Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 221 total)
  • Rapha Festive 500 – Are you in?
  • richpips
    Free Member

Rather looking forward to tomorrow. A bit of wind, but no driving rain (unlike last year), at least for tomorrow. 😉

Who else is having a go?

crazy-legs

It’s pouring with rain here. 🙁
    Still windy too. I’m considering a 100km ride NE then getting the train home. 😉 With that tailwind it should only take 3hrs!

Good luck to you and Minipips!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

I’m in.
    Hoping to have it done in 3 days.

No doubt someone will smash it all in a day like last year!

mashiehood
    Free Member

Going to try……

warton
    Free Member

haven’t been on a bike in three weeks, and the christmas spirit has well and truly got me, so no, I’m out!

richpips
    Free Member

Best of luck to all for tomorrow, especially if you live up North or on the West coast.

If you go for the train option James, you know you’ll get loads from someone. 😉

DT78
    Free Member

I’m in. With this weather looks like it might have to be fire road miles hiding from the worst of the mud and wind…

convert

I’m in but don’t see any action for the first two days so very much on the back foot on the 26th.

Weather looking ok for the most part once this ‘orrible lot passes.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Wish I could but smashed my smart phone when my bike slid from underneath me on the ice last week and my bike’s knackered. Rode over 750kms last year 🙁

MTB-Idle
    Free Member
    simonbowns
    Free Member

Yep, 52km commute this morning. Working much of the week/weekend, so it’s longer commutes rather than big day rides for me.

twinklydave

Yep, but just the metric version this year 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

Well todays riding is out of the window as my roof has a hole in it that needs fixing…..grrr…and wife isn’t impressed with my suggestion to go for a ride on xmas day either

mrmo
    Free Member

i’m in, but away for the 3 of the first 4 days, If I get it, I get 1000miles for the month and 9000 for the year, lots of targets to aim for ….

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m in, completed 36ks on the TCX this morning, shall mostly be doing this off-road so I’m seeking out fire trails/roads and flattish Bridleways around Harrogate then home in Hampshire.

I love this event.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m in, but I’ve just sold my road bike and the bb on my CX is shagged

crazy-legs

Just got back from the first ride. An entertaining 53 miles round the lanes of Kent.

Trees down, roads flooded, saw some idiot attempting to 3-point turn his McLaren MP4 in a singletrack road after deciding not to drive through the 40ft section of flooded road in front of him. What kind of dickhead takes a £150,000 supercar out in the aftermath of weather like we’ve had?! Roads were filthy; wet, full of leaves and windblown branches, gravel & mud washed onto them. Was glad I was on the CX.

Still, 17% done already, not a bad start.

richpips
    Free Member

Minipips and I made a good start today.

souldrummer
    Free Member

Managed nearly 50 miles today, but practically every road we tried was either flooded or blocked with fallen trees. I have never ridden through so much water in all my life. At one point it was almost up to the wheel axles!! Trying to get back into Guildford wasn’t helped by half the traffic lights being out and crazy Christmas traffic!!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

A good start, but not quite a long as planned.
    Made it up to 226km, but both rear lights failed which was more than a tad annoying!! I had another 45km or so left but without a rear light and pitch black I had to get a lift 🙁

richpips
    Free Member

@mtbmatt good effort, that must put you near the top of the leader board. 🙂

mtbmatt
    Free Member

17th at the moment, but USA riders still to post. Not bad for Northern Hemisphere. It’s always dominated by Australians.

podman
    Free Member

99km done today, which is actually my second longest ride of the year so far- not sure if I’m going to cope with getting to 500km.

Unfortunately today was cut short by an argument with a bush that resulted in a torn Rapha hard shell – was really struggling with flooded roads in Hampshire 🙁

martinxyz
    Free Member

Rode into heavy rain (30 gusting to 45) and tried to do over 50km on a night ride down Loch Ness earlier but I turned back at the 22km mark. Down jacket,waterproof gloves and boots all filled with water. Puddles across the width of the road,no idea where holes are for my carbon fork to fall into,no street lighting and same weather again for tomorrow up here.

adsh
    Free Member

103km starting at 5.30am. Nothing for next couple of days then a big push of I can

richpips
    Free Member

Pleasant weather today.

We’re a third of the way there now.

crazy-legs

Nice going. 30% for me too after this morning’s very pleasant spin round Richmond Park.

mrmo
    Free Member

did 110k yesterday, to and from work then out for another 60k night ride. nothing till friday now.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

300 up. Should have it finished in the next 2 days.
    Then I can think about the 20 + 13 running challenge!

richpips
    Free Member

Then I can think about the 20 + 13 running challenge!

We’ve got 17 left to do. 😉

DT78
    Free Member

Gentle 50 today, feeling the effects of too much port and Stilton. Into a head wind, got drenched and had a sense of humour failure when it started hailing. Still in laws laughed when I turned up with the bike wrapped in soggy tinsel

Dibbs
    Free Member

Only 60k so far, back to work tomorrow (12 hour day followed by two 12 hour nights, 150k total if the weather’s OK), so I need to get my finger out after the weekend.

bob_summers

About 280km so far, hard work with high winds and Basque mountains getting in the way. Crawled round for six hous today, no fun at all.
    Have to pick it up again on Sunday as we’re off to Bordeaux to drink some wine tomorrow 😛

dazh

Just got back from the first ride. An entertaining 53 miles round the lanes of Kent.

Me too. Did a ride around Sevenoaks/Tonbridge yesterday, rode through two floods, waded through another (see below), chickened out of two others as the water was flowing too fast. Also had to climb over a fallen tree which had brought down a power cable cos I couldn’t be arsed with the detour.

19% through the festive 500 but don’t expect to complete it. I’m half tempted to ride back home to Manchester from Kent tomorrow but that would involve not getting drunk which is already out the window 🙂 I’ve got 129km left to make 10,000 for the year so I’ll be happy with that.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not doing this but planning three 100km rides over the coming week in preparation for the puffer, and quite looking forward to them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not doing this but planning three 100km rides over the coming week in preparation for the puffer, and quite looking forward to them.

IanW
    Free Member

Been in 24 hours, so far managed to pop to the Xmas day shop to restock vodka after an unexpected rush.

crazy-legs

Just been looking through some of the stats on Strava, there’s a guy in London who did the whole 500km in one ride starting at about 10pm on Christmas Eve – rode down to Folkestone, all the way along the south coast to Portsmouth then back into London via Guildford. 😯

There’s a couple of people in the Netherlands have done it all in one ride as well by riding from Paris to Rotterdam.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Noice but not really in the spirit of it is it 🙄

mooman
    Free Member

Halfway there after todays little ride. Hiding from the weather tomorrow. But on track to complete it this year.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 221 total)

The topic ‘Rapha Festive 500 – Are you in?’ is closed to new replies.