Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Rant of the day – burning the Guy
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Either brilliant at trolling or very poor at history – I can’t make my mind up on this one – so either a tip of the hat to you sir, or a D- for History.

That’ll be the latter.

Drac

Perhaps. But the point stands that he wasn’t killed for his faith but for his deeds. Unless you are going to tell me that the Government at the time went around chopping up and burning thousands of Catholics just for being Catho

Being Catholic was also seen as treason. The rest I’m sure you do know about, my history is crap but even I know that Catholics had a bit of rough time during the reform.

alexxx
    Free Member

Turns out the historians have found some CCTV footage from ‘back int day’ and you can watch what really append:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/group/p05j1bc9

Show your kid that they’ll be reet back up to speed on who that bloke sat on the bonfire was

johndoh
    Free Member

Being Catholic was also seen as treason. The rest I’m sure you do know about, my history is crap but even I know that Catholics had a bit of rough time during the reform.

Fair enough, I hold my hands up, clearly my knowledge of history of the day is dreadful. I blame it on missing that episode of Horrible Histories.

#everydayisaschoolday

Drac

Fair enough, I hold my hands up, clearly my knowledge of history of the day is dreadful. I blame it on missing that episode of Horrible Histories.

I went to a COE school as my primary school so some teachers took almost glee in telling us what happened to Guy Fawkes and what a bad man he was.

Both Catholics and Protestants had a rough time during the reformation, depending on which monarch was in charge. But even then, the government didn’t go around burning thousands of people just for being catholic or Protestant.

Buy the time of the Gunpowder plot the reformation was long over and England was firmly Protestant. Catholics were persecuted and occasionally executed (mainly the priests) but in the main the persecution was at the level of debarring them from certain offices etc. And this persecution was more due to the failure to observe the beliefs of the Church of England rather than being catholic per se.

It was the removal of this persecution that in part cause the Glorious revolution in 1688.

The thing about the 17th century was that for most of the time people were shit scared of the Pope and his Jesuits minions over throwing the British Monarchy and imposing the Catholic religion. (Think like the Dail Mail and the Muslim menace hiding behind the Burkha, only worse). The Gunpowder plot was just one of these supposed Popish attempts to overthrow the monarchy.

So when Catholics were executed, it was because of a perceived link with this effort to overthrow the monarchy and hence treason, rather than being Catholic. (but it really does get difficult to separate religion from politics).

Most Stuart Monarchs were rather partial to Catholic beliefs anyway. – Divine right of Kings and all that.

Anyway, academics have written vast tomes on this and nobody has yet come up with a definite answer, so I may be wrong.

Drac

Well that’s made it much clearer cheers, I knew it wasn’t thousands but there were many.

dazh

Arsonists in the making

Who isn’t? We all enjoy a good fire, the sparkly sh*t on bonfire night just makes it more fun. I reckon it’s a genetic memory or something from when we were cavemen. If it wasn’t Guy Fawkes there’d be some other daft reason for setting fire to things. An annual mock torture and hanging of an effigy wouldn’t be nearly as much fun.

(this thread is all over the place BTW)

dannyh
    Free Member

genetic memory or something

(this thread is all over the place BTW)

So is your understanding of genetics, so you’re well at home here, then.

This is why irony is one of my favourite things.

dazh

So is your understanding of genetics

I’m not sure this thread can take a tangent into genetic theory, but entertaining your response for a second, are you saying that all behaviour is learnt, rather than inherited?

dannyh
    Free Member

dazh – Member
    So is your understanding of genetics
    I’m not sure this thread could take a tangent into genetic theory, but entertaining your response for a second, are you saying that all behaviour is learnt, rather than inherited?

POSTED 2 SECONDS AGO # REPORT-POST

Nope.

Two things here.

Firstly to think of genetic inheritance as ‘memory’ isn’t ideal as it implies some kind of cognitive element, which it isn’t. Genetics can predispose us to many things, mind.

Secondly (and if I’m being honest, more to the point) I fancied trying to get a bit of a bite…….

This may be more to do with learned behavior, though. 😉

CountZero

to be fair, I think celebrating anyone being burned alive and celebrating people bombing other people is pretty horrific.

It could be argued that celebrating a man being hung up on a cross by having nails hammered through his wrists and ankles is pretty horrific as well…
    Religion and politics do funny things to people.

zokes
    Free Member

HE WASN’T BURNT AT THE STAKE. He was hung, drawn and quartered. I want to know why we are burning an effigy of a Catholic when we should be ritually disembowelling it instead. That’s what really boils my pee!!!

From a factual perspective, I’d say there’s a much greater likelihood of pee being boiled whilst you’re burned at the stake. If you were simply disemboweled, presumably it would just run out all over the floor.

zanelad
    Free Member

They always miss out the bit where your gentleman’s package is sliced off and burnt before your eyes

If it happens to me I hope it’s not done on a cold day.

Don’t think I could stand the laughter. I’d die of shame. No bad thing, possibly.

dannybgoode

Is that a spoonerism?

This is STW – surely it’s a sporkerism

molgrips
    Free Member

It could be argued that celebrating a man being hung up on a cross by having nails hammered through his wrists and ankles is pretty horrific as well…

They don’t celebrate that – they mourn that and celebrate the fact he came back to life afterwards.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/QffTMlzfRog?t=7m57s[/video]

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Rant of the day – burning the Guy’ is closed to new replies.