Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Rare coins you've found in your change…
  • DT78
    Free Member

I appear to have just struck it lucky and found the kew gardens 50p piece in my pocket.

Looking on ebay these seem to be selling at around £75ish. Not bad. Worth selling it now or will it go up in value as more are collected and no longer in circulation?

Anyone else found a rare coin in their change? Did you keep it or flog it?

Cougar

Are they selling for £75 or being advertised at £75? That’s a subtle but very large difference.

DT78
    Free Member

completed listings at around £75. Guardian articles suggests it is worth £500 which is a bit far fetched.

zilog6128

Possibly £500 for mint/uncirculated (i.e. bought at the PO in one of those presentation wallets)

£75 for circulated is a good profit! I guess they’ll go up even more in the future, but by how much, and how long will it take? If I found one I’d probably keep it just cos, unless I was desperate for some dosh.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Found a set of silver Maundy money and a gold sovereign in a box of stuff I bought from a garage sale..

wrightyson
    Free Member

Last time I looked they didn’t seem to fetch that much. We’ve got one of the undated 20p mules which i thought were rarer as they were immediately removed where possible. They regularly fetch 45/50 quid. Weve got a few others such as the beatrix potter set but just hanging on to them for now.

footflaps

I found a Gibraltaran 20p piece a few months back, worth a few £ apparently.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/22e7tJX]Gibraltan 20 pence coin[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ZSL2NR]Gibraltan 20 pence coin[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

zippykona

We had a £2 coin that was just gold coloured not 2 tone. Worth a fortune apparently.
    Followed one on ebay it sold for £1.99.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m stashing the previous version of the £1 coin.

I reckon I’m going to cash in when Brexit collapses the U.K. economy and they’re valued at £234 each.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Not valuable but I found a 1881 5 centime coin in my change 20 or so years back. I’ve had in my pocket pretty much since them . It feels paper thin and so smooth.

joat

Thought I’d spotted a new one pound coin in the dirt, it turned out to be a thruppenny bit, which is actually worth about thruppence.

milky1980
    Free Member

I’ve got a few of the 20p pieces that had no date stamped on them. As in a whole £10 bag! I did have more but I’ve sold those off bit by bit over the years. They were selling for £5-10 but recently the prices have shot up. I’m keeping them though as they will only go up in value.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Metal detector is what you want. Lad at work goes every weekend and finds all sorts of coins. His best being a half something or other made of gold. Fetched 1200 quid.

wrightyson
    Free Member

18 mins to go on the bay
    Is it your one DT

DT78
    Free Member

Nope, not on eBay yet in my pocket still. If you read the description that one is a copy. So obviously worth a bit if people are making copies.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Wife’s elderly aunt ( she was 93 at the time) gave us a bag of coins about 6 years ago, she said they were all worthless so we thought no more of the bag of 50 coins… fast forward to 2 years ago and got chatting to a consultant through work and we got onto the conversation of coins, turned out he was into coin collecting so I mentioned I had a bag of worthless coins from an old aunt. Next day bought them in for him to look at… we sat down and he tipped the bag onto the desk made two piles and said this pile is cr4p and this pile of 20 or so coins are all gold sovereigns!!!!! Oh how he laughed at me !!!! Worth a few grand !!!! They had sat in a cupboard for years !!!! To make matters worse I had let my children help them selves to the coins – smashed open their money boxes with the promise we’d buy them new ones and we found 3 more gold sovereigns!

I bought him a slap up coop lunch that day !

Still haven’t sold them and gold is in the up…

The old aunt died 2 years ago almost a 100 years old – thanks aunty Bella !

True story that !

tjagain

I have a pre revaluation 2 zloty coin. At the time it was worth 0.005pence. Completely unspendable but when I changed money they insisted it was correct to the single zloty

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Rare coins you've found in your change…’ is closed to new replies.