Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • ran over a toddler this morning
  • spacemonkey

Thinking about it, I’d +1 to reporting to the plod.

Who knows if the papa is capable of guessing your commute/timing and turning up announced one morning …

pdw
    Free Member

The hoods are an obviously compromised position for braking. If someone gave you a brake lever and said “pull that really hard” would you really put your hand on the far side of the pivot and try to press it from there? Or would you wrap your fingers around the tip of the lever and the handlebar and squeeze directly perpendicular to the lever?

With a decent set up braking from the hoods is fine most of the time, but it certainly wouldn’t be my first choice for an emergency stop.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve started using a hybrid now i’m commuting in the city too.

I’ve fitted new cables, new pads and cleaned the brakes/rims, but my road brakes (Shimano r650) are terrible compared to even cheap pair of V-brakes.

I find braking from the hoods gets a bit painful when doing it repetitively too (I’ve about 50 sets of traffic lights on my commute!).

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I left a tyre mark across the back of a small child once.

Is it wrong that that ^ made me laugh?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

This is also why Campag brakes are far superior to SRAM and Shimano ones. They actually work from the hoods and mean you don’t run over small children.

davetrave
    Free Member

coolhandluke – Member

I left a tyre mark across the back of a small child once.

Is it wrong that that ^ made me laugh?

Would’ve been better if it’d been a skid mark…

brakes
    Free Member

I would recommend upgrading to man-hands.

IanW
    Free Member

/\ what he said.

I have mans hands and can easily lock the wheels from the hoods, mind you I always slow down around kids and similar hazards so wouldnt need them.

fasthaggis

El Vino Try fitting V brakes with travel agents if you want more braking on your CX

devash
    Free Member

I had problems with the canti brakes on my Specialized Tricross for a while. Nearly sailed into the back of a van doing an emergency stop, and took out a Labrador which ran into the road during the commute one morning (fortunately I stayed up, dog was fine, owner very apologetic).

Replaced the brake pads with some Kool Stop dual compound and learned how to properly set up and maintain cantis and now the braking power is much better.

Still intending on upgrading to a disc road frame in the future though.

peabrain
    Free Member

I’ve been on the other side of this, but luckily my son wasn’t hit.

We were at one of those bikefest things, and there was an airbag set up. Riders were cycling very fast down a path towards the airbag, and we were walking up beside the path.

Quick as a flash my 2 year old ran out in front of a bike. The (lovely lovely) young man stopped his bike just in time. I said something along the lines of “Thank goodness for brakes!” All the BMXers looked at me and said “He doesn’t have brakes…”

irc

So hit and run when her husband finds out and gets angry. It takes 10 minutes and covers your arse.

It isn’t a hit and run. Cyclists are under no legal duty to report any accidents. That only applies to drivers of motor vehicles.

MrNice
    Free Member

have we really not yet asked “what tyres for running over a toddler?”

brakes
    Free Member

Maxxis Minion?

MrNice
    Free Member

or high (chair) roller?

allthepies
    Free Member

Furious Fred (the father)

Northwind

Maxxis Childrollers.

aracer
    Free Member

Maxxis Shorty?

IA

Kenda Kiddies?

Northwind

Kinder Excavator

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Edit: This one time a child scootered into my wheel.

Mum went MAD. I just went home. Child’s fault.

molgrips
    Free Member

I can brake almost as well from the hoods. However in very wet conditions nothing works, hoods or drops, with my 105 brakes. Apparently upgrading to Ultegra helps.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘ran over a toddler this morning’ is closed to new replies.