Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Random marathon
  • piemonster

Strange urge, I’ve not trained for it. In fact I’ve not been over 12miles for 6 months.

But I woke up this morning with itchy feet and a particularly low quota of common sense. So off I go.

I’ll just take lots of food and pain killers, what can possibly go wrong. No idea where to go yet.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My brother does halves for the sake of it, just wakes up some mornings and goes for a run with no real idea where he’s going. S’pose it’s not different to getting the rod bike out for a spin and not coming back for 100 miles.

He is a bit manic depressive though so on a good day he probably does feel like he can take the world on!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Good luck!
    I reckon by mile 20 you’ll be thinking 20 miles would have been a nicer option 🙂

djglover
    Free Member

Which Marathon?

Having a similar thought process

Been doing AL fell races every other week for the last few months, but I’m switching to the road for the GNR next week. I bashed out 16 on the road yesterday at under 7 min miles so I’m thinking a sub 3 hour is eminently doable in the next 6 weeks.

Question is which one!

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t run on pain killers!

I often long to do similar on the bike. Or something like cycle down to London next time I have a meeting.. 150 odd miles… 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Why not just go run for 26 miles. Why does it need to be an event?

molgrips
    Free Member

I think that’s what the OP is suggesting Jamie.

Jamie
    Free Member

Ah right. My mistake. As you were, OP.

Edit: Has he gone yet?

surfer
    Free Member

Consider some of the LDWA routes. I decided to do the Sandstone trail and ran the first half as a reccy and did the second half (with a bit added on to make 27 miles) and I will put them both together when I feel like it. No pressure and lovely challenging countryside.

mogrim

My brother does halves for the sake of it, just wakes up some mornings and goes for a run with no real idea where he’s going. S’pose it’s not different to getting the rod bike out for a spin and not coming back for 100 miles.

Half marathon isn’t that far, assuming no major hills, I do that as a shorter long run most weekends… A full marathon is a bit more of a challenge, particularly if you haven’t been over 12miles for 6 months.

molgrips
    Free Member

Is he back yet?

wwaswas

No one ever interrupts a marathon for a pub lunch, do they?

It’s one reason I’ll never run one 🙂

theteaboy
    Free Member

A few years ago I got out of jury service a day early and woke up to a lovely day and itchy feet.

Instead of going back to work I put some running shoes on, grabbed a couple of Soreens and headed 2 miles up the hill to the Pennine Way. Ended up covering 48 miles to my in-laws’ house in about 10 hours.

I begged drinks from narrowboaters near Hebden Bridge and curry and chips from the chinese in Cononley en-route.

piemonster

Don’t run on pain killers!

I didn’t, don’t worry. Although I felt like it.

piemonster

Why not just go run for 26 miles. Why does it need to be an event?

Tis what happened, I had no work today.

piemonster

Good luck!
    I reckon by mile 20 you’ll be thinking 20 miles would have been a nicer option

Nearly, was actually at mile 26 wishing I’d stuck to the plan.

I stink something awful. I’m pretty sure I’ve not crapped myself. But it’s that level of stench, just a different flavour.

molgrips
    Free Member

Where’d you go, how long did it take?

piemonster

Tullybaccart, north of Dundee.

It was a figure of 8 loop done sort of twice. That way I could leave most of my food and drink at the car.

I threw in an extra bit, which proved unpleasant and I’m not actually sure how far I’ve been. But the original run was just over 27.

I smell really very bad.

piemonster

Oh, around 4:35

Jamie
    Free Member

I smell really very bad.

Then go have a shower before I get the mods to change your username to pongmonster.

piemonster

Agreed, I was actually a bit disgusted with myself driving back into town.

piemonster

Not much of an extra bit. 28m 3500ft of easy trails.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Random marathon’ is closed to new replies.