Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Random Crashes?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Crashed at the weekend, first propper high speed trip off the track in ages.

Came into a corner at a sensible speed as its a nicely bermed one at the bottom of an off camber downhill where bikers have taken the inside line so often the original trail now just makes up the structure for the berm (the turn is in the end of a 'valley').

Turn in

Just begin the pump with my legs and……………………

BANG, I'm on my head and the bikes bounced 15meters down the trail.

There were no sticks, no stones, no tree stumps, no roots, nothing! Just like I'd ridden into an invisible brick wall!

stumpy01

I've had one of these before….

Racing down 'Double Shocker' at Thetford with a mate, going way too fast really but it was going really well.
    God knows what happened, but all of a sudden I am flying through the air sideways, bike still attached. I landed really hard on my hip, at which point my cleats separated from my pedals and my bike carried on some distance down the trail.
    Once i got up, I went to have a look at what could have caused it, and there was a small root running along the trail with a nick in it and a small dip beside it. We could only come up with the idea that my suspension compressed through the dip and I whacked my pedal into the root, but the result seemed overly spectacular!!

jedi

you turned or leaned the bike in?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I did think something like that, but

a) I'm on a hardtail, so the BB shouldn't move that much
    b) I've a bash guard becasuse I'm a fassion victim!

Chainring is bent though, presumed that was when the bike carried on without me.

I though't I'd hit a badger/dog but the only evidence on the trail was what looks like both by wheels locking up at the same point, so unless I was brakign to avoid something and blanked that out of my memory I've no idea!

Pook

I had four one night, culminating in a 30mph slide on tarmac. Lost my mojo.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dunno, whatever comes naturaly, the crash was on the exit of the corner, last thing I remember was pushing with my feet to pump the bike out of the corner.

Trail goes somethign like this:

Off camber sloping to the left, outside/left pedal down,

Half a pedal stroke to bring the right pedal down and enter the berm/corner,

Quater pedal turn to bring my left foot to the front and pump out of the corner.

MartinGT
    Free Member

Ouch pook!

Something like that smashes your confidence man.

Aidan
    Free Member

I had one of those the other week…

On a singletrack section that crosses a fire road, I was looking uphill along the fire road to make sure it was clear and braking a bit in case I had to stop. The next thing I knew, I was on the ground with both knees having been hit so hard that I couldn't stand. It took me 10 minutes to be able to walk, about 20 to pedal, and a couple of weeks to be able to ride without pain.

It turns out that there was a trail-coloured tree stump hiding in the singletrack before the fire road. Doh!

mimi123
    Free Member

I had a rather stupid crash rather than the stupendous one you mentioned!

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I had a nice random crash in a wheat field near home. Not going too fast but suddenly found myself weaving around the bridleway and in a big heap in the crop.

All i can work out is that i hit a horse hoof hole which set me wobbling.
    The big flat patch in the crop was still there just before harvest 😳

Northwind

The joy of helmet cams is you can find your crash and figure out what happened. But sometimes…

Hmm, I just rode off the side of trail for absolutely no reason. What a knobber.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Random Crashes?’ is closed to new replies.