Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Raleigh Royal – Opinions please?
  • sandwicheater

Going to get a dedicated commuter for work in the New Year. Ride is between 12-16 miles each way and for the money they look ace.

Want guards and panniers.

Worth a punt or perhaps a quality second hand bike is a better idea?

I know little to nothing when it comes to road bikes so suggestions/advice greatly received.

keaboing
    Free Member

They’ve got a certain retro appeal to them I’d agree, and for the money (~£400) it looks OK as a commuter. Might want/need to upgrade/replace some of the components in time as you gets what you pay for.

sandwicheater

That’s what concerns me. Don’t want to have to pay more for kit almost immediately. I guess that risk is there with anything I buy.

Moses

The Royal I had in 1968 was a fine bike. 5-speed, cottered cranks, Mavic brakes. It took me from the NE down to Ipswich & back, & across the Lakes.
    A modern version might be even better.

shermer75
    Free Member

This guy’s done a fair few miles on one and seems pretty happy with it:

Link

shermer75
    Free Member

CTC seem to think that a Revolution Country Traveller is much better value for money:

Link

shermer75
    Free Member

Even better when you look at this price:

£380.00

sandwicheater

Your nostalgialogic is much appreciated.

Cheers for that shermer, reckon that would be a better fit!

taxi25
    Free Member

Unless you’re going to load it up and go touring a 30lb+ bike is going to make for a dull commute 🙁
    Sonething like the Ribble audax would be a lort more versatile and fun for £600.
    Half that on ebay.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bbd/road-track-bike/ribble-7005-audax-winter-training?part=BB13RIB7005AUDAXWINT&sub=conf_BBRW&bike=1

maxlite
    Free Member

Revolution Country Traveller is amazing value…if you also intend to tour or commute year round.

I still run a 1984 Raleigh Classic for winter commute

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Raleigh Royal – Opinions please?’ is closed to new replies.