• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hugo.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Random text message question
  • flatfish
    Free Member

The wife is on a train to London this morning and it’s broken down, no surprise there.
    She’s had a random text from somebody asking a pretty specific question about their current situation.
    Is it possible to search for somebodies mobile phone by Bluetooth maybe, and message them?
    She’s quite nervous now.
    It’s an iPhone 6 if that matters.

soobalias
    Free Member

is the number witheld or just not known* to her phones contact list.
    *may not be the number where the text originated.

either ignore, or respond “you have the wrong number? who tf are you?”

take the tinfoil hat off, its most likely someone she knows, on another part of the same train who has her number.

nealglover
    Free Member

Sounds like bluejacking.

Not heard of that for years.

molgrips
    Free Member

What was the question?

flatfish
    Free Member

Something to do with the broken train that she’s on.
    Nothing pervy. Might have put a smile on her face if it was.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Some of my texts have been coming through with telephone numbers instead of the name in the contacts on my iphone 6 with latest OSX. Try entering the number in the phone and it should give you the name as you enter more digits if it’s a contact. Also try restarting the phone and see if that adds the name to the number.

deadkenny
    Free Member

flatfish – Member
    Is it possible to search for somebodies mobile phone by Bluetooth maybe, and message them?

Yes.

Personally I’d either turn off bluetooth entirely if you don’t use it or set it to not be discoverable if that’s an option.

Some places send out adverts or alerts via a broadcast bluetooth. I’ve had adverts in shopping centres that way. I believe it’s also possible via SMS if the place has a local cell. Again shopping centres do, and certain trains may do as well, though I’d expect messages to come from the operator not some random person on the train.

hugo
    Free Member

Maybe someone has seen her playing on Facebook/LinkedIn on her phone, checked out the name, gone to her profile and her number is on there.

Easy to do if you want to spook someone.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Random text message question’ is closed to new replies.