Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Raleigh wtfork?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Was looking online and spotted this on the 2017 ‘Centros 2’

Listed in spec as ‘inline fork’

Is it a de-badged Headshok? Anyone know? I had something like this on an old 1990s Cannondale Silk Road which I assumed was the ‘proto-gravel-bike’. Could be an interesting short-travel rough-road fork resurrection if designed to eliminate or at least reduce the servicing costs of old?

scotroutes

Not sexy enough. Fox are going to bring out a short travel fork that will have the grrrrravelers moist.

FWIW I’ve argued for some time that a 30mm travel fork would be ideal for bikepacking and rough road stuff.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

not mixing bikes with sex is just one of my anti-STW foibles 😉

So I had a look about and seems the Cannondale Adventure One is equipped with an RST A7 (35mm) monoshock fork:

RST branded Headshok on Cannondale?? Or a redesign? But it looks like a different fork to the one on the Raleigh. Plot thickens.

*Edit. Also this:
    Carbon mono-shock gravel-fork prototype ?

No other mentions anywhere online?

midlifecrashes

Have a look at the Koga website. Loads of similar but neater versions on there too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I am liking:

1. “WTFork”

2. Druid’s industry-leading ideas 😛

Rockshox prototyped a road version of the Mag 21 in the 90s for the cobbles. I imagine setting spring rate and damping would be tricky. And what would the benefits of 30mm over 80, to anyone that does not pedal in squares?

shermer75
    Free Member

Does that Cannondale have a flex stem?

tomhoward

Cannondale use the lefty short travel (40mm IIRC) version for its gravel bikes now.

Doubt it’s a debadged headshok too, it looks like one, in the same way that all other suss forks look broadly similar, but aren’t the same, just with different stickers…

jimbobo
    Free Member

Rick shox ruby anyone?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Koga website. Loads of similar but neater versions on there too.

Thnks had a look. Seems to be a few hybrids on there with the same fork model (Koga ‘Feather Shock’)?

Again, interesting, but again there seems a dearth of mechanical/spec info on any of these. My interest in these types of fork leans (obviously) not really towards aesthetics (although really dislike the look of the lefty) but function/servicing cost/intervals. While the Headshok internals were mostly contained in the steerer-tube up in the integrated headset, these RSTs (and Koga?) seem to have gubbins all to contained within the booted section of the steerer?

Since first riding an old F400 I’ve since favoured Headshoks for the (most) solid tracking and lockout but not so much for lack of damping and proneness to shockingly 🙂 regular, complex (and therefore expensive) servicing.

That said, the short-travel Headshok on the Silkroad Tour was a roadie revelation to me touring on farm tracks, badly-repaired/rough tarmac. I was genuinely surprised how light the whole bike was considering it had front suspension and touring kit.

Sticking with rigid steel for now on new bike but will keep an eye out for carbon monoshocks if they resurface

cynic-al
    Free Member

Again, interesting, but again there seems a dearth of mechanical/spec info on any of these

It’s OEM on mid range hybrids, it’s not going to be light or performance, and they are unlikely to be releasing spec on them.

I’d guess you’ll struggle to buy them also.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

These have been kicking around on city bikes for a few years now, they are mostly fairly crap elastomer sprung things which have plenty of wobble, clonk and bang.

The only “good” think about them is that they all seem to slot into a fairly stock 1 1/8th headtube.
    Theres also a cheap linkage fork from suntour, the swing i think.

RockShox Paris Roubaix SL, then ruby and ruby metro (i think) were ok, but died a death when none of the top teams used them.

Also a “bit twangy” according to people who’ve ridden them more than me (car park test doesn’t count!)

matt_outandabout

Not just gravelling scotroutes – i think a bunch of commuters too would work well with short travel headshock-a-like fork.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

^ Yeah the old 65mm spring Headshok was a boingy thing. Wish I’d gotten my hands on one of the aftermarket air cartridge units, can’t remember who made them now.

Found a bit about the current RST ones Here

Our patented SquareBore® technology incorporates 32 needle bearings rather than alloy keyways, that other posts (sic?) use, to prevent side to side rotation. This system virtually eliminates the chance that the post will ever develop side to side play

retro83
    Free Member

Those original headshoks were great for road chatter as well. Absolutely no static friction meant you could have a hard spring but it still took away the buzz.

Northwind

Time for the triumphant return of the flexstem!

Northwind

Too soon?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Never is too soon.

tomhoward

Never is too soon.

Don’t tell Specialized, they’ll be furious…

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Maybe they’ll sue.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Raleigh wtfork?’ is closed to new replies.