Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Rannoch windfarm – keep Rannoch wild
  • squirrelking
    Free Member

More nuclear.

Why? Because it’s reliable, managable (from a grid perspective) can be produced where it’s needed, isn’t an eyesore on otherwise “unspoilt” land and creates jobs, lots of jobs, oh so many jobs. It’s also not as expensive as it’s made out to be (special tariffs are more geared to getting investors quicker returns much like wind farms) and is on a rough par with hydro IIRC for investment costs and return times.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s OK once the great Kingdom of greater Scotland is formed they won’t need electric.

footflaps

There isn’t enough Uranium for everyone to go Nuclear, most of the current mines have extracted all the easy stuff. A lot of power stations use decommissioned weapons stuff, which won’t last.

joshvegas
    Free Member

squirrelking – Member
    More nuclear.
    Why? Because it’s reliable, managable (from a grid perspective) can be produced where it’s needed, isn’t an eyesore on otherwise “unspoilt” land and creates jobs, lots of jobs, oh so many jobs. It’s also not as expensive as it’s made out to be (special tariffs are more geared to getting investors quicker returns much like wind farms) and is on a rough par with hydro IIRC for investment costs and return times.
    POSTED 4 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Cheaper? Over its working life or the 250years afterwards when we are still managing the waste at great expense whilst building something else to take its place?!

Neuclear is a terrible idea.

klumpy
    Free Member

Cheaper? Over its working life or the 250years afterwards when we are still managing the waste at great expense whilst building something else to take its place?!

Neuclear is a terrible idea.

Complete rubbish. There are tens of thousands of years worth of nuclear fuels on earth, and brilliantly, probably even more on the moon.

We don’t have a nuclear waste issue even now – we have a massive nuclear fuel surplus, most of that “waste” has about 95% of the original energy in it. (Ignoring the huge amount of overalls, boots, and gloves that the ill informed insist must be treated as nuclear waste because it was once worn inside a nuclear site.) Want rid of that (real) nuclear waste? Build modern reactors. You can call it recycling if you like.

dan1980
    Free Member

Nuclear isn’t a “terrible” idea. Uranium based power just has some significant disadvantages.

Liquid Flouride Thorium reactors are theoretically more efficient, produce less waste materials and are inherently safe due to the properties of the fuel. Whilst there is research going on in the field, the general misinformation and paranoia in society regarding “nuclear” reactors, I think puts governments off pushing forwards with investing.

As for wind farms, there are fewer and fewer unspoilt (in modern times terms at least) parts of this country, and sticking up a job lot of windmills that aren’t up to the level of efficiency that are claimed, interestingly by the companies that have a vested interest in their construction, isn’t the way to go.

joshvegas
    Free Member

So instead of destrying the countryside through windmills we are going to dig it all up instead? Smashing.

Extraction of resources that will become ever more expensive as the easy stuff dries up, long term issues including dealing with ever more expensive buildings as they become older and outdated until eventually the need decommissioned all of which is hugely expensive. My point was claiming its cheap is total nonsense and due to the time its operational we have no way of knowing its true cost.

I personally think we should draw a line. Say this is it, this is all you are getting start being less wasteful and use what we have wisely. Because no matter what we do neuclear, wind, hamsterwheels… Thats where we will end up.

footflaps

I think puts governments off pushing forwards with investing.

More like the massive investment, very long return period and hence having to commit to subsidies / guaranteed min pricing for decades. One huge great bet basically…..

Northwind

mikewsmith – Member

It’s OK once the great Kingdom of greater Scotland is formed they won’t need electric.

LOL, Scotland has an energy surplus- we export 20% of our electricity to England (as does Wales). Not to mention producing over a third of it from renewables.

ninfan
    Free Member

Wind currently providing 0.41% of UK demand, Nuclear 17%, Gas 50%, Coal 20%

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

France 91% Nuclear

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/france/

Right now, their entire countries electricity needs are being met form hydrocarbon free, non carbon emitting sources – thats a shining example to the rest of the developed world!

bigjim

the OP’s website is indeed a bit nutterish, if protestors made the effort to make rational well made websites they would be much more successful.

The pictures of vultures was my favourite part. Protect the vultures of Rannoch moor! I might start a a change.org petition to save them…

Murray

We already have a large stockpile of plutonium at Sellafield. If we burnt it in Prism reactors we’d have all the electricity we need for 100 years. No mining required. Waste returns to the radioactivity of the original ore in about 500 years.

Prism is just one of the possible approaches. Personally, I prefer the liquid salt reactors such as Transatomic but Prism is a better funded, closer to deployable solution. Candu is yet another mature technology.

I would be happy to live next to any of the above. I’ve got family who live next to the Candu in Pickering, Ontario and apart from growing extra heads they’re fine.

Keep wild spaces wild.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Is the Angry Corrie still going?

I used to buy it occasionally when I was up that way, quite a good read.

What kills more raptors…wind turbines or shooting estates?

bigjim

What kills more raptors…wind turbines or shooting estates?

Have you ever seen a living raptor on a shooting estate?

ransos
    Free Member

France 91% Nuclear

No it isn’t. France is heavily reliant on imports and exports with its neighbouring countries (including the UK) in order to balance supply and demand.

ninfan
    Free Member

Erm, Ransos, go and look at the link – France is currently – ie right now as I type this, producing 47GW from Nuclear power, and their domestic demand is sitting at 53.19GW – plus they are producing a shedload of hydro power (10GW) that means they’re currently exporting electricity to UK, Swizerland, Italy and Belgium.

Have you ever seen a living raptor on a shooting estate?

http://www.darlingtonandstocktontimes.co.uk/farming/11111390.Study_finds_that_merlin_thrives_on_grouse_land/

ransos
    Free Member

Erm, Ransos, go and look at the link – France is currently – ie right now as I type this, producing 47GW from Nuclear power, and their domestic demand is sitting at 53.19GW – plus they are producing a shedload of hydro power (10GW) that means they’re currently exporting electricity to UK, Swizerland, Italy and Belgium.

Nothing in the link contradicts what I said: because France’s nuclear can’t easily be turned up or down, they are heavily reliant on imports and exports. To claim they are producing a particular amount on a snapshot basis is daft.

joefm

some one invent fission.
    I like wind farms aesthetically
    There will always be objectors. need to look at the bigger picture sometime because if its not one scheme its another scheme that nimby attitudes get in the way of.

totalshell

for me we need to keep the lights on. there are lots of open spaces that frankly are enhanced by windfarms and others that are not.

they dont kill scores of birds ive not seen a one yet on the moors above rochdale they dont scare the sheep ducks hens cows either( unless the rochdale sheep ducks hens caow asre very good at hiding it) the same miserable grass grows and the sun still rises in the east no sign of the apocalypse..

on bleak industrial moor/ waste ground like we have here.. break a leg build all they want on virgin moorland ..lets leave something for other generations..

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    Or are killed by cats?

Yeah, domestic cats are the Golden Eagle’s main predator. Science fact.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Josh, until you can spell whatever your uninformed ramblings are on about I’ll just be skimming them. FWIW I never mentioned the word ‘cheap’ anywhere, I said ‘cheaper’. Big difference.

Joe, you’re about 80 years too late. 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Rannoch windfarm – keep Rannoch wild’ is closed to new replies.