Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Ranulph Feinnes
  • Duffer
    Free Member

Went to see him give a talk in Malvern yesterday evening. What an inspiration that chap is.

“I’m going to spend a few minutes talking about the Marathon des Sables; I expect many of you have done it…”

P20

We are off to see him next week in Leeds. Looking forward to it. A mate saw bike Durham who also said he was excellent

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve met him a few times, my Dad used to book him for talks he’s great, I think maybe some of his really ‘downplayed’ tales have been optimised for the audience, in sure they’ve grown over the years but maybe not.

Did he talk about leaving the SAS? It’s a great story.

surfer
    Free Member

He gave a talk at my wifes work a couple of years ago. She said he was incredibly interesting and modest,and very charismatic!
    They had tried to book Bear Gryls but he wanted an eye watering amount of money!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

When I grow up, I want to be Ran Fiennes.

allthepies
    Free Member

Baronet, Eton, Army – thought he’d be in the STW devil incarnate category.

slowoldman

When I grow up, I want to be Ran Fiennes.

Silly boy, you can’t do both.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Distantly related to him, never met him though.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

He’s written a couple of cracking novels as well . I really enjoyed The Sett by him .

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Silly boy, you can’t do both.

😆

pondo

Ooo, wish I’d known about that! I bet he has a story or two. 🙂

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I couldnt put The Sett down, cracking read.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Harder than a very hard thing too. I love it when I hear prisoners rabbit on about how ‘hard’ they are cos they can fight & think, ‘whatever’.

mugsys_m8

Interesting. We saw him at Kendal film festival a fair few years ago…and There was almost a bit of heckling.I must admit I am somewhat biased after his attack on Roland Huntford due to his criticism of Scott and hero worship of Shackleton. I am a Shackleton man after surviving the southern ocean in a floating skip rather than a Scott man a.d can’t stand many people who defend Scott. Still I will give Fiennes this, he is a dammed sight more real than that Bear Grylls idiot.

Duffer
    Free Member

[Quote] Ooo, wish I’d known about that! [/quote]

Still a few dates left if you’re interested; Linky McLinkface.

theotherjonv

just read his wikipedia entry
    😯

pondo

… can’t stand many people who defend Scott.

Well, you know – you weren’t there.

Still a few dates left if you’re interested

Chapeau, sir – thank you! 🙂

spacemonkey

UKIP supporter. WTF?

TheDTs
    Free Member

Also, seen him do a talk / slide show for a charity event in Bristol. Brilliant fellow, just a brief summary of his adventures was thoroughly entertaining.
    We thought that his comedy timing and dead-pan delivery was hilarious.

wilburt
    Free Member

I think he claims to be a decendant of Roger Mortimer.
    His life and relationship with Queen Isabella is one of the best historical stories imaginable and if you like that sort of thing I would encourage you to search out a book on the subject.

budgierider67

Agree about his novels. The Sett and The Feathermen are excellent.

13thfloormonk

Loved him in ‘Hail Caesar’

crazy-legs

He’s an excellent speaker, very deadpan. Had the entire auditorium in stitches at a talk I went to a few years ago but it was obvious that he’d worked on it, he had the delivery and the lines perfect.

Fascinating character.

Duffer
    Free Member

UKIP supporter. WTF?

No one is perfect. The £18+ million he’s raised for various charities makes the UKIP thing forgivable.

mugsys_m8

Military style leaderhsip on expeditions: It’s my way or you leave’

Not everyones cup of tea….

maccruiskeen

Baronet, Eton, Army – thought he’d be in the STW devil incarnate category.

We’ve had plenty of time to get used to CFH 🙂

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Is there another way to lead ?

convert

Is there another way to lead ?

I think as long as the leader has the confidence to ensure his ego allows him to consult at their choosing you are probably right in that sort of life and death environment. It’s no place for mother’s meetings and bitching from the ranks.

Duffer
    Free Member

There is a time and a place for that kind of leadership. When there are lives at risk is exactly the right time and place, in my opinion.

scotroutes

Captain Scott.
    Captain Sir John Franklin.

Fine military leaders.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Duffer – Member

There is a time and a place for that kind of leadership. When there are lives at risk is exactly the right time and place, in my opinion.
    I give you: one man takes the authority for the decisions. One man’s reputation lives or dies by the result.

globalti
    Free Member

That’s funny, my mum who has been mountaineering and leading Ramblers’ walks all her life saw him recently and thought him arrogant and conceited. She said he was screening some pics or a video and somebody allowed so light to enter through the blackout curtain and Fiennes shouted: “I told you to shut those bloody curtains!”

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

That’s funny, my mum who has been mountaineering and leading Ramblers’ walks all her life saw him recently and thought him arrogant and conceited.

Well you don’t get anywhere these days by being a fanny.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Ramblers don’t get me started on them. I had a debate with them this morning about bells on my bike. They are the devil incarnate!

Gary_C

He’s written a couple of cracking novels as well . I really enjoyed The Sett by him .

The Sett… I was mates at secondary school with one of the main, err, ‘characters’ who features in the book. 😕

natrix
    Free Member

thought him arrogant and conceited

That’s my view of him as well. IIRC many years ago he was caught drink driving, but hired himself a fancy lawyer and avoided a ban because of all his ‘charity’ work.

He didn’t improve his driving though and later fell asleep at the wheel (his fault because he hadn’t slept after a 42 mile marathon), causing an accident leaving one chap in a coma for 17 days with collapsed lungs, broken collar bone, broken ribs, a broken wrist and a shattered left knee and right pelvis. Yet again he managed to keep his licenese, CPS said he should not be judged like ‘a normal human being’……………….. 👿

MrSparkle

We went to see him last night in Preston. It was a really entertaining evening. He told some great yarns and was very funny with it. If you get chance to see his tour then go.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Ranulph Feinnes’ is closed to new replies.