Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Ramsbottom to Lee/Cragg quarry route
  • mos

We’re off to do Lee/Cragg in a few weeks & a mate lives in Ramsbottom, which seems a good place to start, but we can’t quite suss a good route across Scout Moor. Does anyone have any suggestions?

grum
    Free Member

binners will probably be along shortly – he lives round there and was talking about doing this the other week.

binners

Did someone mention Rammy?

Righty ho: Are you looking for a direct route from Rammy up to Cragg? If so, you can take the quicker off-road route uppast the fishermans retreat to the Edenfield road, then coal road up to the turbines and Cragg Quarry.

OR…. if you’re after something a tad more interesting, then we GPS’ed this not long back, which takes in the tower on Rammy side first, then up to Cragg. Once you’re there its a doddle to get over to Lee if you want to sling that in too. Just pick up the pennine Bridleway t’other side of Cragg Quarry. Its a big climb to get back up though.

Rammy route

But it will let you finish on this…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X8t3OUnEn8[/video]

A few of the usual suspects off here on the descent from Cragg back down to Rammy. I’d have happily shown you round but we’re off up to Dalbeatie this weekend

sefton
    Free Member

I went through cragg on Saturday (on the cx bike) and was amazed only to see 2 other riders! nice sunny Saturday afternoon – whats the matter with people?

binners

SSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH!! You’ll have ’em all turning up 😉

big_n_daft
    Free Member

sefton – Member
    I went through cragg on Saturday (on the cx bike) and was amazed only to see 2 other riders! nice sunny Saturday afternoon – whats the matter with people?

a large number of Lee Quarry riders walk up into the quarry, do you really see them using Cragg?

jswan
    Free Member

It’s always quiet at Cragg which is nice. We went upto Peel tower for the first time last night from Turton, good ride and those turbines looked tantalizingly close.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

As and alternastive up to the lights on Walmersley road , go up the bridelway ,shipperbottom lane up over the lumpy bits and go to the right where it forks follow this up to a tee junction past the old school house ,bear left and follow it up to the road [ a681 rochdale rd] turn left and then go right up the coal road , trun right at the top and follow turbine supply road around bearing left, cut accross the bbit of moorland to the top of bing and drop into Cragg.

sefton
    Free Member

where in Turton you from mate?

ransos
    Free Member

Resurrecting this as I’m in Rammy this weekend. Now, I can vaguely remember where Cragg quarry is (though I last went there about 15 years ago!) but not how you get across to Lee quarry. From the map, it looks as though there’s a route northstraight across Brandwood Moor from Rooley Moor road, is that the right one?

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Head east along PBW from Cragg. South-east up along Rooley Moor Road.

Look out for obvious purpose-built bike track off to left/north as you crest the hill.

Try not to go too fast! 🙂

binners

That’s the one! You can’t go far wrong really. Stay on the solid surfaced trails on the way up though. The moors are like bogs. Literally! Its hard going. But we were up at Cragg Quarry at the weekend. Its fine up there

ransos
    Free Member

Cheers guys. The wind turbines weren’t built last time I rode round that way, so I used to climb up through Edenfield then up Sand Beds lane to the top. I assume though that up Bamford road, along Rochdale road then the wind farm access road (coal road?) would be a better route?

binners

That route is fine Ransos. You’re on hardpack for pretty much your whole route. What time you riding?

ransos
    Free Member

Weather looks best on Sunday morning… would that suit? I’d need to be back lunchtime ish though.

binners

I’m out Saturday fella. Probably Gisburn as it’ll be properly drainined. Have a good ‘un though. We were up at Cragg last Saturday in glorious sunshine and it was great 😀

spyke85
    Free Member

Edinburgh Bicycle Coop are there this weekend with Whyte doing a demo day

stumpyjon

Download your maps of both quarries and the link path from here http://www.pmba.org.uk/leeandcragg.htm

ransos
    Free Member

That was terrific. Up through the lanes in Nangreaves to the Edenfield rd, up by Fecit farm to the wind turbines, and across a boggy bit (up to the axles here!) to Cragg quarry. I then took the new path over to Lee, back to Cragg for a play (had the whole place to myself), then along the pennine bridleway, cut back along Waugh’s well, back down past Fecit farm, down Bamford road, round the back of the quarry then down the steep rocky path to the lights at the top of Bury New Rd.

Of the two, I preferred cragg quarry as the trail seemed to flow much better.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Ramsbottom to Lee/Cragg quarry route’ is closed to new replies.