Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Rapid Rise rear mech who still has them?
  • juan
    Free Member

As per title really XT would be perfect but I’ll settle for XTR

AlexSimon

I’ve collected a few for my own personal use 🙂

DickBarton

I have an 06 XT long cage…

slowoldman

Are those the back to front nice idea but impossible to set up ones? If so, I think I have one in the garage which I took off Mrs SOM’s bike after it annoyed me.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

XTR Di2 😉

juan
    Free Member

anyone willing to make me an offer on a new model posted to cheeseland?

D0NK

Are those the back to front nice idea but impossible to set up ones?

they are the backwards exactly the same to setup as any other mech that were one of the best ideas* ever.

Just about to switch back to regular (mine are pretty worn and I’m going 10spd) not looking forward to it.

OP pretty sure merlin and CRC had XT recently, check em out.

*iirc this was actually the original direction of mechs until campag changed it, shimano just reverted back – for a brief, happy while.

juan
    Free Member

Donk check on both wiggle and CRC and nope no rapid rise :'(

bikeneil
    Free Member

Rapid Rise rear mech who still has them?

Bike museums?

matt_outandabout

I still use one. Ace things.

Any got one they want to donate seeing as they are so despised. 😉

honourablegeorge

I have a Hone 9sp derailleur in the shed, hardly used, with shifter, and hub with bolt through axle to match.

If only the shifter was dual control, you’d have every bad Shimano idea in one.

TheSanityAssassin

Using an MTB with a ‘normal’ rear mech bollocksed up waaaay too many gear changes in a recent CX race for me. I’ve had rapid rise on my other MTBs for so long that it takes a great deal of effort and concentration to index correctly when on a bike without one. The quick ‘release’ flick with the forefinger to select an easier gear just makes more sense than ‘forcing’ the chain up the cassette with the thumb does. Well, to me anyway. The amount of times I inadvertantly ended up in a harder gear at the bottom of a steep slope the other night was doing my bloody kipper in!!

honourablegeorge

I had two bikes for a while, with Rapid Rise one one and regular on the other.

Utterly head melting.

garage-dweller

I had an early xtr one it was a thing of genius.

My wife’s bike is setup rapid rise. She rides social / family stuff and I don’t think she has ridden a conventional mech.

D0NK

The quick ‘release’ flick with the forefinger to select an easier gear just makes more sense than ‘forcing’ the chain up the cassette

yep, really nice shifting under power too.
    Just trying to remember how i got into RR, dunno, merlin or someone must have had them cheap or something so took a punt and soon decided wrong way shifting was spot on for me.

If only the shifter was dual control, you’d have every bad Shimano idea in one

considered this on the ride home yesterday, I was on my CX bike thinking how good the ergonomics of drop bar shimano STI/brifters are, everything just works really really well. I can see their thinking behind it DC, just seems that normal bar hand position isn’t right for that sort of stuff. (I’ve only had a quick play with them on someone else’s bike, but seen plenty of people slating them and no-one seems to like them – I’ve got an unused 9spd hydro XT DC brifter if anyone is interested)

timbur
    Free Member

I’ve got a few to sell.
    XTR short cage and prob an XT long cage.
    will check.
    Cheeseland? Devon/Somerset???

juan
    Free Member

timbur what price poste to france????

matt_outandabout

What price to Dunblane of he doesn’t…

br
    Free Member

I had two bikes for a while, with Rapid Rise one one and regular on the other.

Utterly head melting.

+1, and current for me…

timbur
    Free Member

I’ll dig them out and see what they look like first.

MoreCashThanDash

I love mine – anything else just seems wrong

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Just trying to remember how i got into RR, dunno, merlin or someone must have had them cheap or something so took a punt and soon decided wrong way shifting was spot on for me.

Did you have those Shimano flippy shifer/brake combo things at any time?, I think they only ran on RR mechs. Anyhow, that’s how I got into them, really not looking forward to going back to conventional when I eventually move on from 9 speed.

jimw
    Free Member

I know this is not the FS forum, but I have a nearly new (used 10 times tops) M970 XTR SGS RR rear mech.
    I also have a set of M960 brake/shifter levers and the brake callipers in excellent condition

If anybody is interested, let me know. email in profile

binners

Hateful bloody things! I actually cheered when a big pointy rock smashed the bloody thing to pieces!

scotroutes

Nah – the STIs will run either type of mech.

mucker

Rapid rise were designed by intelligent engineers, for use by mechanically sympathetic people and are the informed mtb riders choice.
    Thus.
    High normal or top normal rear derailleurs return the chain to the smallest sprocket on the cassette when no cable tension is applied. This is the regular pattern used on most Shimano mountain, all Shimano road, and all SRAM and Campagnolo derailleurs. In this condition, spring pressure takes care of the easier change to smaller sprockets. In road racing the swiftest gear changes are required on the sprints to the finish line, hence high-normal types, which allow a quick change to a higher gear, remain the preference.

Low normal or rapid rise rear derailleurs return the chain to the largest sprocket on the cassette when no cable tension is applied. While this was once a common design for rear derailleurs, it is relatively uncommon today. In mountain biking and off-road cycling, the most critical gear changes occur on uphill sections, where riders must cope with obstacles and difficult turns while pedaling under heavy load. This derailleur type provides an advantage over high normal derailleurs because gear changes to lower gears occur in the direction of the loaded spring, making these shifts easier during high load pedaling.
    So there.

GregMay
    Free Member

Doesn’t mean they aren’t shit.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Nah – the STIs will run either type of mech.

I meant those mtb Dual Control things. Altho you may well be correct anyhows, just what I was told at an LBS and you can never totally trust what people tell you with possible other motives or poor knowledge themselves, hence my choice wording.

scotroutes

I meant those mtb Dual Control things. [/quote]Aye – that’s what I meant too.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Rapid Rise rear mech who still has them?’ is closed to new replies.