Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Rant: Touch/Smart screens in cars
  • Earl
    Free Member

I’m not allowed to eat a apple in a car because its too distracting but am required to go balls deep into the menu system to do the most basic things.

De clutter doesn’t mean hide it in menus – it means get rid of stuff that will make me and others crash.

Grrr…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Eh?

northernmatt

2/10

Also, it’s an apple.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    leffeboy

I think you’re meant to use your fingers
    Hope that helps

garage-dweller

The OP has bought something German I guess.

I just had a rental mk7 golf on holiday. Tweeked the tyre pressures after the warning light came on and three flaming menus (in portugese) just to reset the pressure warning on the dash.

GrahamS

This is why I prefer voice control.

Instead of faffing about with touch screens and menus you can just spend fifteen minutes shouting “PHONE” in increasingly bizarre accents.

scotroutes

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avp9aUkM5g0[/video]

GrahamS

Indeed. Elluvun ya bass! 😀

Earl
    Free Member

I don’t know – all this extra stuff doesn’t ergonomic make sense to me.

btw – if you ever see me dad (or me for that matter) driving towards you trying to turn the volume up – best pull over onto the hard shoulder and let him pass.

andyl
    Free Member

am required to go balls deep into

I think this is where you are going wrong.

Not really sure how you would get into that position based on the location of most touch screens anyway.

Drac

just had a rental mk7 golf on holiday. Tweeked the tyre pressures after the warning light came on and three flaming menus (in portugese) just to reset the pressure warning on the dash.

What I do with mine is pull over somewhere safe before pressing the buttons. Maybe you could try that next time.

Earl
    Free Member

One hand on the wheel, other hand holding the apple… I had to make do.

mrsfry
    Free Member

GrahamS

This is why I prefer voice control.

Don’t you just slap the back of your chauffeurs head with your stick

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You should have bought a BMW, iDrive is simple to use

mikewsmith
    Free Member

About 6 years ago we had a merc hire car on a ski trip, the Danish girl was driving (sober) so we had to run the nav…
    Trying to tell it Deux Alpes after a few was hard. I was spelling it out and then the others would laugh and it would reset 🙁 100km we found the dial that let you select a letter at a time like the old arcade machines… Seemed like progress

connect2

Not just touch screens, even my old Mondeo has up/down buttons for the heater controls with digital bars to show what level they’re at. So instead of a quick and easy turn of a knob to exactly where you like it, you have to peer down and try and count how many of the little bars are in the display

momo

It really depends on the car/system I find, touch screen in my mk6 Golf wasn’t bad, newish focus I had as a hire car last year was terrible though, the screen was too far away and not very responsive so you had to lean across the car to do anything, very distracting.

The best system I’ve used was my B8 Audi A4, wasn’t a touch screen but used a small joystick/scroll wheel by for navigation and the screen was on the edge of your eyeline so didn’t require you to take your attention off the road.

legend
    Free Member

Touchscreens are stupid in a moving environment where you’ve got nothing to rest the base of your hand. Mercedes have done pretty well with the touch pad thing down in the centre console, much easier to use on the move.

OTOH, I have buttons for stuff.

garage-dweller

What I do with mine is pull over somewhere safe before pressing the buttons. Maybe you could try that next time.

I did before I drove off but my point was it was over complicated for a basic function.

In fact Nowhere in my post does it suggest I was driving at the time and I’m a regular poster against in car distractions.

A basic thought about what I’d done… Inflated the tyres so unlikely to have done that while driving along was I? 🙄

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Honestly I just want one of these

I don’t even mind if it just goes up to Ten … but please give me a volume control KNOB

And while we are at it …. the new kitchen I’m putting in…. Mrs wants super duper Neff oven and integrated micro… they look great but blooming hell … 5 different pushes of the touch screen to whack the micro on for 2mins at full power (its the ONLY setting I ever use, for any micro, cooking any thing 🙂 )

Form over function …. Grrr

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m not allowed to eat a apple in a car because its too distracting

Is this a self imposed rule or have I missed a law change.

Drac

No change in the law it’s about being in control of a vehicle.

A basic thought about what I’d done… Inflated the tyres so unlikely to have done that while driving along was I?

Of course you hadn’t inflated your tyres while driving along. I was referring to the use of a simple to use touchscreen, seems you didn’t mean while driving like the OP did which was his point. Yours it seems a different matter.

martinhutch

Is this a self imposed rule or have I missed a law change.

I think the discretion (or intelligence) of the officer involved would have some bearing. Possibly the stroppiness of the driver, too.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/jan/25/ukcrime.martinwainwright

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Rant: Touch/Smart screens in cars’ is closed to new replies.