Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Rant: Why do I always ride straight out of bed?
  • hora
    Free Member

No I dont mean I keep my bike in bed and clipped in ready to go – just about though. I also dont mean I me and the missus ride in bed on bikes. I mean wake up and within 5mins I’m dressed and groggily cycling down the road. How the **** do I do it? As a kid that would have been fun and easy but I treat it like some sort of sado-masochistic challenge? I actually check my watch as I clip in FFS. Always half falling off, hungry and knackered.

Idiot boy. Anyone else?????

jimthesaint

I think your a weird sort of self harmer. It only takes 10mins to get a cup of coffee and a bowl of cereal down you and would eliminate the falling off, hungry and knackered scenario.

ononeorange

I’m with you. Although for me it’s maximising staying-in-bed time. Saturday morning 7am ride with mates, out of bed and onto bike – never more than 10 minutes. I’ve found i actually weirdly quite like being woken up by a blast of freezing air (I live up a hill).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yep, but that 10 minutes for a bowl of cereal and a drink always takes about 3 hours by the time youve taken your time over it. much better to get out before youve got time to argue against the idea!

aleigh
    Free Member

Hora – you’re unique 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

couldn’t you eat a flapjack or something on the go?

hora
    Free Member

Ah aleigh, ma belle dame…comment allez-vous ? 8)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Same reason I run the car past 0 miles to go and see how late I can check in for flights.

hora
    Free Member

WCA this week I ran the tank down to within 0.5lts 8)

and see how late I can check in for flights.

Eeeee reminds me of a story back in 2003 when we almost missed our flight home from Geneva. A disgruntled worker for a Morzine-based riding company put sugar in the fuel tank of our minibus which led to it spluttering and breaking down just after the bend of the underground tunnel in Geneva. After convincing the local Police to take us to the airport (threw everything into the back of one of their vans and raced under blues n twos)….

Got to the check in desk (closed). One of the cops (miffed) went and talked to someone from Easyjet and hey presto we were on that flight home! 🙂

Anyway..

EDIT: Note to self, must work on my grammar

aleigh
    Free Member

Très bien, merci et toi ? 😉

hora
    Free Member

Fatigué, alors vous avez marché dans la salle

aleigh
    Free Member

Que? 😆

hora
    Free Member

pk-ripper
    Free Member

hora, just set the alarm 10 minutes earlier and wake up properly.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

It takes me an hour! Water closet, wash, shave, dress, breakfast, make sandwiches, brush teeth… 50 minutes if I hurry 🙂

aleigh
    Free Member

lol 😆

hora
    Free Member

hora, just set the alarm 10 minutes earlier and wake up properly.

You don’t think Ive tried that? 😆

SFB, you big metrosexual

grumm
    Free Member

Nah I always spend at least half an hour faffing

bigsi
    Free Member

I didn’t realise that SFB is an American, Water Closet FFS 😉

trailmonkey

Not the first time I’ve heard the name SFB and the word closet used in the same sentence. 😉

ourmaninthenorth

Hora – you must be unique amongst mountain bikers. Other than you, I’ve yet to meet one who doesn’t faff for at least an hour after having got ready before we’re off on a ride. There are tyres to check, shocks to pump up, brakes to fettle.

Rather than ranting at yourself, be porud that you’re maximising both sleeping and riding, and not wasting time on the usual MTBer nonsense!

pk-ripper
    Free Member

I honestly don’t know how you do it though Mark? I get up, shower, breakfast, dress, immaculate quiff perfection, and that’s 45 minutes if I hurry.

I can’t physically leave the house within half-an-hour in the mornings, it’s just not hygienic.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I do pretty much the same. All my lunch and other stuff is ready on the side, I get up, get dressed, take quick swig of grapefruit juice to wake me up, sling my stuff in the panniers and ride off. But then I leave at 06.15 in the morning and that’s early enough thanks.
    I’m awake by the time I get to work, especially when it’s -5 outside!
    I do a 10 hour day and eat brekkie at about 8am whilst working.

Keva
    Free Member

I couldn’t possibly ride on an empty stomach, run yes, bike no. If I’m going to do an hours 12mile xc ride into work it takes me 50mins to get up, eat, sort out what I’m wearing to ride in, pack work clothes and shower kit into rucksack etc etc…

But there again when it’s -2 outside I’m really cosy on my bike. When I arrive into work and have a hot toasty shower, put my clean clothes on and I’m sorted for the rest of the day.

samuri
    Free Member

Ten minutes is a bit sharp for a weekend ride but yeah, within 30 minutes of getting up I’m happy to be out on my bike. When I used to do very early morning rides before work (get up at 5am), I would put my bike in the kitchen before I went to bed with my kit hanging over it, I’d be out within 5 minutes of getting out of bed.

GW
    Free Member

when I lived in the city and used to commute to work I always got up at the last possible moment, chucked on some clothes brushed my teeth and straight out on the bike, usually took a BMX tho but even if it was an MTB I wouldn’t be putting on cycling gear or clipping in.
    that’s around the same time I first started DHing and my mates used to come round for me on a Sunday morning, turf me out my bed, chuck me and my bike in the back of the van and I’d wake up again an hour or so later at the top of the hill ready to do my first run still pissed from the night before.
    I miss being able to do your own uplifts 😥

got kids to look after now so I get up at least 15mins before I need to leave now

hora
    Free Member

I honestly don’t know how you do it though Mark? I get up, shower, breakfast, dress, immaculate quiff perfection, and that’s 45 minutes if I hurry.

quiff? If only I had one of those 😥

ourmanupnorth. I took faff at the trailhead!

robdob
    Free Member

Yeah, I can vouch for peterpoddys organisation. I’ve stayed at his house and witnessed it.

I hope one day to be able to prepare something the night before to eat the next day!!

robdob
    Free Member

Quiff groomage can be very time consuming. 🙂

Daveb575
    Free Member

I’m so sad I freeze a weeks worth of sandwiches at the weekend to save time in the mornings. Still takes me about 20 mins though despite being follicly challenged!

hora
    Free Member

Daveb575, when we were kids my mates Mum used to cook full dinners, serve them onto plates, wrap then freeze them in the deep freezer for the week. Then every night she stuck the lot in the microwave.

AndyP
    Free Member

all the time. Best time to ride. Usually 5 mins from bed to out of the door.

I did 2 hours on the turbo at 04:00 today. Lovely. followed up by lots of coffee and a huge breakfast.

Daveb575
    Free Member

hora – don’t they have a name for that nowadays!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Rant: Why do I always ride straight out of bed?’ is closed to new replies.