Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rapha Cycle Clothing…
  • Daffy

…is it worth the money? What makes it so expensive when compared to other brands? Gore stuff seemed expensive enough, but does do exactly what it should when out on a ride; what does the Rapha stuff do that justifies the price?

Genuine question, not trolling.

aP
    Free Member

It’s well made, decent fit and materials, quite stylish and has a large marketing budget which puts lots of support back into cycling.

localhero94
    Free Member

The merino socks are very good, but I couldn’t comment on anything else as they’re the only things I could afford 🙁

jamiep
    Free Member

A month ago I bought one, love it so that I now have another two. Quality, design and performance are excellent. Which is why i think they are worth it. They are at the very limit of what I would spend but I will be buying again, although maybe not for a while while my wallet recovers.

The merino wool woven into polyester in truly great at keeping you warm dry

LMT
    Free Member

Ive got a fair bit of rapha kit nothing at the high end though, well not yet.

The socks are great they work like socks 🙂 merino is great quality for socks.

Ive got one of the urban merino tops which is great for mtb’ing and i have a couple of commerative t’s which are great value and i may have a team sky polo shirt.

Only problem i find is now i have some rapha kit i want more and the more i get the more the OH tells me off, as she knows exactly how much it cost.

Only thing i disagree with is the postage £5 if its under £100 order they should just go free for all orders.

benji
    Free Member

Only thing i disagree with is the postage £5 if its under £100 order they should just go free for all orders.

Didn’t know they did sell anything under £100 or are they selling socks individually? 😆

I couldn’t justify spending that much when endura and polaris keep me covered at reasonable cost and quality, so you can chuck yourself in the scenery without crying.

aP
    Free Member

I find that it copes quite well with proper use, although I’ll obviously never use my raeburn windjacket anywhere it might get scuffed!

crikey
    Free Member

Rapha clothing is an example of Veblen goods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

Some types of luxury goods, such as high-end wines, designer handbags, and luxury cars, are Veblen goods, in that decreasing their prices decreases people’s preference for buying them because they are no longer perceived as exclusive or high-status products.[2] Similarly, a price increase may increase that high status and perception of exclusivity, thereby making the good even more preferable.

There are other companies who sell cycling clothing who are in a similar position, Assos, Castelli, and so on.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s bling, surely that’s enough?

crikey
    Free Member

No.

It’s like Burberry and other ‘high end’ brands, the trick is to maintain that high price, exclusive, not-for-everyone status without it becoming a chavvy badge of conspicuous wealth.

aP
    Free Member

I agree, but actually prefer to buy from places that have customer service. I buy high end things from a variety of places. I could buy cheap, but to be honest I rather buy good quality stuff that lasts the course because in the long time it turns out cheaper than buying cheap crap.
    I am still a pragmatist, believe that if you will.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I have quite a few bits of rapha clothing and yes it is very, very good kit. The first ‘classic’ Hersey I bout about 5 years ago is still in perfect condition and is used around twice a week.

So yeh lasts well, looks good (if you can life with the sky association), fits great and feels good to wear.

The softshell jacket is fantastic.

The £5 postage pisses me off though and stops me buying ‘sundry’ items.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rapha Cycle Clothing…’ is closed to new replies.