Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Raspberry Pi
  • Cletus

Hi,

Just wondering who has bought one and what they have used it for.

Am thinking about getting one to run XMBC – anyone done this and, if so, how well did it work?

wwaswas

I bought one.

My 15 year old son took it up to his room.

I try not think what he’s using it for.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

XBMC works great on it. Mine is controlled by my Sony remote too. No idea how.

footflaps

I have one on order for a skunk works project at work…..

logical
    Free Member

I pre-ordered one and am still waiting for the email to say I can buy one.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i have one that i got for raspbmc usage. it’s excellent thus far. very happy with it. i control mine with my android phone, keep meaning to check if the HDMI will let my amp controller operate it…

zilog6128

I am embarrassed to say that I got one in the first batch which, having booted it up and played with it for half an hour, has remained unused since. I did actually get it with the intention of installing xmbc but at the time the software wasn’t up to much. I will check out raspbmc at the weekend, sounds like it performs well now!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Ive got one that Im hoping to attach to our PV inverter and upload stats to the interweb….. just waiting for a serial cable from china though.

chojin
    Free Member

Picade looks good, if not I’ll try and knock up some kind of in van entertainment system.

Think I’ll call it iVES. Catchy, no?

Ewan
    Free Member

I bought one.

My 15 year old son took it up to his room.

I try not think what he’s using it for.

I wouldn’t worry about it, ‘web video’ would run very slowly, so at worst he’s learning a valuable life lesson in patience.

😆

chunkypaul
    Free Member

probably trying to create a ‘virtual perfect’ woman – been tried before by teenagers

pdw
    Free Member

We used one to host a Raspberry Pi mirror service. A bit of a circular justification for getting one…

Cougar

I’ll try and knock up some kind of in van entertainment system.

Think I’ll call it iVES. Catchy, no?

iVan.

mogrim

probably trying to create a ‘virtual perfect’ woman – been tried before by teenagers

To be fair, they did a pretty good job of it.

Milkie
    Free Member

I got one of these on Friday, so far I’ve tried RaspBMC, which works well at 1080p30 and it does airplay and can be controlled via an android or iPhone.

Wrote a couple of very basic scripts in Python, which seems easy to use, never used Python before. A lot of learning to do!

Next project is a temperature & humidity sensor/logger, just awaiting components!

Also want to build a carputer with WiFi, GPS, camera, etc, possibly a NAS to replace the Duo, and probably whole bunch of other things.

Another main project I want to do is build a cheap Synchronised Music Player System, like Sonos, but cheap.

molgrips
    Free Member

Next project is a temperature & humidity sensor/logger, just awaiting components!

What have you used to connect the sensors and how is it read in software? This is the kind of thing I’d be most interested in.

Or possibly some way of overlaying a weather map onto the built in satnav in the Prius.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Same as zilog^ – I’ve had mine for about 3 months and all I’ve done is put a Debian distribution on the SD card and booted it up. I’ve since bought a book about it which has some interesting projects to try. Now the nights are dark and getting colder…

danielgroves
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of blog posts about what I’m doing with mine over on my website.

Milkie
    Free Member

Molgrips, I’ll be using a DHT22 humidity and temperature sensor, as per the instructions here.

I also have a DS18B20 temperature sensor on order, more info here.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm.. I was hoping for some kind of generic instrumentation solution.. I guess a series of ADCs would be useful….

poonprice
    Free Member

Raspberry Pi was useless for the first couple of months unless you were a linux nerd 🙂 But its much better now, and using Raspbmc it runs XBMC great.

Generally has many uses if your ok with linux, VPN Server, Router, Downloader for torrents etc..

xiphon
    Free Member

RaspbMC for one (it’s our main media centre, replacing the xbox 360), and now I have a 512MB too (for me to play with)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Raspberry Pi’ is closed to new replies.