Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • rapid rise mechs less reliable?
  • bonj
    Free Member

my rapid rise mech’s getting a bit shit – often it seems to need two releases to shift up to a larger cog, it’s definitely the mech as i’ve repeated it in the stand and jiggling it by hand gets it to shift.
    Backing off the cable tension can enable it to shift down, but then it sometimes needs two clicks to shift up…

So i was just wondering, does a rapid rise mech have a stronger spring than a normal mech, because of the fact that it needs to move it onto a larger cog as opposed to a smaller one? And therefore, is it more prone to the spring losing strength?
    I’m hoping it’s just sticking, and that taking it completely apart, greasing it and putting it back together will work wonders.
    But was just wondering – if that doesn’t help, or if I **** it up by not being able to put it back together again (more likely), should i replace it with a non-rapid rise version on reliability grounds? (and possibly also range of choice grounds – such as this bling baby…;-))

oh any why can you not get rapid rise mechs in short cage – only medium or long? is this something to do with the differences in how they work that you can get a short cage one?

theflatboy
    Free Member

my xt rapidrise mech is very hit and miss these days as well, often have to do a “two steps up one step down” effort to get a shift.

tomlevell

I’ve only found them better.

new cable and outer
    new jockey wheels
    has it been to the moon and back?

ScotlandTheScared

Are you sure your cables don’t just need lubricating?

In my experience, rapid rise are more reliable in shifting – and my xt and xtr rapid rise mechs never miss a beat. Also, use some GT85 on the mech spring and lubricate the mech pivot points…

Dibbs
    Free Member

In my experience, rapid rise are more reliable in shifting

Me too!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘rapid rise mechs less reliable?’ is closed to new replies.