• This topic has 21 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Rapha Festive 500
  • SamB
    Free Member

Anyone planning on putting in the miles (well, kilometers) this holiday season? I’ve tried (and failed) for two years on the trot, but hoping the weather is a little better this year and I’ll be able to push through. Having said that, cycling up Horsehose Pass as it started snowing last year was pretty cool 8)

I haven’t thought things through much this year, but current plan is Chester –> Clitheroe on Christmas Eve (going up to my sister’s in-laws for Christmas day), then do the return journey on Boxing Day. That should get ~170 miles in the bank, just another 150 to do between the 28th and NYE… Might to London –> Cambridge & return (or maybe Brighton) to bash out another 120 miles, then just an easy 30 miler. All still weather dependent though!

What are your plans?

peteimpreza

Yes , planning to have a go .

Need to get my winter riding mojo going some how .

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yup, CXer only for me, as every year is.. 😀

DT78
    Free Member

Did it easy enough last 2 years. No chance this year. New born, family plans and NYE party stuff means virtually no time to ride 🙁

stevious

Did it last year despite icy roads. Had a few days where it was just laps up & down the low level gritted roads to make the distance but even those days all had something to enjoy about them.

Really glad I did it last year and would encourage anyone to give it ago even if the weather is grim.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’ve signed up for the one on Strava, probably the same thing? I’m thinking a couple of big rides early on (I’m alone Christmas day so there’s a window of opportunity) then mop up a few with some extended commutes.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not a chance. Just about the most difficult time of year to find the time to train as it is!

oldgit
    Free Member

Signed up, but not much chance of doing it. Parents, kids grand kids and all that.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I’m working 5 out of those 7 days (including the big ones), which means a 32 mile round trip commute x5. CX race on one of the days off (28th) will dent my average, and will mean a gentle shorter ride the day before to loosen but save the legs.

So I’ve signed up, shouldnt need too much extra effort, just a few extended homeward commutes or evening rides.

acsevens

I’ve signed up. Working three of the days, which is 105k round trip. If I do the commute every day, then only a mere 185k to find!

oxym0r0n

Signed up – might be doing quite a lot in the dark to fit around wife working and family/childcare!

lunge

Debating it, but not committed as yet. I’m worried I won’t be sober enough to ride for a big part of the season in truth.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I thought this all felt a bit deva vu crazy-legs

joat

On call ’til Monday after Christmas, it’ll be a tall order. Maybe hopeful hundred.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Weather good
    Off work
    Road bike handy
    Fit and unbroken

Might get this one

Teetosugars
    Free Member

*Awaits Rich & Minipis explaining they’ll be doing it in under 24hrs…..*

😆

will
    Free Member

I’ve signed up, as I have done the past few years, but never managed it.

Think this year will be the most likely, so i’ll certainly give it a shot!

tomd
    Free Member

I’m giving it a bash. It will be a bit of struggle but I reckon I’ll have time as long injury allows. I’m quite luck being near the coast so plenty of low level non icey routes so no excuses even on that front.

SamB
    Free Member

Bugger, and I searched before posting and everything! 😳

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve done it the last two years with a mix of on and off-road stuff and a lot of climbing including last year’s incredibly unproductive foray over Cut Gate with ice tyres on the mountain bike and I’ll have a crack at it this year as well. What works for me is doing a couple of big rides, mixed up with some shorter stuff and try to finish it a couple of days early because sod’s law is that it always rains on the final day 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

So a plan is hatching.

Unless I take the bike with me to family (would be in the dog house if I did) I have 2 days free. I was supposed to be working xmas eve, so thats 24hrs. Maybe just maybe I could do a couple of hundred miles… to leave an easy 110mile ride to finish it off….given the furthest I’ve ridden is 110 it might be a bit of a stretch 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Rapha Festive 500’ is closed to new replies.