Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Ranger Path…?
  • theoc
    Free Member

Planning a trip down the ranger path snowdonia next week.. Will it be too much for my Ragley Mmmbop to take..?

higgo
    Free Member

Are you a good rider?

Rorschach
    Free Member

You will certainly die……………one day.

mintimperial

The bike will be fine, but depending on your abilities you might end up carrying it down the really rocky bit (that’s what we ended up doing). Still ace fun though.

purpleyeti
    Free Member

when you planning on riding it? is the voluntary ban still in place?

D0NK

it’ll be a bit bouncy, but I’m sure you’ll be fine, just have a couple of stops to rest your burning calves 😉

highclimber
    Free Member

when you planning on riding it? is the voluntary ban still in place?

you can ride before 10:00am and after 17:00pm between may and sept. I dunno exact dates.

Personally i’d opt for the before 10am as anyone walking should be walking towards you so they’ll (hopefully) see you coming and have enough time to move out of your way. plus the fact the Ranger path is the quieter path!

Mugboo

You’ll be fine (he says have done it on a Mega!). My mates used his Summer Season and loved it 🙂

theoc
    Free Member

I’m used to riding rocky descents as I live in the lakes, just how bad is the rocky section..?

Also what happens if you ride it outside the ban..? I’ll be heading up there some time midweek next week!

Pook

I did it on my rockhopper. Awesome fun.

lowey

Also what happens if you ride it outside the ban

Dont. Just dont ok. Thanks.

zokes
    Free Member

Also what happens if you ride it outside the ban..? I’ll be heading up there some time midweek next week!

It provides yet more ammo to the SNPA to ban mountain biking on Snowdon outright

(it might also mark you out as an inconsiderate ****)

theoc
    Free Member

It’ll be a clearer run the earlier I do it anyway so I’ll be setting off at 7am probably, how long does it take to ascend? Is it all rideable on the ascent?

lowey

Tourist track is say 80% rideable. 2-3 hours depending on fitness and conditions. (from Llanberis).

If your ascending the ranger and going back down it then probably only 40% rideable up (ish).

saxabar
    Free Member

If you’re used to the Lakes you’ll be fine. Enjoy, but please stick to the agreed times.

theoc
    Free Member

I’m starting from Llanberis both riders pretty fit… What time would you suggest starting..? Was thinking 7am?

mintimperial

Was thinking 7am?

Sounds ok if you’re in a small group. When we did it we set off at 6.30, rode up in 2h15, and just got back down to Llanberis for ten. We’re not elite whippets or DH gods by any stretch of the imagination, and we stopped for two punctures and lots of admiring the view. The last bit down Telegraph Valley isn’t covered by the ban, so as long as you get down the main section of the Ranger and turn off right before 10am you’re in the clear.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve never done it but I suspect if you leave at 7am you’ll get to the top just in time for the ban to come into effect for the descent. Depends how much faffing/stopping for pics etc you do too i suppose.

Personally I’d just set off at 5 and take lights in case you need them for the last bit of the descent. Or set off earlier and have a leisurely push up.

saxabar
    Free Member

Yeah, you should be down no bother. I haven’t timed myself but I reckon 90mins up and about 15/20 down to Telegraph Valley (the second stage of the descent that isn’t covered by the voluntary ban). 3 hours is a healthy amount of time to give fit riders, even allowing for photos and vista gazing.

Edit: just Googled walking to the top and it says about three hours so 90mins or leisurely 2hrs should cover it.

grum
    Free Member

90 minutes up? Never heard of anyone doing it that quick.

I just reckon if you do it that way you’re not allowing hardly any time for unforseen mechanicals etc – and what do you do if you’re caught after 10? You’re clearly not going to walk down are you.

donsimon
    Free Member

Also what happens if you ride it outside the ban..?

You get to post the video on Youtube and the wrath of one or two big hitters.

saxabar
    Free Member

Well, I live nearby so have done it a few times and I’m normally down in Llanberis under three hours. 90mins may be a bit optimistic though. Let’s revise to a 6am start!

zokes
    Free Member

We used to get up it with a bit of huffing and puffing in 90 mins – you could easily walk it in that time if you’re fit. I suppose the difference was that we were regulars so didn’t stop to admire the view for too long (it was usually misty anyway!)

And DS: I thought you were marginally better than a primitive troll. Clearly not…

highclimber
    Free Member

90 minutes up? Never heard of anyone doing it that quick.

that is a quick time but doable considering you can power walk up it in just under 1 hr (if you’re fit that is!). I thnk the record is 50 mins!!

The fact you can ride quite a bit of it to begin with will speed things up a little.

highclimber
    Free Member

Double post, sorry

mintimperial

I thnk the record is 50 mins!!

39 mins apparently. And then he had to run back down again! Where’s the fun in that?! Runners are **** mental.

grum
    Free Member

Yeah ok but the record for the entire Cuillin ridge traverse is only 3 and a bit hours!

that is a quick time but doable considering you can power walk up it in just under 1 hr

I would assume carrying/pushing a 30lb bike and camelbak etc would slow most people down a fair bit. I’ve pushed/ridden a fair few similar sized hills but not Snowdon though so perhaps I should STFU. 🙂

I still reckon 90 mins is ambitious for the vast majority of people with a bike – stops for photos can make a big difference too though. I like to take pics and I’m unfit so it takes me ages to do anything.

highclimber
    Free Member

39 mins apparently. And then he had to run back down again! Where’s the fun in that?! Runners are **** mental.

😯 Masochistic, not mental.

Trampus
    Free Member

I’ve ridden it several times, both before and after the ban ‘zone’. I much prefer the after 17.00 descent, especially on a clear day. You can sit there and bide your time waiting for the ‘rush hour’ traffic to recede. Most walkers have started down by this time. Also the voluntary agreement only concerns riding. You can push up whenever you want to, then sit and (weather permitting) enjoy the view!

chakaping
    Free Member

I did the Llanberis ascent in 1h 38mins, with a 30lb bike which I pushed much of the way.

Fastest time on Strava is 55mins.

theoc
    Free Member

Cheers for the help guys.. I will be doing the ride at 6.30am on Wednesday!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Ranger Path…?’ is closed to new replies.