuff is Bob on mostly.

spawnofyorkshire

I’ve been very pleased with my 26″ superstar wheels. The hubs have been great value so when the time comes for the jump to 650b I’ll rebuild the hubs onto suitable rims.
    Brand snoberey is always funny on here. I’ve a smattering of superstar and px/on one parts across my bikes and in person no one has ever been sniffy about my builds.
    Oh and nice build 😀

hugo
    Free Member

A stem is a stem, whether it’s Thompson or Superstar. SLX isn’t a compromise. You’ve spent your cash wisely.

Actually stands out as a knowledgeable build to me.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Rate my first build – with pics’ is closed to new replies.