Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Rare? Getting rarer.
  • konabunny
    Free Member

no Eurobollocks is going to stop me eating my raw potatoes. stick it up your bollix Jean-Helmut, that’s what I say!!!

Nobby

Rare meat is tasteless.

The more you cook it the more you destroy the taste.

Côte has had steak tartare on its menu for as long as I can remember and very nice it is too.

atlaz
    Free Member

Doesn’t stop the opinion you’re holding being bollocks. There’s no such EU regulation saying you can’t have rare minced beef. As said by several people tartare and filet americain are widely available as are rare beefburgers. That some UK councils have decided that minced beef products should be served well done is bugger all to do with the EU or even the main UK government.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Drac

Surely if a pub/restaurant can prove the quality of their meat and overall hygiene etc, I should be able to order it raw if I want to. Grrr.

Seems if you can prove the origin and a good source for your meat then your fine, a good restaurant can do this. If you can’t then you providing rare burgers isn’t allowed.

http://www.artisanfoodlaw.co.uk/blog/meat/davy’s-put-rare-burgers-back-on-menu

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Oops, nothing like messing with someone’s pub to set off a barrage of Farage. On the flipside – imagine the chavalanche that would occur if Maccy Ds began serving raw patties and thrice-cooked sweet potato fries w/rocket salad?

My local kills everything in boiling oil. All tastes the same and safe as houses.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

If, like Steak Tartare, is is high quality from a single piece of meat, cut up and prepared immediately before serving/cooking then it’s not a problem.

If a restaurant or pub won’t serve you a rare burger it tells you that they cannot do that, and you definitely shouldn’t have it even if they had said they would try to do it rare.

Interesting how more posters here now rightly challenge the “Back-off-Brussels” mob. Although why do we really need human rights… 😉

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Years ago I went to Cranfield University for a product launch and while we were there we went to an excellent pub that had a fishmongers and butcher inside the pub so you could choose your meat or fish of preference and have ot prepared on there hot grill or BBQ in front of you, was one of the best meals Ive had but cannot think what the place was called. Would imagine HS would have something to say about such a setup nowadays, It was the early 90’s.

Drac

Would imagine HS would have something to say about such a setup nowadays, It was the early 90’s.

Would they go mad? Not like the 90’s where they’d be mad for it.

Kryton57

atlaz – Member

Doesn’t stop the opinion you’re holding being bollocks.

Maybe I should have explain myself properly and not jumped to the Euro conclusion before you got out of bed on the wrong side.

I object to people dictating to me that I can’t do things, when they go beyond the realms of decency, lawlessness and common sense. By all means I’ll accept the warnings and scientific facts explaining risk etc to health, but as long as what I’m doing doesn’t affect other’s / other’s choice to be exposed by my own choices, its my call.

Vis a Vis if I want to go an eat raw mince I will, regardless of what europe/westminster/the local council/anyone else says – its my risk. But I can understand that things like smoking next to someone (i don’t smoke) can involuntarily affect thier health – so I wouldn’t do it and agree with that principle – in principle.

Ok?

DenDennis
    Free Member

SO if you demanded a restaurant served you chicken tartare, as thats nothing to do with anyone else, happy to pay for private hospital care?!!

Kryton57

I already do, so yes. And the NHS isn’t free btw, we all pay for it.

But in reality I’m aware ebough of the health risks of doing that and actually I wouldn’t order chicken tartare.

jon1973
    Free Member

No more steak tartare then.

konabunny
    Free Member

Would imagine HS would have something to say about such a setup nowadays,

You’re not allowed to cook meat any more. You have to gnaw on under steamed veggies. Brussels. 🙁

DenDennis
    Free Member

steak tartate is fine, if, as others have already said, ground fresh and served quickly ( the bacteria has less time to propogate )

If restaurants prepared burgers to order from fresh slabs of chuck that would be great, though probably a bit more expensive

And the NHS isn’t free btw, we all pay for it.

great, so why not risk a colon replacement- its split between the rest of us!

Drac

No more steak tartare then.

Yes you can as already mentioned in the thread. You also get a rare burger if you want but has to be from a place that can ‘vouch’ for its meat. If it can’t then they may be stopped by local FSA reps who have a public duty to protect people from dodgy food.

Kryton57

Indeed – the same argument could be had for obesity, alcholism, smoking and other self inflicted issues.

DenDennis
    Free Member

no they’re complex psychological issues apparently and dont count.

gourmet burgers mmm nom nom. I’m psychologically addicted to thems.

I did have a pork burger cooked by my good self last night, lovely.
    not rare though.

perhaps restaurants should just have a waiver form for the discerning customer.

jools182
    Free Member

andyl +1

steak yes, burger, not worth it

food poisoning is bloody awful

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Rare? Getting rarer.’ is closed to new replies.