• This topic has 123 replies, 68 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by LHS.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)
  • Range Rover Sport HSE
  • lcj

If you are going to buy one then, as with any Land Rover pay particular attention to the electrics. Indicators were not fitted as standard to these vehicles, and most purchasers chose not to have them.

Curiously though, they all feature the double flashing parking indicators (used to be known as hazard lights) which work flawlessly. The added bonus is that all RR Sport models can park wherever they want when the parking indicators are switched on – it was a deal negotiated by Land Rover with the previous government.

project
    Free Member

Been on a landrover experience day and drove a brand new range rover on and off road, £89,000 v8 did 12 to the gallon when raced, low head room,poor seats, bit like a big soft settee, powerful, thirsty, fast,drives like a transit for size,well over priced,small boot for the sixe of the thing,lots of electricals to go wrong,brakes when they bit sounded like bags of grit for pads,very expensive tyres, and wheels.

Id buy a transit more adaptable, and you dont look like a pimp or prostitute.

sweaman2
    Free Member

For once I’ll quote Top Gear who.. when recently reviewing the new Range Rover sport said of the old one that it had two main problems.
    1) As above it was based on the Discovery so it wasn’t really a Range Rover.
    2) It wasn’t very sporty.

I don’t know why but that always makes me smile.

johndoh
    Free Member

Indicators were not fitted as standard to these vehicles, and most purchasers chose not to have them.

No, really, you crack me up.

craigxxl
    Free Member

One of my clients has a 3.0 diesel HSE, 2 years old. Going through the last years accounts I found over £15k of invoices for new gearbox (inc 50% goodwill), top end rebuild, injectors and a service.
    I was looking at a RR or Disco now think the XC90 is a much better prospect.

rogg
    Free Member

I’m struggling to judge what the general consensus might be… 😀

johndoh
    Free Member

2 years old and he only got 50% goodwill? Surely they have a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty?

craigxxl
    Free Member

A bargain. Buy one and keep lots of mechanics and fuel stations in business.

matt_outandabout

You should move to Dunblane – half the population seem to drive Evoque’s, RR sports or XC90’s….

Lifer
    Free Member

[OLD JOKE]Round here they’re know as the Range Rover Clitoris…

…because every ****’s got one[/OLD JOKE}

taka
    Free Member

i smell jealousy 😉

khani
    Free Member

I smell a shit car…

bigjim

i smell jealousy

I dunno, if I was actually jealous of having equivalent money to spend on a car, I would at least spend it on something that isn’t the 4-wheel equivalent of tattooing “tw*t” on my forehead. Hideous cars for hideous people.

[OLD JOKE]Round here they’re know as the Range Rover Clitoris…

…because every ****’s got one[/OLD JOKE}

I thought that was for the new litle jobby that looks like it’s been dropped on its roof.

lcj

johndoh – Member

Indicators were not fitted as standard to these vehicles, and most purchasers chose not to have them.

No, really, you crack me up.

BMW owner?

drlex
    Free Member

dashed‘s post echos my thoughts, but then I also have an 8 & 1/2 y.o. D3. The forum rrsport.co.uk is a useful resource to see common problems.. As others have said, a Volvo, BMW or Audi offer sportier soft-roaders if you don’t need off-road capability. For space & grunt without a big price-tag, I’d be looking at a VW Toureg.

bruk

Having just gone through this with my wife. Lots of snow last year means we have to get a 4×4 (never mind it was exceptional ). Do have to forgive her a bit as she did have to sleep in her office whilst heavily pregnant because she couldn’t get home because of the snow.

Looked at an Evoque 1st but eventually persuaded her it was too small inside, esp in the boot. Looked at Freelanders ( too agricultural apparently). The boot in the Sport isn’t huge either and fortunately she didn’t like the image.

Went for an X5 (7 seat version) which is bloody brilliant. Very comfy, goes like stink if you boot it but not too wallowy in corners. Got a great deal on winter tyres/wheels from the dealer so should be ok this year if it does snow.

Wouldn’t go for a RRS but do like the look of the new one however. Think it will have an impact on residuals of the pls one though.

cozz
    Free Member

this year I was lucky enough to buy a new defender (I know what to expect, but no one makes anything else like it now, and land rover wont do for much longer)

anyhow, for LESS money the dealer had a 3 year old RR sport

think it was £28000, and just out of warranty – – run a mile, any problem will be in four figures

orangeboy
    Free Member

Just get a Toyota land cruiser. Not the little pedal or colarado
    But the big Amazon or what ever it’s now called

takisawa2

If money were no object I’d look at that latest shape X5 too.
    Wouldn’t touch a RR with a barge pole. You’ve got to be pretty daft to buy one. Money Pit.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I work next door to the local RR repair shop. Its a ‘very’ busy place. Mate had a Disco and without a warranty, he would have been homeless. Gearboxes and diffs like regular changing. He loved it sold it and madly bought a new one for £50k. Personally I found it wallowy, uncomfortable and sitting in the back, pretty uninspiring. Hope the RR is better. I know there are better ways to spend big money on cars and that’s not to…….

footflaps

My mates a drug dealer and bought one as all his fellow drug dealers had them and he felt left out. Main problem he has is that a lot of people mistake him for a pimp rather than a drug dealer, which is really starting to annoy him. He says the boot isn’t great for dead bodies either, it’s quite high and he could fit more in his old XC90.

rickmeister

So as a recap, you going to go for the 3yr RR Sport then.. ?

ourmaninthenorth

My mother has a 10yo RR Vogue. Bloody awful thing. Unreliable, expensive and unreliable. Did I say it was unreliable? And expensive? Well, it’s both.

