Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Random: Sectional vertical doors for garage
  • NZCol

Starting a garage project. For various space reasons we are looking at a vertical set of two roller doors that go round corners i.e. run in a track on the floor and hung on rail above – motorised. Anyone done this before – first door quote was just as well i was sitting down (13k)

TheFlyingOx

Could the solution be as simple as a set of normal roller doors turned on their side with some track guides welded on to the edges?

NZCol

It might be as essentially that’s all they are. Same motors just with guides the other way round. Has to be double doors as it gives us the ability to get another 2m of turning space in a tight area. Just wondered if anyone else had put these in.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Why not a sectional door lifting vertically?-is your garage going to be really wide? looking at replacing my up & over door for one but only a single garage. Wouldn’t lose a lot of valuable wall space with the setup you propose?.

NZCol

We have a height limitation and also required to have a sedum roof so we can’t fit the extra height of a sectional door in which is why we went to this solution. They look great but we might have to revisit it. Conservation area.

alanf
    Free Member

My Hormann only takes about 8 inches above the top of the door opening so not a massive amount of additional headroom required and it doesn’t need to be attached to the roof if that is also a problem.

NZCol

Yeah even that is too much, the side hanging rail system lets us get all the steel and stuff in to accomodate the roof under the allowed height. Its a 2.5 width garage. I might look at it again and see what we can do.

alanf
    Free Member

No problem, just thought I’d mention it.
    Seems like you are pretty restricted as to what you can have.
    Good luck with the search

welshfarmer

13K for an 8 foot door??? Someone is having a giraffe. How much depth do you have? Could some sort of concentina system work, 9 x 1 foot leaves would cover the gap and would fold up into a relatively small space on 1 or both sides and only impinge on a foot of space behind them when folding.

andyl
    Free Member

What about a tri or more fold door? You could have two that meet at a corner and lock at top and bottom and together.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Random: Sectional vertical doors for garage’ is closed to new replies.