Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Rant: What is it with bidding on ebay?
  • dooge
    Free Member

I agree with Coffeeking in that its pointless putting in an early bid. All it does is encourage others to put in early bids, which is great for the seller but not the buyer. I usually make a note of the auction time, and if Im not doing anything special log on with ten mins to go and refresh it. I dont normally bid til about 40 seconds left, then I put in another slightly higher bid to get past the other bidder/s who think putting in another quid is going to get them past me. For example, an item is at £5.00, I come in with £7.01, then re-bid at 20 seconds with £8.51. I get the item for the price I wanted often, unless of course it is so busy it does go for a stupid price. I dont use software or any websites, I think thats a bit unfair but timing is the way to do it. I also find putting in weird amounts helps, like adding on a penny or 20p as you could very well win it by that.

IA

The rational strategy to win on ebay is to bid your maximum as early as possible. As if someone else bids the same, the earlier bid gets it.

However this assumes everyone else is rational – they're not, some people will wait and see how others value the item, and up their bid. So bid once, your maximum, near the end.

deft
    Free Member

You'll feel better about yourself when you see people get into such a bidding frenzy they end up paying more for a second hand item than it would cost to buy new

You'll also feel better about yourself when you bid on an item and only one other person is bidding on it, so you're effectively costing that person £X

See, think positive 🙂

fivespot
    Free Member

Seeing as there's plenty of interest in ebay here. Just a warning to people thinking of selling on there. Last week I sold my SX Trail frame for £495 on ebay. Very pleased as it was the BUY-IT-NOW price. However, after totting up the charges…….Advert £3…….Paypal fee for £495=£17…..THEN ebays Final Value Fee £40 =Total £60 to sell the frame.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Girl in office yesterday- bought some Raybans off of ebay- doesnt like them so contacted Paypal and told them they must be fake. They refunded her straight away and told her to keep them or bin them

HOW??!!

My wife was stung for nearly a grand's worth of fraudulent transactions through her Pay Pal account and it took MONTHS to get it refunded. Even now we are still chasing the £100 or so that we "lost" when the refund was applied at a lower exchange rate (the fraud was in $USD) and the £15 or so in overdraft fees that NO ONE is interested in paying. Not very impressed at all and will not be using Ebay or Pay pal again.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I dont use software or any websites, I think thats a bit unfair but timing is the way to do it. I also find putting in weird amounts helps, like adding on a penny or 20p as you could very well win it by that.

you know that you are just doing the exact same thing as a sniping site, just relying on yourself not to mess it up, though? 🙂

EZ Sniper does the business for me.

coffeeking
    Free Member

theflatboy – you want to put your ebay User and pass into a site controlled by people you dont know? Or a piece of software with access to the net and no way of knowing where it goes? Personally I don't! Might as well just ask a stranger on teh street to do it for you, and you wouldnt do that would you?

Fivespot – the fees are pretty immense, but they are stated there for all to see – I sell small stuff on there only.

fivespot
    Free Member

coffeeking……I use ebay quite a lot, and am aware of the fees. I was just warning those that might not be aware. I had the same frame on here and Pinkbike for less but it didn't sell, then put it on ebay at a higher price because of the charges…It Sold and I'm happy.

theflatboy
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member
    theflatboy – you want to put your ebay User and pass into a site controlled by people you dont know? Or a piece of software with access to the net and no way of knowing where it goes? Personally I don't! Might as well just ask a stranger on teh street to do it for you, and you wouldnt do that would you?

ah, but the tradeoff for that security risk is a good as new silver thomson seatpost for just £35. 😀

samuri
    Free Member

Odd that this seems to be a big deal for you.

I didn't realise it was. It clearly is for you and number of others though. You're welcome to bid early or use sniping software, that's fine by me, just makes bidding on ebay all the more easier.

mavisto
    Free Member

I only buy off ebay now as it's become a bit expansive to sell stuff.

If I really want something, I'll wait till about 8 seconds to go before I bid. I'm a sad computer nerd (used to be a programmer) that will sit with 2 windows open, one with the bid ready to be sent and one being refreshed. BUT, like all other auctions, don't bid over your maximum price and don't forget the p&p.

Check out some of the stuff from Europe and the US too. Even with the shipping and exchange rate you can get a bargain.

mavisto
    Free Member

I only buy off ebay now as it's become a bit expansive to sell stuff.

If I really want something, I'll wait till about 8 seconds to go before I bid. I'm a sad computer nerd (used to be a programmer) that will sit with 2 windows open, one with the bid ready to be sent and one being refreshed. BUT, like all other auctions, don't bid over your maximum price and don't forget the p&p.

Check out some of the stuff from Europe and the US too. Even with the shipping and exchange rate you can get a bargain.

I've also used it to find obscure things that I wouldn't have a clue where to find a shop that sold them (rubber feet for an ironing board, don't ask!!!!!).

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Rant: What is it with bidding on ebay?’ is closed to new replies.