My old boss had a RRS. Got a call from security one day to tell him he’d left the engine running. “It’s got a problem with the electrics and the battery goes flat if I switch it off.” “But the car park is a sealed basement….”

TheBrick
    Free Member

Went in one with work and found them to be very cheap and plasticy. This is coming from someone who drives a 11 year old van.

benji
    Free Member

When they are running right they are great, as long as you don’t drive an X5/Cayenne or something similar, at which point they don’t quite have it.

You want big pockets, it’s not going to be cheap to run, seen a couple of them with defective active anti-rollbars, it’s not uncommon for the garage bill to be a grand a visit. Service costs are equally high, there are better vehicles out there.

If it was my money, X5 is nice, Cayenne older version with a good private plate, Toureg are very impressive but not posey, Q7 is ok if you want more flash.

br
    Free Member

I was looking at a RR or Disco now think the XC90 is a much better prospect.

Based on my neighbours and an ex-bosses, I’d pass on the XC90.

I drove an RRS a while back, and ignoring the lack of performance (compared to the cars I was driving at the time) I liked them.

tbh Now rather than an RRS, I’d either go Disco if I needed the space or new Freelander if I didn’t – my wife has a new Freelander and it’s brill. Fast, safe, solid and well equipped; plus perfect for our rural Scotland location.

None are cheap to buy/run, but then neither are other cars of that price/style/ability.

spacemonkey

+1 X5 or one of the newer XC90s.

Didn’t RandomJezza of this very parish have a RRS a while back?

zokes
    Free Member

Evoque?

Freelander in a skirt?

And for all those bagging the RRS’s off-road credentials, it’s really just a Disco, and they go anywhere. Just stick the right tyres on and you’re away. As has been said, in standard trim (i.e. without aftermarket locking diffs), they’ll better the Defender in quite a few situations. Our Freelander 2, whilst by conventional wisdom is severely compromised off road, performs well beyond what you’d expect by virtue of Land Rover’s clever electronics. I’ve been straight through deep mud in it without an issue, where as a Patrol with standard central diff locked, and LSD on the rear just ground to a halt.

As for reliability, yeah, I’d worry about buying second hand with no warranty. Ours has managed to lunch its rear diff, and also forgot how much fuel it had, and it’s not quite three yet. But then we do use it off road a lot.

slowmart
    Free Member

X5’s are fine and i ran one 3 three years and it never missed a beat. Servicing is around a £1k a year however going pre owned id buy from a main dealer and have the extended warranty.

Comparing the RR Sport to the X5 the x5 beats it in every area except off road ability.

If your wife is set on the Sport i would suggest an extended Land Rover warranty and managing expectations for eye watering depreciation. Running costs would be similar to the X5 but BMW dealers i have generally found to be better.

If yo can stretch have a look at the FFRR which is better in every respect except running costs but worth every penny. 12 months in and i wouldn’t change

Trekster

Could probably buy a new Kia Sorrento for the same money and get a 7yr warranty 💡

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Bought a 55 plate Disco Dec 2006, Never missed a beat apart from having to fit the EGR blanking kit as it was lacking power on start up in cold weather ,cost me £50 and took an hour or so to fit. Its averaged 27 mpg since I bought it. I would throw your money at a newer Disco that the same coin you were spending on the Sport,and you can get the option for 7 seats.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Round our way RR sports are for the bling boys and the X5 for dealers…

Wouldn’t touch either…

iolo
    Free Member

Thanks,
    After reading this she has decided not to go for one.
    They had an Infiniti FX30d in the garage too which was cheaper. Anyone know anything about these?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why don’t you just get a Skoda Octavia VRS (as is the done thing on STW) and put winter tyres on it. It will be better in the snow than RR sport

andybanks
    Free Member

+1 for the VW Touareg

Great deals on the top spec r-line at the moment.

Much more subtle than a Range Rover Sport.

agent007
    Free Member

They had an Infiniti FX30d in the garage too which was cheaper. Anyone know anything about these?

Yep, it looks like a cheap, bland, poor, Chinese interpretation of the typical Essextastic 4×4, but is actually made by Nissan and costs rather a lot of money. Possibly the ugliest car I have ever had the misfortune to see on the road and all of them (all 3) I’ve seen so far have been driven by fat, balding, past middle aged sales type people.

Sorry, you asked 😉

iolo
    Free Member

They’re quite common in Austria and not so expensive second hand.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

catching up with this

bruk – Member
    Having just gone through this with my wife. Lots of snow last year means we have to get a 4×4 (never mind it was exceptional ). Do have to forgive her a bit as she did have to sleep in her office whilst heavily pregnant because she couldn’t get home because of the snow.

All this means is now she will sleep in the car by having the mistaken belief that 4×4 means drive anywhere. Just got to get round the other people stuck and the bit’s it won’t get through.

Seeing a number of 4×4’s bogged and stuck this weekend down here in tassie by people thinking that 4×4 = magic traction just all 4 wheels spinning.

Anyway why would you buy a RRS? Still trying to think of a reason…

bruk

To be fair she did have a BMW 3 series on pretty worn summer tyres at that stage and was fine once we put the winter wheels on it in worse snow later in he year.

That hasn’t convinced her that all we needed was to buy a newer 3 series though.

Logic.

maxtorque

3 series comes with 4wheel drive now BTW, a 330xd tourer would be pretty stonking on winters!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Range Rover Sport HSE’ is closed to new replies.