Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Rantette: Extra UK / Novatec hubs
  • andyl46
    Free Member

Less than useful interaction with Extra Uk while trying to source a spare part today.

“Are you guys the Novatec hub distributor?”

“Yes”

“I need a QR hub adapter for a D811 front hub, I have the 15mm version on my wheels and I want the QR one so I can swap between bikes”

“we don’t have those in stock”

“Can you let me know where in the UK stocks Novatec?”

“No one, just us”

“Ok, have you a part number I’ll contact Novatec international”

“No we don’t have the part number as we dont have them in stock. Any QR skewer will do though”

“It’s not the skewer, its the end caps, the adapters”

“Ahh, we dont have those either”

“Can you order them in”

“We don’t stock those”

“Have you any contact details for anywhere I can get these end caps? Any contact for Novatec at all?”

“No. Go back to where you bought the wheels from, see if they can help.”

I hung up, no point wasting any more time. Utterly useless and unhelpful. How do they distribute anything with customer service like that!

Anyway, has anyone any end caps they don’t need? It is for the D811 front hub, I’d heard superstar hubs were the same, but their adapters don’t fit, so I may machine down some Hope versions to fit.

Oh, or does anyone know where I might be able to buy Novatec spare parts?

Thanks.

tomhoward

/\ Why distis don’t deal with end users/have dealer networks.

andyl46
    Free Member

If they had a dealer, I’d have used them. They don’t, so I’m stuck!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Did you buy the hub via official channels or fleebay ? Fwiw alot of the crcs hubs are novatecs in skirts. Nc17 stuff in particular.

tomhoward

Any LBS that stocks any of their brands is a dealer/has an account so can get one of the other brands, even if the lbs themselves dont normally stock it. Look for dealers selling Intense, Cane Creek, Time, Fizik, Crank bros and dozens of others. There must be one near by selling at least one of their brands? (check their site for a full list of products…)

Failing that, ring round asking if the have an account with Extra.

trail_rat
    Free Member

If extra has never distributed that particular hub into the uk then they wouldnt likely have stock of the right cups.

Even if the hub came on a full build bike/wheel that stilll doesnt mean it comes via extra.

Extra( and most other distys) will only usually support what came into the uk via their doors

andyrm
    Free Member

Superstar Switch are rebranded Novatec.

You can get the adapters from there for about a fiver.

🙂

legend
    Free Member

Ahem

I’d heard superstar hubs were the same, but their adapters don’t fit, so I may machine down some Hope versions to fit.

andyl46
    Free Member

They came on some chinese wheels, and grand, maybe they didn’t stock them personally but a pointer in the right direction to get a part from a brand they stock would have been nice! Lesson learned.

mtbfix

Still sounds as though you feel that Extra owe you a debt of some sort. Novatec are, to all intents and purposes, an OEM manufacturer and Extra distribute a very small range of their goods. Did you contact the seller of the Chinese wheels you bought?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They came on some chinese wheels, and grand, maybe they didn’t stock them personally but a pointer in the right direction to get a part from a brand they stock would have been nice! Lesson learned.

Errr, they did

“No. Go back to where you bought the wheels from, see if they can help.”

Hardly their fault they don’t stock spare parts for something they don’t import.

On the other hand, I’ve a QR Novatech hub (the superlight disk XCF1 or whatever it’s branded as ) and need some 15mm addapters, what size are they?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

try Mark Pollard at Spokesman Wheels:

http://www.spokesmanwheels.co.uk/index.html
    mpollard60 [at] btinternet [dot] com

He operates through ebay, but cheaper to deal direct.

I bought some Novatec hubs off him a while back and he was really helpful.

br
    Free Member

If they had a dealer, I’d have used them. They don’t, so I’m stuck!

Whenever anyone posts about buying any other hub than Hope/CK/Shimano/DT, ^

andyl46
    Free Member

Would like to say a big thank you to Neil from superstar who took the time out to email me personally and point out the extra bits I need to make the superstar converters work. Nice touch, much appreciated. Thanks to all for their contributions.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Hmm this is interesting I’m currently been using the qr version of this hub and been contemplating a fork change but some of the choices I’ve looked at have been 15mm and I’ve been wondering what work would be involved in the change.

andyl46
    Free Member

Brother will, the superstar hub spares do work, if you get the right ones!

bigjim

Hardly their fault they don’t stock spare parts for something they don’t import.

this

billyboy
    Free Member

A lot of sad stories begin with the words, ” I bought this load of crap on the internet and………..”

orangeboy
    Free Member

Even if they did stock the part you need I doubt they would sell it to you direct anyway.
    Extra are not a shop

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Rantette: Extra UK / Novatec hubs’ is closed to new replies.