Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Rapha science.
  • imnotverygood

Just came across this from Cylclist magazine. In the context of wearing a base layer when it is hot.

From Graham Raeburn lead designer, Rapha.

” Sweat accumulating on your skin needs to be removed-by wicking- to help keep you comfortable and regulate body temperature ….. Wicking sweat and therefore taking heat away from the body to keep the wearer cool and dry.”

Now I’m no expert, but I rather thought the purpose of sweat was to cool the body by evaporation, that is why evolution blessed us with it. Doesn’t sell extra expensive base layers , of course.

Solo
    Free Member

Now I’m no expert, but I rather thought the purpose of sweat was to cool the body by evaporation, that is why evolution blessed us with it. Doesn’t sell extra expensive base layers , of course.

Nor me, but you’re pretty much spot on. Evaporation is the change in state. This requires energy, in this case, in the form of heat.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

… I guess the premise is that if it doesn’t ‘wick’ it can’t evaporate. But that’s mostly monkey bollucks.

Junkyard
    Free Member

think once you are soakeed in sweat it cannot evaporate like in high humidity so some merit to the argument

That said i cannot see how another layer keeps you cool just wear ONE wicking top or unzip the thing surely

I almost never wear a base layer in winter so ther eis no chance for summer

wwaswas

Isn’t the point of the base layer etc to present a larger surface area for evaporation than skin alone.

And the wicking is to draw moisture away from the skin as the sweat on the surface of the garment evaporates.

they still cool the body as evaporation takes place and just more effective than skin alone?

convert

I used to wear a string vest style base layer in the summer – but that was mainly because of the theory that in a crash as you were scrubbed along the road one layer of fabric rubbed against the other rather than your skin and you got less friction burns.

I don’t road race now so I find myself sucking tarmac far less frequently than in the past.

anagallis_arvensis

Rapha are a big joke are they not? Set up to find out how much people are willing to spend on stuff. No one actually uses Rapha kit apart from Team Sky surely.

DezB
    Free Member

Gary Kemp does. It’s why he cycles.

oldgit
    Free Member

Rapha are a big joke are they not?

No, they are the law, or so it seems as every bike sold near StAlbans comes with a Rapha jersey and reflectors.

The base layer in summer is a bit of a conundrum. When it’s hot a single good quality technical jersey does the job. When I’ve tried a technical vest under a jersey in the heat I get damp. The science of having a wicking jersey under a wicking jersey needs explaining properly to me.
    The time I use a summer vest most is in the late evening when I know the temp might drop. Or on long off roads when the temp can be variable, but as a rule an extra layer of any kind is mainly used to add warmth.

matt_bl
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member

Rapha are a big joke are they not? Set up to find out how much people are willing to spend on stuff. No one actually uses Rapha kit apart from Team Sky surely.

I’m guessing you weren’t being serious but in 2011 Rapha’s turnover was in the region of £13million. So I guess some people like it.

You are not obliged to.

Matt

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

… I guess the premise is that if it doesn’t ‘wick’ it can’t evaporate. But that’s mostly monkey bollucks.

Yup, but a bead of sweat will take a while to evaporate as the enegry input is confined to a small area of skin, and the evaporation is over a similarly small area. ‘wick’ it into a bt of cloth and it’ll go really quickly.

What evaporates quicker, 2l of water in a bucket or 2l of water soaked into your laundry when you hang it out?

DezB
    Free Member

in 2011 Rapha’s turnover was in the region of £13million

Crikey, 13 shirts sold 🙂

iamsporticus
    Free Member

I am no fan of Rapha (although i do have some of their kit) but I would agree with the base layer in summer thing

I usually/always ride with a merino under my jersey
    Even in 40 degree heat on a HC climb last month

IanMunro
    Free Member

No, they are the law, or so it seems as every bike sold near StAlbans comes with a Rapha jersey and reflectors.

😀 Living just outside the place I can confirm from the stream of cyclists each Sunday morning this is 100% fact.

oldgit
    Free Member

Yup, but a bead of sweat will take a while to evaporate as the enegry input is confined to a small area of skin, and the evaporation is over a similarly small area. ‘wick’ it into a bt of cloth and it’ll go really quickly.

I suppose it depends on what sort of jersey you’re wearing? A good skin tight top should do the job on it’s own.
    I used to see a lot of pros sporting vests, but the recent tops are almost see through.

avdave2

I often wear a base layer in summer but I don’t wear anything over it. If I’m carrying anything on my back then there doesn’t seem any advantage to wearing a cycling jersey with pockets. They’re also often easy to find cheap.

oldgit
    Free Member

Living just outside the place I can confirm from the stream of cyclists each Sunday morning this is 100% fact

I ride out to Redbourn most weeks, it’s the outermost point on a little 100km I do on a regular basis, I stop at the Hub in winter. You near there?
    I got seriously miffed one Sunday every group that came the other way from Redbourn to Studham had someone wearing Rapha, then a small group let the side down.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Nah. Been past the hub a few times. But I’m north of St Albans, just outside Wheathampstead. Judging by the tops, Team Sky seems to do a lot of training round here too 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Rapha science.’ is closed to new replies.